• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

led experiment

a behind the fire (back boiler) only heat the water if you have the fire on if not you'd have to use the immersion.
And you won't have a in water tank if you've got a modern combi boiler

Last year I started mine in styrofoam cups, generally at first sowing one seed, then later two and cutting off one. This year, except for the ones I'm doing a large scale (50-150 plants) I'm using those seed starter trays and then moving them to a larger container once they get a set of leaves. Bury them to almost the level of the leaves and as they grow, keep adding potting soil to the top of the container. The goal is to have a huge rootball come time to plant outside.

Mike

Gary-
Nice to see fellow bubblers! For indoor growing, I really do think it's the best/cheapest method around. From the looks of it you're also using General Hydrponics as well? Same here. If you are only using the three basic nutrients you will be shocked at what happens if you add in their supplements- the Floraliscious, Kool Bloom, FloraBlends, etc. are some powerful stuff!

Hotpeppa- I start from seed as well. I suppose you could start in the bucket, but I'm pretty sure you would not see a very successful amount of propogation. I start with rockwool starter cubes in a tray with a clear top over it, that sits on a Hydrofarm mat. The night before starting I boil the rockwool cube in tap water then place the cube in the starter tray. I put enough nutrient solution in the tray to keep the cube moist. Drop the seed in the cube the next morning and that's about it. I don't have a thermostat on my heat pad though they are available- I don't see a use for one since I've poked a thermoprobe in a wet rockwool cube and it was a steady 87 degrees. I suppose you could attempt to start directly in the bubbler, but I prefer to have the temp up in the 80s for the first 3 weeks or so- I can't easily keep 5 gallons of water up that high, though. Once the plant shows it's viable and pokes a couple roots out I put the starter into a 4" x 4" rockwool cube for a little more support. Depending on the plant I'll leave it there for 2-4 weeks or until the roots make it out of the 4x4. This is still in the starter tray- the plant is too tall to fit under the clear top so at this point I usually rig a ghetto saran wrap cover over the tray to reduce evaporation of the nutrient. If I leave the tray uncovered I'll go through a LOT of nutrient and have to rinse it out pretty often to get rid of the solids buildup.
I've moved the cube straight to the bucket without seeing any roots and I've moved them to the bucket after the roots were swimming around the starting tray like an octopus- generally when I first place them in the bucket I prefer having at least enough root hanging down that it'll almost be in contact with the nutrient in the bucket. But then again, I'm an overwaterer so I don't know if this is the best method or not. I agree with Fatalii's take- when they are young you want to leave the nutrient down low to encourage the roots to reach down to it.

Hope that wasn't too long winded! :oops:

Hinky said:
Gary-
Nice to see fellow bubblers! For indoor growing, I really do think it's the best/cheapest method around. From the looks of it you're also using General Hydrponics as well? Same here. If you are only using the three basic nutrients you will be shocked at what happens if you add in their supplements- the Floraliscious, Kool Bloom, FloraBlends, etc. are some powerful stuff!

Hotpeppa- I start from seed as well. I suppose you could start in the bucket, but I'm pretty sure you would not see a very successful amount of propogation. I start with rockwool starter cubes in a tray with a clear top over it, that sits on a Hydrofarm mat. The night before starting I boil the rockwool cube in tap water then place the cube in the starter tray. I put enough nutrient solution in the tray to keep the cube moist. Drop the seed in the cube the next morning and that's about it. I don't have a thermostat on my heat pad though they are available- I don't see a use for one since I've poked a thermoprobe in a wet rockwool cube and it was a steady 87 degrees. I suppose you could attempt to start directly in the bubbler, but I prefer to have the temp up in the 80s for the first 3 weeks or so- I can't easily keep 5 gallons of water up that high, though. Once the plant shows it's viable and pokes a couple roots out I put the starter into a 4" x 4" rockwool cube for a little more support. Depending on the plant I'll leave it there for 2-4 weeks or until the roots make it out of the 4x4. This is still in the starter tray- the plant is too tall to fit under the clear top so at this point I usually rig a ghetto saran wrap cover over the tray to reduce evaporation of the nutrient. If I leave the tray uncovered I'll go through a LOT of nutrient and have to rinse it out pretty often to get rid of the solids buildup.
I've moved the cube straight to the bucket without seeing any roots and I've moved them to the bucket after the roots were swimming around the starting tray like an octopus- generally when I first place them in the bucket I prefer having at least enough root hanging down that it'll almost be in contact with the nutrient in the bucket. But then again, I'm an overwaterer so I don't know if this is the best method or not. I agree with Fatalii's take- when they are young you want to leave the nutrient down low to encourage the roots to reach down to it.

Hope that wasn't too long winded! :oops:

yeh i find the bubbler great soo quick also yes i use the 3 part so do you add in Floraliscious, Kool Bloom, FloraBlends and do they help alot ?

Gary18 said:
yeh i find the bubbler great soo quick also yes i use the 3 part so do you add in Floraliscious, Kool Bloom, FloraBlends and do they help alot ?

Gary-
I went a little gay on the Discount Hydroponics website and picked up all of the GH supplement line, after working with just the 3 basic nutrients for a year. I do think they help, I have had a very obvious and vigorous growth since using them. Floralicious Plus seems to do lots of good, but Jesus CHRIST it's expensive. I don't think I've seen enough growth to justify the expense. I could not say which particular supplement is the best bang for your buck since I started using them all at once.
I use the handy dandy convenient Nutrient Calculator provided on the General Hydroponics website-
http://www.generalhydroponics.com/calculator/index.html
Under '1. Options' I set the calculator at the following-
+Nutrient System- Flora Series
+System Type- Recirculating
+Water Type- Normal (I get an annual water quality test, it's not hard)
+Program Level- Expert (this will allow all of the nutrtient supplements to show in the calculator)
+Feeding Schedule- Aggressive (this will depend on your plant, of course)
+Reservoir size- 5 gallons (check your bucket to see if you are actually able to even use 5 gallons at a whack if you are mixing in your bucket

I mix all my nutrients in one of my 8 gallon beer fermenter buckets (ahhh, beer- is there anything you can not do?) because it actually has volume graduations on it, which is a hell of a lot easier than trying to use the kitchen measuring cups to get an accurate level in an unmarked bucket! Once mixed in the bucket, I pour to whatever level I'm seeking in the bubblerbucket, then leave the remainder for keeping a level in the bubblebucket until it's all gone. Rinse, repeat.

Hinky said:
Gary-
I went a little gay on the Discount Hydroponics website and picked up all of the GH supplement line, after working with just the 3 basic nutrients for a year. I do think they help, I have had a very obvious and vigorous growth since using them. Floralicious Plus seems to do lots of good, but Jesus CHRIST it's expensive. I don't think I've seen enough growth to justify the expense. I could not say which particular supplement is the best bang for your buck since I started using them all at once.
I use the handy dandy convenient Nutrient Calculator provided on the General Hydroponics website-
http://www.generalhydroponics.com/calculator/index.html
Under '1. Options' I set the calculator at the following-
+Nutrient System- Flora Series
+System Type- Recirculating
+Water Type- Normal (I get an annual water quality test, it's not hard)
+Program Level- Expert (this will allow all of the nutrtient supplements to show in the calculator)
+Feeding Schedule- Aggressive (this will depend on your plant, of course)
+Reservoir size- 5 gallons (check your bucket to see if you are actually able to even use 5 gallons at a whack if you are mixing in your bucket

I mix all my nutrients in one of my 8 gallon beer fermenter buckets (ahhh, beer- is there anything you can not do?) because it actually has volume graduations on it, which is a hell of a lot easier than trying to use the kitchen measuring cups to get an accurate level in an unmarked bucket! Once mixed in the bucket, I pour to whatever level I'm seeking in the bubblerbucket, then leave the remainder for keeping a level in the bubblebucket until it's all gone. Rinse, repeat.

ohh i thoght the normal three part was quite good but i had nothing to compare it with and i did follow a guide but towards the end i got lazy but i started that bubbler in the middle of our summer so it will be intesting to see how well it gets on with a good head start do you have any pics of yours ?

Gary18 said:
ohh i thoght the normal three part was quite good but i had nothing to compare it with and i did follow a guide but towards the end i got lazy but i started that bubbler in the middle of our summer so it will be intesting to see how well it gets on with a good head start do you have any pics of yours ?

This is the Birds Eye, it's the only one I've still got set up in a bubbler at the moment. The Birds Eye is a bigtime producer and it's a really strong plant that doesn't need any support, so it survived the Great Bubbler Massecre of 'o8. When I get home from work this next time, I'm going to start a 7 pot and a Bhut. I'm set up for 4 bubblebuckets, figure I'd better get the other ones to work :lol: It seems to be ok to get lazy with a bubblebucket, I have at times. One thing that you do want to pay heed to though, you MUST put the Flora Micro in first when you mix. Curious- now that you've cut it, did you put it back in a bubblebucket or dirt?

98.jpg

This was the rootwad a year ago- it looks about as wadded up now as yours was before you cut it-
60.jpg

nice pics looks great what light you runing there ? and i put it in dirt as want to start a new plant for next year going to get more bubblers too

Gary18 said:
nice pics looks great what light you runing there ? and i put it in dirt as want to start a new plant for next year going to get more bubblers too

I've got 8 40W Ottlite flouro tubes. I just went and got 4 dual cheapo $9.90 shop light fixtures (with electronic ballasts) and mounted them side by side, all wired into the old incandescent wiring. I also replaced the light switch with a digital programmable Intermatic light switch that I've got set at 14 hours on.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100267677

ok soo i have just taken my my weekly update photo and since you can only upload 4 photos i thoght i would show you one plant again over 3 weeks

3 weeks ago
yellow7pod.jpg

today
IMG_0456.jpg

also this rasberry plant has had 3 weeks and it has grown quite well
three weeks ago
rasberry.jpg

today
IMG_0452.jpg

Back