• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Least favorite varieties

My least favorite one is the 'dutch red' it's the one hot pepper you can always find fresh in every supermarket here. But it doesn't have very much heat, and I'm bored with it :)

I grew a Bancock upright plant this summer just gone.

The forst pepper went red...... i tasted it and these things made PC-1's taste like lobster

It was bitter and unplesant. A bit of heat there but not worht keeping.

THe plant went strait in the bin

cheers

chilliman64 said:
I'd disappointed to hear the Broome Chilli is a dud as I plan on growing a few this season. also shocked to hear that cayennes are not liked by most. I like cayennes for their crunchiness and fresh taste, agreed they're not super hot but a little variety is good. I had read varying reports re the pc-1 and steered clear of it, good job I did.

what don't I like? I would have to say that my least favourite is the jalapeno. I just find it hard to make friends with that pod. it fails miserably in the heat department and I find them virtually tasteless, they're just a big green boring lump. even ripe red ones fail to satisfy. I like them even less when pickled as they give me the trots. another thing I don't like about them is how neophyte chile eaters tell me how they love the heat of the jal - :rolleyes: IMHO the most boring pepper on the planet! if I had to choose between jalapeno or no chile at all, I'd take the second option.

anti-jalapeno rant now officially ended

Your not alone. I actually feel the same way about cayennes and jalapenos. While I LOOOOOOOVE the really hot ones I happen to like the cayennes quite a bit. I'm actually still growing a couple of those ones. My wife uses them in spaghetti which is good, and it's what I use the most of in chili.(Fresh is outstanding by the way. Not like powder.) I actually am not a fan of jalapeno's as well. Those would be my least liked, over-rated chili. I tend to like really fruity-hot peppers so naturally I love my habs. As far as some of the other chilis to taste test. I have a few more this year. Hope to find yet one that I like even more.:D

P.S.- Polical correctness drives me insane. I respect people willing to just talk. You as well as Omri seem ok in my book too. You both seem like cool people that if I ran into I'd have a couple beers with. However, you guys live quite a ways from the Detroit area. Australia and Israel are pretty expensive plane tickets..lol!! I actually like the fact that you don't play the PC game. Just my .02 cents.

must admit i tried some birdseye last week and was not impressed..it was a shop bought variety so maybe that has something to do with the taste ?:rolleyes::(

rainbowberry said:
Personally I find that Birdseye lack any flavour, they've got the heat but not great on flavour.
Sadly they do have flavor, crappy one. I like them dry, then they have no flavor and just heat. :)

Don't get me wrong, they're a great source of heat. the lack of flavor could be a good thing, because now you can add it to anything you like.

rabbit said:
I actually am not a fan of jalapeno's as well. Those would be my least liked, over-rated chili.

same here, jalapenos are soooooo over rated. & sadly thats the flavor used for most chips/snacks :rolleyes:

chilehunter said:
same here, jalapenos are soooooo over rated. & sadly thats the flavor used for most chips/snacks :rolleyes:

I like Jalapenos only when they are ripe....other than that, ya, it's way over rated.

Jalapeno's don't like and Red Habs (too much Hab taste), although i like the Yellow and Chocolate Habs

give me a Fatali or a Bih jolokia and im fine..

(and beware of Cows)

Ya, yellow and chocolate habs I like way more than red or orange but I also love a ripe jalapeno and even green they have some uses.

Hmmm... I believe that my least favorite one goes by the name of Diente de Perro (Dog's tooth). It is bitter and nasty.

Jalapeños may be a bit overrated but I do like them. Not everyone likes a sweet chile sauce. Sometimes Im in the mood for a fruity sauce and sometimes I want something mouth puckering, and that's where jalapeños come in. Try them sliced really really thin and pickled in lime juice... now that's what Im talking about!

andres said:
Hmmm... I believe that my least favorite one goes by the name of Diente de Perro (Dog's tooth). It is bitter and nasty.

Jalapeños may be a bit overrated but I do like them. Not everyone likes a sweet chile sauce. Sometimes Im in the mood for a fruity sauce and sometimes I want something mouth puckering, and that's where jalapeños come in. Try them sliced really really thin and pickled in lime juice... now that's what Im talking about!

That's my problem. I have a sweet tooth as well:lol:. Everytime I envision creating a hot sauce it's something sweet and extrememly hot. Everyone has there own taste buds though. I've never had a ripe jalapeno so if I get a chance I'll have to try one of those at least once. As far as the green ones I'll eat them if there's nothing else hot around, but I don't care for them.

Omri said:
Don't get me wrong, they're a great source of heat. the lack of flavor could be a good thing, because now you can add it to anything you like.

Think I'd rather use pure cap.

Back