• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

Awesome, PIC1...and you're right, in that many of these chiles compliment each other...even when they might seem as if they wouldn't. I'm getting to the point where I may have to make some congo black puree...should be perty. ;)

And you people need to quit talking about bonnets. I've got a garden full of supers...and no bonnets. What am I in the mood for...EVERY meal?

...bonnets... :(

Awesome, PIC1...and you're right, in that many of these chiles compliment each other...even when they might seem as if they wouldn't. I'm getting to the point where I may have to make some congo black puree...should be perty. ;)

And you people need to quit talking about bonnets. I've got a garden full of supers...and no bonnets. What am I in the mood for...EVERY meal?

...bonnets... :(

LB

,If you're craving for Bonnet sauce get yourself a bottle of JCS (Jamaican Country Style) "Crushed Scotch Bonnet Peppers" sauce. I've tryed Walkerswood, Eatons, Barons, Matouk but none of those have the scent of the Yellow Bonnet.
Once you crack the lid off and take a whiff of sauce you immediately get reminded of the special oily scent the Jamaican Bonnet has its quite different than a habanero.

Its difficult to describe but if you ever get a chance to walk through a Jamaican Farmers Mkt you'd know what I mean. I think people were stepping on them when I was there cause the smell was everywhere...........lol

Frozen Pepper Daiquiri.....................Capsaicin Smoothie!.............Ha, not quite but after finding this thread and seeing how easy it looks I thought I'd give "AJ's" puree recipe a whirl.........my freezers pretty filled with frozen peppers and this is a great solution on what to do.

I didn't have the room in my freezer a few years ago when I first tried this...the best part about it is "no refrigeration required" until it is opened...I have not checked the pH of my sauce in a couple of years but when I first making this it was about 3.8...plenty low enough for a good stable shelf life...

If possible, when you open a bottle at room temperature, would/could you check the pH and let me know what it is please...

Here's my version with some small modifications....I'm using a mixed variety of peppers consisting od "Scorps, Naga's, Bhuts, Savina's and Congo's".
I'm also fond of Cane Vinegar when making my hot sauces and I normally use evaporated Cane Juice and Cane Sugar in the process. But I'd like to stay with the original recipe so I opted for the Agave syrup since its neutral but sweet. Honey has its place in the kitchen but would impart on the pepper flavor in this recipe. I see "AJ" using salt with the Yellow 7's and probably uses it with the red Scorps also. I use a pinch of salt in everything from pancake batter to etching the rim of a Margarita glass. I feel it brings out the flavor of the main ingredient. Heck, ...they even use "Fleur de Sel" in ice cream................go figure...

A pinch of salt adds a little savory almost umami taste...

Anyways, after deseeding the peppers I'll mix those in batches with minimal vinegar until the solution is smooth and silky

do you have an idea of what the "measurements" were per batch you were making ?

Alright..........now for the 25% reduction. Keep stirring the puree...................de-dum-de-dum-de-dum..................1 hr later its De-Done..

yup...a waiting game for sure....

Fill the jars and place them into the pressure canner. I decided to use 1 pt wide mouth jars. I ended up with 11 total. As AJ, states...... 15 min at 10 psi
While the canner is doing its thing I decided to clean the residue from the stockpot. Hell, I don't think I coughed so much since the "70's"......lol

:rofl: been there, done that...I cleaned my pot in the house the first time and ran everyone out....the wife was pretty aggrevated with me....eventually put a wet bandana across my mouth and nose...worked a little bit..

Here's the final product...................this stuff will hug the back of your spoon...

the thickness of this is the best part...easy to measure and use...

Finally the taste test...........................dam good!.................. "Sweat City"
Thanks Ronnie for putting this up. I've always read raving reviews on your Scorpion Puree.....
I hope others will follow this is far more simple then tweeking der hot sauce..........

Next time..................."Scotch Bonnet Puree"

you are very welcome my friend...just trying to spread the joy of a simple recipe that is fantastic for preserving your pods...

Greg

Silly question, AJ... Have you had a chance to do a run of your puree with TS Morugas & 7-Pot Douglah? I'm thinking as soon as I get the Morugas & 7-Pot Douglah peppers from PepperLover, to do a variation of your puree with them :)

haven't grown the TS Morougas...don't see how they can be much hotter than my regular scorpions....and the Douglah?...grew one plant and it didn't do very well...

hope the puree turns out good for you..

I hope so as well. Plus, I'd like to try and get the procedure down pat, since as I mentioned previously, there's a couple people in my D&D group that love anything extra hot (the hotter the better), so I'm gonna use them for guinea pigs :)

Silly question, AJ... Have you had a chance to do a run of your puree with TS Morugas & 7-Pot Douglah? I'm thinking as soon as I get the Morugas & 7-Pot Douglah peppers from PepperLover, to do a variation of your puree with them :)
i just made one this week. Look on the previous pages. But i got railed for supposedly using an aluminum pot.

i just made one this week. Look on the previous pages. But i got railed for supposedly using an aluminum pot.

Knowing me, i probably would've made the same mistake a million times too :) But yeah, it'll be fun to give this a go and see how it comes out!

hey jedi...wasn't railing on you....as I said, I was just concerned...man, I don't know you or your cooking methods or what you use...I was just going by what the picture looked like...

how did your's turn out?

Turned out GREAT thanks for asking! Not as hot as thought it would be though. I might be getting immune to capsaicin. i had some at work yesterday and these guys wanted something so hot it make them cry. Did the trick so i must be hot then. Thanks for your help with posting this recipe.

LB

,If you're craving for Bonnet sauce get yourself a bottle of JCS (Jamaican Country Style) "Crushed Scotch Bonnet Peppers" sauce. I've tryed Walkerswood, Eatons, Barons, Matouk but none of those have the scent of the Yellow Bonnet.
Once you crack the lid off and take a whiff of sauce you immediately get reminded of the special oily scent the Jamaican Bonnet has its quite different than a habanero.

Its difficult to describe but if you ever get a chance to walk through a Jamaican Farmers Mkt you'd know what I mean. I think people were stepping on them when I was there cause the smell was everywhere...........lol

I haven't tried those...but I will be on the lookout for JCS. I currently use Grace bonnet sauce...which you can tell immediately they use bonnets...that "smell" is there...I know what you mean.

AJ,

25 July 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

Frozen Pepper Daiquiri.....................Capsaicin Smoothie!.............Ha, not quite but after finding this thread and seeing how easy it looks I thought I'd give "AJ's" puree recipe a whirl.........my freezers pretty filled with frozen peppers and this is a great solution on what to do.

I didn't have the room in my freezer a few years ago when I first tried this...the best part about it is "no refrigeration required" until it is opened...I have not checked the pH of my sauce in a couple of years but when I first making this it was about 3.8...plenty low enough for a good stable shelf life...

If possible, when you open a bottle at room temperature, would/could you check the pH and let me know what it is please...

Here's my version with some small modifications....I'm using a mixed variety of peppers consisting od "Scorps, Naga's, Bhuts, Savina's and Congo's".
I'm also fond of Cane Vinegar when making my hot sauces and I normally use evaporated Cane Juice and Cane Sugar in the process. But I'd like to stay with the original recipe so I opted for the Agave syrup since its neutral but sweet. Honey has its place in the kitchen but would impart on the pepper flavor in this recipe. I see "AJ" using salt with the Yellow 7's and probably uses it with the red Scorps also. I use a pinch of salt in everything from pancake batter to etching the rim of a Margarita glass. I feel it brings out the flavor of the main ingredient. Heck, ...they even use "Fleur de Sel" in ice cream................go figure...

A pinch of salt adds a little savory almost umami taste...

Anyways, after deseeding the peppers I'll mix those in batches with minimal vinegar until the solution is smooth and silky

do you have an idea of what the "measurements" were per batch you were making ?

Alright..........now for the 25% reduction. Keep stirring the puree...................de-dum-de-dum-de-dum..................1 hr later its De-Done..

yup...a waiting game for sure....

Fill the jars and place them into the pressure canner. I decided to use 1 pt wide mouth jars. I ended up with 11 total. As AJ, states...... 15 min at 10 psi
While the canner is doing its thing I decided to clean the residue from the stockpot. Hell, I don't think I coughed so much since the "70's"......lol

:rofl: been there, done that...I cleaned my pot in the house the first time and ran everyone out....the wife was pretty aggrevated with me....eventually put a wet bandana across my mouth and nose...worked a little bit..

Here's the final product...................this stuff will hug the back of your spoon...

the thickness of this is the best part...easy to measure and use...

Finally the taste test...........................dam good!.................. "Sweat City"
Thanks Ronnie for putting this up. I've always read raving reviews on your Scorpion Puree.....
I hope others will follow this is far more simple then tweeking der hot sauce..........

Next time..................."Scotch Bonnet Puree"

AJ,

I checked the ph before canning and it was 4.1. Normally when I'm making hot sauce I shoot for 3.7. I don't expect this sauce to sit to long in the cabinet. I already sent 6 jars out to some friends and the remainder will be just fine...

As far as the measurements, I used 3 filled 2 gal bags from the freezer. I weighted each bag individually and the total came out to just over 6 lbs.
That's the frozen weight before I cut open the pods and scraped out any additional seeds that I missed before I froze them.
I used minimal vinegar a total of only 3/4's of a liter bottle. Like you I have a work horse of a blender.....a VitaMix. Its my 3rd one in .......sheet since 1982...........ha ..........and that one had a stainless steel container. Man have they changed! A powerful motor will bring the juices out of anything.........................I believe "Hercules" used one in his day.................lol
I opted for the least amout of vinegar, Shooting for that "peppa" taste. The puree's texture turned out fine . Any longer on the stove it would have begun turning into a paste, and then I'd have less jars................ :tear:

Ronnie, Thanks for the replies...........by the way the "Pegranos and the Red FDA s" are doing just fine!

Greg

way cool Greg....

and I understand totally about the "less vinegar" part....if you got a 4.1 using 750 ml and nearly 6 lbs of pods...that is less than half the vinegar I use...but then again, I have a pretty good shelf life on it...I will check the pH again the next batch I make....

time to dust off the ol' SM101 Milwaukee and get her calibrated...

Let's see here...

- Morugas and 7Pot Douglahs courtesy of Pepper Lover (many thanks again) - Check!
- 5% distilled white vinegar - Check!
- agave nectar - Check!
- sea salt - Check!

I think I'm good to go, AJ! Since it took me forever to find the stuff from Sam's Club, I won't have time to make it tonight, but as soon as I get home from work tomorrow, I'll get right to work on it and post pics... assuming of course the fumes don't overtake me, and I'm found three days later passed out on the floor by my landlady lol!

Let's see here...

- Morugas and 7Pot Douglahs courtesy of Pepper Lover (many thanks again) - Check!
- 5% distilled white vinegar - Check!
- agave nectar - Check!
- sea salt - Check!

I think I'm good to go, AJ! Since it took me forever to find the stuff from Sam's Club, I won't have time to make it tonight, but as soon as I get home from work tomorrow, I'll get right to work on it and post pics... assuming of course the fumes don't overtake me, and I'm found three days later passed out on the floor by my landlady lol!
I made mine minus the nectar and i saved the seeds from both types of peppers so mine wasn't as hot as i would have liked it. Awesome flavor though!

P7280147.jpg

These jars are the Scorpion paste i made from the 2 lbs i got from Baker's Pepper's! I did white vinegar, and i also put in garlic and onion from my backyard. This stuff is fire! Put the seeds in this time! Thanks AJ for the help again!

How do you think this would be if I used a mix of red bhuts, red 7 pots, red 7 pot brain strain, ts moruga, yellow 7 pots, and yellow 7 pot brain strain? Would it still turn out good using these different peppers?

How do you think this would be if I used a mix of red bhuts, red 7 pots, red 7 pot brain strain, ts moruga, yellow 7 pots, and yellow 7 pot brain strain? Would it still turn out good using these different peppers?

Sure it will be "Hot as Hell at High Noon".....The only thing about mixing red and yellows will be the final color. A puree can also be a great base for the build of other sauces. I had some puree on some fish tacos yesterday ............they were great ! The light breading on the Mahi soaked it up with the flour tortilla. I did go over board and had one too many...........my stomach was on fire.
Use any peppers in any combo. Peppers , vinegar and salt..............Agave syrup if you wish. I made a straight yellow puree last week with numerous varieties. I opted to use no syrup, although I used the pulp from 3 yellow Manila Mangos..... turned out pretty good
Have fun with your sauce making and puree's

Greg

I will say that a 50/50 Scorpion/Fatalii puree does not have the best flavor IMO, but it only takes a thin stripe to make a hot dog into a fire dog.

Big thanks to the OP, I'm definitely going to give this a try with my harvest. Just one quick question...I have read in this thread about freezing the peppers. Is this ok? As I do not have many plants I was planning on freezing as I harvest until I have enough to make a batch.

Back