Labels done! What do y'all think?

Nice adjustments with the labeling...

I also agree with "No" being a no. Phrasing such as "All Natural" is more upbeat and eye appealing

Good luck with the final run...

Greg

Nice adjustments with the labeling...

I also agree with "No" being a no. Phrasing such as "All Natural" is more upbeat and eye appealing

Good luck with the final run...

Greg

Yeah, usually the Nos are reserved for natural ingredients that people are staying away from, as in... "All-natural... Gluten-Free" etc. But the No list is usually because for some reason it is not all natural, otherwise they'd state it.

My experience has been whenever someone tries it who's health conscious, they always ask the same questions:
1. Does it have any artificial colors/flavors
2. Do you add preservatives?
3. Only peppers or do you "cheat" with powders or liquid concentrate capsaicin?

Thus the 3 "No's" we're born. I get what you guys are saying, and if I find down the road it's hurting more than helping I can always change it, but for the time being I think that part's ok.

I know you're under the gun to get these done, but my feeling on the "No's" is they are unnecessary. People who ask those questions are label-readers anyway, and all of your ingredients are easily recognized and understood. Did you ever see the ice cream commercial with the little kid trying to pronounce "poly-di-sa-cha-ride" or whatever it was? Then there was the other ice cream with "cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla".

You have chiles listed 3 times. "roasted chile peppers, chile peppers, cayenne peppers." The only question I think people might have is..."what's the second chile pepper?". If you identify that chile as dried, fresh, paste, whatever, I don't think anyone would even ask about added capsaicin/extracts.

You can combine all of the chiles under one listing if there are no other ingredients attached to any of the chiles, like if oil is used on the roasted chiles, it is supposed to be listed. Since it isn't, I'm assuming there's nothing added, so you can combine your chiles to say, "roasted and dry chiles", or "roasted chiles, dried chiles" or " roasted and fresh chiles" or "roasted chiles, fresh and dried chiles". No use giving out more information about your product and recipe than necessary. Personally, I wouldn't list cayenne as a separate ingredient, I'd include it with one of the other chile listings.

It doesn't matter what form the chiles are in (paste, dried, fresh, etc) as long as there are no other items in or on the chiles, like salt or vinegar in a mash. I understand wanting to call out the roasted chiles as that is a big part of the flavor and uniqueness of your sauces.

You could easily work the words "all natural" into the text, like... "...adding all natural savory heat without overpowering food." Working the same facts into the text would make it seem not like a No-No list.

If you really feel it's necessary to have those 3 items on the label, I'd suggest putting the "all natural" in the left side text, and put "no artificial color, artificial flavor, preservatives or added capsaicin." at the end of your ingredients list.

When looking at the label after this discussion, the :BOLD: no's seem scolding.

(picture school marm shaking finger...)
NO running in the halls.
NO talking in class.
NO bathroom breaks until the end of the day.

We could talk this thing to the end of the year, but you have a deadline, so go with what you feel is best and like you said, if it needs changing, there's always the next run.

...and I'm not trying to change your mind, but here's a good example:

7-UP, a couple years ago, put "All Natural" on their label.
After controversy because it has HFCS, they dropped it and used a No list... they may have dropped that now too not sure.
The all-encompassing YES is better than the NOs.

I know you're under the gun to get these done, but my feeling on the "No's" is they are unnecessary. People who ask those questions are label-readers anyway, and all of your ingredients are easily recognized and understood. Did you ever see the ice cream commercial with the little kid trying to pronounce "poly-di-sa-cha-ride" or whatever it was? Then there was the other ice cream with "cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla".

You have chiles listed 3 times. "roasted chile peppers, chile peppers, cayenne peppers." The only question I think people might have is..."what's the second chile pepper?". If you identify that chile as dried, fresh, paste, whatever, I don't think anyone would even ask about added capsaicin/extracts.

You can combine all of the chiles under one listing if there are no other ingredients attached to any of the chiles, like if oil is used on the roasted chiles, it is supposed to be listed. Since it isn't, I'm assuming there's nothing added, so you can combine your chiles to say, "roasted and dry chiles", or "roasted chiles, dried chiles" or " roasted and fresh chiles" or "roasted chiles, fresh and dried chiles". No use giving out more information about your product and recipe than necessary. Personally, I wouldn't list cayenne as a separate ingredient, I'd include it with one of the other chile listings.

It doesn't matter what form the chiles are in (paste, dried, fresh, etc) as long as there are no other items in or on the chiles, like salt or vinegar in a mash. I understand wanting to call out the roasted chiles as that is a big part of the flavor and uniqueness of your sauces.

You could easily work the words "all natural" into the text, like... "...adding all natural savory heat without overpowering food." Working the same facts into the text would make it seem not like a No-No list.

If you really feel it's necessary to have those 3 items on the label, I'd suggest putting the "all natural" in the left side text, and put "no artificial color, artificial flavor, preservatives or added capsaicin." at the end of your ingredients list.

When looking at the label after this discussion, the :BOLD: no's seem scolding.

(picture school marm shaking finger...)
NO running in the halls.
NO talking in class.
NO bathroom breaks until the end of the day.

We could talk this thing to the end of the year, but you have a deadline, so go with what you feel is best and like you said, if it needs changing, there's always the next run.

You've convinced me. :cheers:

I am removing the 3 NO's and replacing with "All natural, with a variety of fresh and dried hot peppers."

that will help to explain the pepper listed 3 times in ingredients, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Up
Correction:
They went from:
"100% Natural"
to
"100% Natural Flavors" meaning just the flavors are natural but other stuff isn't.

Anyway... carry on with however you see fit and best for you!

No, going with y'all's advice (that was a word, right?)

I think "all natural" sounds better and kills two birds with one stone by adding more description of the peppers too.

Thank you guys so much - it's really kind of you to take the time and effort to help like this.
:cheers:

Well, hopefully some of the suggestions help. The Food biz is a competative biz, so any advantage you can get on your label is a good thing. In the end, it's your vision that will make the final decision.

I find it interesting how the conversation evolved, and one person's observations triggers another's inspirations. :cool:, huh?

Well, hopefully some of the suggestions help. The Food biz is a competative biz, so any advantage you can get on your label is a good thing. In the end, it's your vision that will make the final decision.

I find it interesting how the conversation evolved, and one person's observations triggers another's inspirations. :cool:, huh?

They ALL helped. And indeed some of these things inspired some other things from me as well.
:D

One thing I was inspired to do was to take water out of the ingredients list - the only reason it's in there is because I use 5% acidity and the mfgr is using a commercial strength and watering it down. So why list the water? They're just making 5% vinegar, and they said it's perfectly legit to simply list 5% vinegar as the ingredient. So now that's changing too.

Also the all black fonts look MUCH better - cleaner, tighter, easier to read. That was a GREAT suggestion!

I haven't see it without the "No no no" section, but I have confirmation that I'm allowed to put [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"All natural, with a variety of fresh and dried hot peppers"[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]While the food business is indeed a very competitive one, the more time I spend on here the more I realize that hot sauce folks are the best of the breed when it comes to friendly competition. I'd experienced that before at the food shows, but it's absolutely awesome how folks root for each other and help one another out. I think it's because at heart we're all fans of hot peppers and hot sauce. Whatever the reason, I'm totally grateful to everyone for their input and support. This is the best online community I've ever been a part of. [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]:cheers: [/background]

Behold, the final, final, final LDHS labels. No foolin' this time - they're going to the printer 1st thing in the morning after mfgr approval (which I fully expect as there was just one tiny change left which is now done).

I cannot thank you all enough for the feedback - between this community and the Lucky Dog Hot Sauce fans on facebook the feedback I received was incredibly beneficial. For those who took the time and energy to help I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help - so instead I'll be contacting you for an address when I have product so I can send you a bottle for free. :cheers:

So that all said, here are the actual FINAL labels.
Changes since page 1:
Romance panel all black font.
Removed the No No No and replaced with a blurb about all natural and enhanced the product description further still.
Named the sauces in the romance panel and provided detailed descriptions of peppers used
Dozens of small seemingly insignificant subtle changes (justification, alignment, phrasing, tilde over the N in jalapeno, etc) that collectively make a HUGE difference.

:dance:

This is a flat graphic - what you can't see is the option I worked out with my printer today - they're using a metalized/foil label (with the clear-coat UV coating) - so with their technique the sunburst, the horseshoe, the LUCKY DOG, FOOD'S BEST FRIEND and the little pepper silhouettes will all be shiny/reflective. Which should look very very very cool.
:D

Once again, thank you to all who helped - it really made a difference!

OH WAIT! STOP THE PRESSES! I JUST NOTICED...... (JK!)

...what great looking labels these are!

You've really dialed it in for the first run and from here, you can adjust a little as you go.

Over the years, I've never changed the ingredients of the salsa or the chile pepper logos for the label. We updated the font twice (in 18 years) but it seems like every 6 months, the AJH changes what they want listed for address, contact, physical plant location, 24/7 phone contact number, what spices have to be listed, social security number, slavery rights to first born child.....:rolleyes:

If they had their druthers, we'd all be publishing the recipe of the sauce on the label complete with exact measurements and cooking processes.

Sorry for the little hi-jack...Looking forward to hearing about your sauce company getting on out there.

Thinkin the foil added to the labels will look nice. Not overly done and will definetly add some kick to it.
Now ya can relax for a few and kick back a couple cold ones!
Cheers!

We're working that our now - turns put it has the effect of muting colors....so I may just go with LUCKY DOG, FOOD'S BEST FRIEND, and the horseshoe - apparently gold looks great.

The printer's going to play with it & propose something. She thinks maybe making the main color reflective with the pinstripe nonreflective will have a dramatic effect.

Either way I think it's going to look great!

Back