• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Makin' Bacon!

Today is International Bacon Day! Are you makin' bacon?

Postie up! And keep this going as a BACON topic... since really, IBD is every day!

braised_bacon.jpg

I made a new batch of Bacon Jam:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50675-bacon-jam/#entry1073743

Last night and the smell was still so heavy in the air this morning that I had to have some, I usually try to give newly made things 48 hours to let the flavors meld and get all happy with each other but... :)

So, breakfast, here are the players:

538D7D2C-8A15-4995-A3FC-0F7C05D48E43_zps6bx62kwa.jpg

The Bacon Jam, heat is from Jalapeños

A04FE93A-20FD-4508-BA0F-2EE6685B3E30_zpsmqxzudoy.jpg

This is new to us and my first time using it, Coconut Oil. It was so light I was afraid it would allow food to stick. I was also concerned the everything might have a light coconut flavor but I was wrong on both accounts, it's awesome stuff!

CED9B0DC-EC0A-407E-9981-D94100530575_zpsitqslsc3.jpg

Frying up the eggs

B6CE3989-0DFB-4F4C-844B-D279AFADD456_zpsfyzo5t9x.jpg

And the flip, coconut oil working wonderfully

AA4055AD-AE82-478B-A9BE-78F98DE1BFE3_zpsvp9ghph0.jpg

Bacon Jammin toast

73257DA6-71B5-4589-86B4-D5D690350D29_zps19q0d5q5.jpg

Ready to serve

45C66FC0-E3F1-4C56-A77C-766E0DEEFF89_zpsv6l3jesj.jpg

The Money Shot

0F157725-1011-4E6F-9A2A-F059EEFB475F_zpsrrvnup5f.jpg

Bacon Jam is a really freakishly AWESOME blend of sweet sour and savory flavors. I can't wait to try this on a burger, maybe in a Bacon Jam Vinegret and who knows maybe even on a PB and BJ sandwich. If you make some posty up here and show us how you use it. The important thing here is go make some!!!

Cheers,
RM

I've been blending it with flavored cream cheeses to stuff poppers with. Out of Pineapple and Onion/Chive flavored CCs, I like the pineapple best so far.

Damn that looks good :drooling: !! I have got to stop procrastinating and make a batch of this glorious jam. I bet it would be amazing on grilled cheese, I usually add thick cut steakhouse bacon and beach plum or raspberry jelly (I need to make myself some damn hot pepper jelly one day as well) but I know this would be 1000x better than the steakhouse bacon. Love salty and sweet together. Once I make a batch I will definitely try it on pb & j. Just have to get myself a new food processor since my last burned up

That'll work!
Coconut oil doesnt get the respect it should,cleanest frying oil on the market
Zero flavor = "perfect"

RocketMan said:
I made a new batch of Bacon Jam:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50675-bacon-jam/#entry1073743

Last night and the smell was still so heavy in the air this morning that I had to have some, I usually try to give newly made things 48 hours to let the flavors meld and get all happy with each other but... :)

So, breakfast, here are the players:

538D7D2C-8A15-4995-A3FC-0F7C05D48E43_zps6bx62kwa.jpg

The Bacon Jam, heat is from Jalapeños

A04FE93A-20FD-4508-BA0F-2EE6685B3E30_zpsmqxzudoy.jpg

This is new to us and my first time using it, Coconut Oil. It was so light I was afraid it would allow food to stick. I was also concerned the everything might have a light coconut flavor but I was wrong on both accounts, it's awesome stuff!

CED9B0DC-EC0A-407E-9981-D94100530575_zpsitqslsc3.jpg

Frying up the eggs

B6CE3989-0DFB-4F4C-844B-D279AFADD456_zpsfyzo5t9x.jpg

And the flip, coconut oil working wonderfully

AA4055AD-AE82-478B-A9BE-78F98DE1BFE3_zpsvp9ghph0.jpg

Bacon Jammin toast

73257DA6-71B5-4589-86B4-D5D690350D29_zps19q0d5q5.jpg

Ready to serve

45C66FC0-E3F1-4C56-A77C-766E0DEEFF89_zpsv6l3jesj.jpg

The Money Shot

0F157725-1011-4E6F-9A2A-F059EEFB475F_zpsrrvnup5f.jpg

Bacon Jam is a really freakishly AWESOME blend of sweet sour and savory flavors. I can't wait to try this on a burger, maybe in a Bacon Jam Vinegret and who knows maybe even on a PB and BJ sandwich. If you make some posty up here and show us how you use it. The important thing here is go make some!!!

Cheers,
RM
How long will this keep, refrigerated?

Recently went camping and almost got sick of bacon after eating nothing but for 4 days. The fix? Strangely turned out to be all you can eat bacon. Err, I guess it was technically a breakfast buffet that got cleaned out of one item. tomato, potato

Praline Bacon

89A2382A-25C4-4A87-B162-A8D4542BC012_zpsz34skjt4.jpg

4EB98670-116E-4BC2-8E47-D1EE19A876CA_zps5zjwkz2q.jpg

This is a real play on the whole salty sweet thing and is totally fan-dam-tactic!

Preheat oven to 400 dF. Place a cooling rack on your baking sheet and the bacon on top of it. Wrap the baking sheet with foil or has a sheet of parchment paper to make cleaning easier. Bake the bacon for 30 to 35 minutes. While that's going combine 1 1/2 ounces of pecans and 2 1/2 ounces of light brown sugar in the food processor and bump it a few times to crush the pecans and mix them with the sugar. When time is up spoon the praline sugar mix over the bacon and return for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 additional minutes. I added a touch of Smoked Jalapeño powder to my pieces for a nice bite of heat.

Enjoy, might have to add some of this to some ice cream later tonight

HopsNBarley said:
Never heard of International Bacon Day before and kinda pissed that I've missed it all these years.
I planning on making up for it by growing some next year.

Y'all think its too late in the season to get these started?

Please note those need light to germinate.. I put some underground once, didn't germinate.. : -)

Nah.. I already have 5700 bacon seeds running around, they do just fine. Every day if bacon they, save the pig breeders guys!

Praline bacon 4 LIFE. I'm getting that tattooed on my neck first thing tomorrow, lol. That looks so good,will be trying that,it's easy enough recipe for me. That fatty looks awesome cmw.

Just found this and I am SO DOING THIS FOR THANKSGIVING!!!

BROWN SUGAR BACON AND APPLE PIE

For the Pie Crust:
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 cup Butter (chilled and diced)
1/4 cup Ice water

FOR THE PIE FILLING:
5-6 Granny Smith Apples (cored and then sliced and peeled)
1/4 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Greek Vanilla Yogurt

FOR THE BACON LATTICE AND CRUMB TOPPING:
6 Pieces Applewood thick cut bacon
2-3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
Pinch of Cumin
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
3 tablespoons Cold Butter

step-by-step directions

For the Pie Crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add in water slowly until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a few hours.

Roll dough out to fit 9" pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough in the plate on bottom and sides.
For the Pie Filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix to coat apples evenly.

For the Bacon Lattice and Crumb Topping: Combine brown sugar, cumin and flakes. Rub sugar mixture on bacon.
Combine flour, brown sugar and cold butter. Mix together with forks or pastry blender until small crumbs form.

For Assembly: Spoon apple filling into crust. Sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. Lattice coated uncooked bacon on top of pie.

Bake pie at 375F for 50 minutes or until apples are tender, bacon is crispy and filling is bubbling.

Let cool slightly and have at it! Serve a la mode, with whipped cream or by itself.

Pics to come after I make it next week, Super Excited!!
Thanks Pintrest :)

RocketMan said:
Just found this and I am SO DOING THIS FOR THANKSGIVING!!!

BROWN SUGAR BACON AND APPLE PIE

For the Pie Crust:
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 cup Butter (chilled and diced)
1/4 cup Ice water

FOR THE PIE FILLING:
5-6 Granny Smith Apples (cored and then sliced and peeled)
1/4 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Greek Vanilla Yogurt

FOR THE BACON LATTICE AND CRUMB TOPPING:
6 Pieces Applewood thick cut bacon
2-3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
Pinch of Cumin
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)
3 tablespoons Cold Butter

step-by-step directions

For the Pie Crust: In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add in water slowly until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a few hours.

Roll dough out to fit 9" pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough in the plate on bottom and sides.
For the Pie Filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix to coat apples evenly.

For the Bacon Lattice and Crumb Topping: Combine brown sugar, cumin and flakes. Rub sugar mixture on bacon.
Combine flour, brown sugar and cold butter. Mix together with forks or pastry blender until small crumbs form.

For Assembly: Spoon apple filling into crust. Sprinkle with crumb topping mixture. Lattice coated uncooked bacon on top of pie.

Bake pie at 375F for 50 minutes or until apples are tender, bacon is crispy and filling is bubbling.

Let cool slightly and have at it! Serve a la mode, with whipped cream or by itself.

Pics to come after I make it next week, Super Excited!!
Thanks Pintrest :)

That sounds good. my mother always makes a maple bacon pecan pie for thanksgiving that is crazy good !

This will be the tird time i have tried to show "you people" ;)  this little trick and no one has ever tried it :mope:

You want to coat your bacon in flour before frying. it is the best thing on earth,I promise. This was the first time ive cooked it this way in a very long time,cooked it a little to long but still was rockin.

Made two bacon sliders on hawian rolls. Added half a slice of provolone and a little mayo.

Ciabata roll, fried bacon, fried Polish sausage, My "Scarlet Pain" hot sauce, fried onion, more "Scarlet Pain", fried egg with black pepper (a must), tasty cheese, topped off with more "Scarlet Pain".

Looks a lot easier to eat than it actually was, but tasted better than it looks.

20141211_193345.jpg

SR.

Back