• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lazies 2011 grow log

Well I have decided to start a grow log this season. Nothing too exciting to post yet. Started to germinate on the 6th and have a ton of work to do on the hill side garden.

Okay so due not wanting to spend extra money on a heating pad I have the following set up for germination:
Jiffy mini green house on top of my dehydrator on low. Keeps it at the right temp:

SIJP7.jpg

The location of the hill side garden, I figured the hill will work fine because it will not pool up with all the excessive water we get here in Wa:
tratu.jpg

decided to break ground and see what I had to work with in terms of soil. To my dismay the dark soil was something they used to cover nothing but clay and rocks. And if your wondering what is going on with the stakes on the right its because my neighbors have a pit bull that has dug thru the fence and as you can see to the left he started to dig thru again, I spoke with the owners and was advised the dog has never been socialized with other dogs however they will be moving at the end of the month.
MTZ8a.jpg

And yes if you keep up with my grow log you will have to endure random pictures of my dogs:
kvHd4.jpg

I have however come up with a solution to for the soil that will be cost effective. I will be growing lots of vegetables and other things as well but here is my grow list for peppers:
7 Pod Primo
7 pod -Patrick
7 pod Barrackpore -Patrick
7 Pod Yellow -HP
7 pod Brain Strain PRF
Star Fish - Big Egg
White Hab -Hot Pooper
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorp Morouga Bigg Egg
Naga Dorset
Yellow Scorpion Cardi- Cmpman1974
Caribean Red
NagaPeno hybrid from Hot Pooper
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Douglah PRF
Bhut-Silver Surfer
Bhut J Chocolate -Patrick
Bhut Carbon -HP
Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet -SS
Yellow Rocoto -Josh
Devils Tongue

I will be germinating more soon and have tried my best to keep track of who has given me seeds or what peppers I got the seeds from ext. Most of them that are not marked are from peppers I got from CCN. Now I just have to figure out how to hang the massive 400W ballast I have.

Thanks guys! Marla is a sweet heart, likes to climb in your lap and cuddle up and sleep. However she is getting to large for this but fails to realize it. She is very sweet and no signs of trying to be the alpha dog.

Aggreeed! This is getting out of hand.
3Pqt5.jpg

I usually open the window and fan fresh air on my plants each day. Looks like they will have to suffer today.

Fire and Ice....... nice photo Laz! It was 17.1°f at my home yesterday when I went to work.....Gad thats too cold!!!! Scotty puppy sure loves the snow though....

I know about the nute burn, had a bit myself........ see the photos in my grow log......

Looks great, nice and clean. I have been dying to try Hydro. Up to this point the family has been very patient with me taking over half the house with my seedlings. I think a hydro setup would push them over the edge LOL. I will be eagerly watching.

My biggest worry about hydro is the cost of lighting and nutrients.. and the fact that I've never done it before.
I've seen ebb and flow systems outdoors before though but I've never seen a tutorial on how to set it up.
I mean I've watched some youtube videos but nothing in depth enough to have a go at it myself.

Thanks guys, maybe I will throw together a video. Here is a summary of costs ext. maybe some hydro guys can correct any errors

Please note the are not exact costs but close.

Home Depot:
14 gallon tote $10.00 (use rubbermade, it will not crack when you drill holes in it.)
10 gallon tote $7.50
Found a piece of PVC pipe that was just the right size next to the tubing.
PVC $2.50
3/4th in tubing for water pump $3.00

hydro shop, because the aquarium store I went to did not have the supplies.

water pump $10
air pump $8

Total cost of basic hydro set up $41.00

50 liters of hydroton (grow medium, clay peppbles)= $40

total cost is now $81.00 however you can use a smaller amount of whatever grow medium you choose.

Timer capable of running very short intervals, make sure it doesnt say something like minim run time 30 minutes. Sorry forgot about that. $25
new total is $106.00

Okay now what everybody is questioning and for good reason, nutrients. We've all been in the hydro store and saw the 2 gallon bottle of nutes for $250.00 or so and thought there is no way I can afford this. Those however are for people with very large grow operations. The first thing you need to do is pick what type of nutes you want to use. I choose botanicare because AJ uses it. Lets take a look at the nute chart:

http://www.indoorgardendepot.net/pdf/BotanicareFeedSchedule_0507.pdf

hmm I cant be certain but I'm betting that light sched and time frame is for cannabis :) haha.

So your going to need 3 nutes for sure, and a few optional ones is always nice but not necessary. I bought one quart of the pro grow for a whopping 15 bucks. My system is going to require 8 gallons of water in order to make sure that the water pump stays completely submerged while its flooding the top container.

recommended use of this product, seedlings 1 1/2 tsp for seedlings, mid size vegetative 1 tbs, full grown vegetative 2 tbs mature vegetative plants.

okay math time!
1 quart =32 ounces, 32x2 =64 tablespoons in a quart.

reservoir needs to be flushed every 10-14 days. I am cheap will do every two weeks.

8 gallons of water will require 8 tablespoons of pro grow. this means that this little quart of nutes will last me for two months during the mid sized vegetative state and one month during mature vegetative state.

So maybe all in all in hindsight, I spent a little bit more than I thought with optional nutes ext ext and totals around $150.00 still way cheaper than buying one pre made. and EVERYTHING is reusable. The only thing I will need next year is the nutes.

SO anybody that wants to try hydro think about this, try one plant in hydro, here is what you need.
5 gallon bucket 6
air pump 10
net pot 0.45
nutes quart will last you 4/2 months. $15

try growing one plant in hydro for around 50 bucks with nutrients. If my math is incorrect please feel free to correct me lol. This is for a DWC system in a 5 gal bucket.

I have my eye on a 600W grow lamp/ballast set up at the hydro store for only $180.00, I really want it lol.

oh yeah other misc supplies
rockwool 2 bucks
PH tester, 8 bucks

I did a ph test on my tap water and its OVER 7!?! So for those of you who have run into this problem what did you do for your potted plants? Use ph down in a bucket than water them from that?? Thing when I drain the hydro res I could save and water my potted plants with that water?

You picked four perfect peppers. Go with the theme, I like that. That will be alot of bang for your buck come harvest time.

Back