LAND OF THE GIANTS 2016 - Biggest Jim Competition

Geonerd said:
I'm out.  

After several random disasters forced re-planting of BJ seeds, the f**king birds just murdered my last BJ starts.  The f**kers pull up any plant under ~4 inches and just leave it to die.  In today's 108 temperatures, this takes about 4 f**king minutes.
I've had that happen several times! Birds and squirrels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Big Kahuna said:
First ripe peppers (regular Big Jim).
Wow great work Big Kahuna!

I make that pod, 10.6cm circumference and 16.2cm long and new leader!  :fireball:
Geonerd said:
I'm out.  

After several random disasters forced re-planting of BJ seeds, the f**king birds just murdered my last BJ starts.  The f**kers pull up any plant under ~4 inches and just leave it to die.  In today's 108 temperatures, this takes about 4 f**king minutes.
Oh no!  Sorry to hear that Geonerd. 

Geonerd said:
I'm out.  

I know what you mean. Between birds and other vermin I can't get a break with my BJWR or any other sweet peppers. I'm about ready to go all out nuclear on my back yard. Even my Jamaican Perfume pods are getting raided down to nothing but stem and a little skin.
My superhots are doing fine

For whatever reason, I seem unable to edit the post at the top of the thread (or any posts for that matter?).

In the meantime, here is an update to the leader board, another entry from Ben at CG in at top spot for now.

Biggest Individual Pod Leaderboard
1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 19.2cm long and 11.6cm in circumference, score 30.8
2. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
3. Coldsmoke, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
4. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 22
5. Skullbiker, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 11.3 cm long and 8.5 cm circumference, score 19.8
6. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 11cm long and 8.1cm circumference, score 19.1

Team Challenge Leaderboard
CG Total Score = 30.8
1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 30.8

THP Total Score = 70.9
1. Coldsmoke, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
2. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 11cm long and 8.1cm circumference, score 19.1
3. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8

Hawaiianero said:
I know what you mean. Between birds and other vermin I can't get a break with my BJWR or any other sweet peppers. I'm about ready to go all out nuclear on my back yard. Even my Jamaican Perfume pods are getting raided down to nothing but stem and a little skin.
My superhots are doing fine

D3monic said:
I had a nice one going and then the damn birds got to it.

Seems like the death squad of Big Jim eating pigeons I dispatched are doing a fine job of it! 

Seriously though gents, sorry to hear about this... must be very frustrating.  Aphids and Earwigs are plaguing me at the moment, but leaving my Big Jim's alone thankfully. 

I'm not in the competition, never thought I'd be able to compete plus I never have figured out how to post pictures. Anyhow, this weekend I picked some Big Jim's off plants I had overwintered. Two pods are almost 18 cm.

Wait!

I discovered a 'vanilla' B.J. seedling that was just a sprout when the feathered monsters attacked.  The plant is only about 6 inches tall now, but with the long growing season....  

At least I'll have an excuse to visit this thread, look at other's plants, and feel sub-standard.   :confused:

:)

Great work Ted!  New leader ahoy!

I've had a sneaky measure and the pods growing on my WR plant are at about 18cm and still growing hopefully!

Biggest Individual Pod Leaderboard
1. Skullbiker, World Record Big Jim, 22.4cm long by 11.1cm circumference, total score 33.5 
2. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 19.2cm long and 11.6cm in circumference, score 30.8
3. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8
4. Coldsmoke, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
5. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 22
6. Skullbiker, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 11.3 cm long and 8.5 cm circumference, score 19.8
7. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 11cm long and 8.1cm circumference, score 19.1

Team Challenge Leaderboard
CG Total Score = 30.8
1. Ben123, World Record Big Jim, 14cm long and 8cm in circumference, score 30.8

THP Total Score = 70.9
1. Coldsmoke, Numex Heritage Big Jim, 16cm long and 9cm in circumference, score 25
2. mrgrowguy, Numex Heritage Big Jim. 11cm long and 8.1cm circumference, score 19.1
3. Big Kahuna, Numex Big Jim, 16.2cm long and 10.6cm circumference, score 26.8

(Does anyone know why I can't edit previous / old posts?)

My Big Jim Heritage seeds came direct from the Chilli Pepper Institute - at the moment, the pods look nothing like they should?!  Small, fat and squat?
3c4898fbfe200f48eed236421e3e4147.jpg

The WR Big Jim on the other hand is really flying now in the 26l SWP, some biggies forming up... non quite big enough yet to topple the current leader but I'm hopeful!
9dd577c2e9c4fcd106e93635f93e95dd.jpg

Back