• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

makin some extract, come yell at me!!

alrighty, into stage one.. finally got some everclear and peppers to do this..making 2 kinds, a bhut jolia, for which i'm using 2 oz dried peppers, and a 7p0t, for which i'm using 8 fresh pods.. flavoring the extracts with garlic, onion, cloves and cinnomin. as for my evaporation method, no double boilers, not hot plates... i will be using a crock pot.. low heat and the ceramic is a good buffer, just crack the lid and ventilate well, i believe i should have no problems like the kind i have hard about. so, in a month i hope to have good news to update ya'll with :)

ok, gonna start the evap tomarrow.. i've decided to go au natural :-p hopefully i;'ll have the patience to let it go! side note, the sun is shining, the snow is gone!! brought out the plants i wintered, we'll see if anything comes back to life =) they're still green, but pretty dry, but i'm a hopiong.....

oh, and i'd post some pics of the extract, but can't figure how to upload pics to the post? help?

One thing some of you might want to try: Go to a local university or lab that uses liquid nitrogen and ask if you could use some. Freeze the peppers in a small dewar (thermos bottle) of liquid nitrogen and then food process them. You should get a fine powder with a lot of surface area. (if not available, you could dfreeze the peppers and food processor conatiner in a freezer set on max freeze overnight and give it a try.)

ok, so the process is complete!!!!! how did it come out? well, i liked the results pretty much, though i wish i had more yield. about 3 days of evap, and the jolokiaextract kinda.. evaporated more quickly than i thought it would, nd only ended up with just under half a cup :( that being said....WOW!!! i tried a drop in the middle of my tongue... intense heat and pain in about 5 seconds.. i was afraid to swallow. definetly hotter than anything i've tried before. as for flavor... kinda of earthy, s i added cinnomin and cloves, but it compliments the smokey flavor of the jolokia. it was a little watery, so maybe the addition of xantham gum will hellp meld it all a lil beter, but it didin't taste bad at all. i can't wait to make more of this stuff!!! just need an extra 100 bucks to buy more peppes and everclear :-p
the 7pot extract... was a little disappointing.. but i will attriute that to the fact i only had about a dozen pods, not enough to really satrate the alchol with capsaicin. flavor and aroma ar great, but heat isn't really there as i had hoped. perhaps after the smmer i will try that one again ,when i have morepeppers :-p

Back