• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

makin some extract, come yell at me!!

alrighty, into stage one.. finally got some everclear and peppers to do this..making 2 kinds, a bhut jolia, for which i'm using 2 oz dried peppers, and a 7p0t, for which i'm using 8 fresh pods.. flavoring the extracts with garlic, onion, cloves and cinnomin. as for my evaporation method, no double boilers, not hot plates... i will be using a crock pot.. low heat and the ceramic is a good buffer, just crack the lid and ventilate well, i believe i should have no problems like the kind i have hard about. so, in a month i hope to have good news to update ya'll with :)

what will you use the extract for when done?

PF- are you gonna tell THP to LEAF your name stuff alone? hahahaha

sorry, I just couldn't resist the pun~~~

Back to EXTRACT!

I'd probably avoid fresh chiles and veggies and stick with dry peppers only. Personally I don't see the point in flavoring extract, now you're extracting from peppers, garlic, onion, cloves and cinnamin so its more of a mixed veggy extract

well, its all the peppers i had left, but i believe it will be enough...don't forget i'll be reducing down half abottle to about half a cup or so. as to what i'll use it for.. the usual.. in sauces, in salsas, on my toothbrush... :-p if it comes out good enough, may add it to my line of sauces i want to get produced... notice that a lot of blair and mad dog superhot sauces are in fact extracts, so there's market for it.. i'm growing some 7pot-brain strain this year.. how swesome to use that in an extract, and simply call it brain strain :-p this year's extract i plan on calling rocket fuel..then, everclear by itself is pretty much rocket fuel, at least that's what it tastes like lol

well, keep yelling, i had expected more from you guys :-p

well potawie, as in all my sauces, i go for fllavor... and i beleive these flavors i have added will compliment the peoppers i've used, and the flavors will be faint, as they are not fresh, except the 7pots. any idiot can makes things hot, hell i can cheat and just add some pure capaician crystals, but not gonna.

oh, i do..ask patrick, he's had some of my sauces.... the extracts, are a challenge, and experiment.. as a chef i like a challenge.....its something unique to add to my repitoire..... and i totally agree with how blair extracts taste.. tired some 38 special a little while ago and was soooo disapointed in the taste.. maybe i think i can do better! we'll see in a month.. and depending on how much i get, i may send out some samples...while my cowrkers have been my guinnie pigs for the most part, opinions of other chiliheads will be more knowledgeable...maybe :-p in the meantime, who's brave enough to do some shots of (not very clear) everclear with me? :-p a lil extra burn in these bottles of booze lol

Back