• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2012 Growlog

Tonight I started the new season. My growlist for 2012 contains the following varities:

Annuum
Caloro
Cayenne Golden
Cherry Chocolate
Chilhuacle Negro
Fish
Jalapeño Biker Billy Hybrid
Jalapeño Chichimeca
Jalapeño Craigs Grande
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato
Jalapeño Hercules Jalapeño
Jumbo Jalapeño
Numex Jalmundo
Morron de Fabrica
Peppadew
Petit Marseillais
Santa Fe Grande

Baccatum
Aji Pineapple
Rain Forest

Chacoense
Yellow Chaco

Chinense
7 Pot Brown
Arbibi Gusano Red F-1
Armaggedon F-1
Biquinho
Bolivian Bumpy
CGN 20790
Chupetinho
Clavo
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii White
Fidalga Roxa
Habanero Bazooka
Habanero Big Jamaican
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Black Congo
Habanero Cappuccino Nugget
Habanero Chocolate Congo
Habanero Chocolate Hand Grenade F-1
Habanero Chocolate Lightning
Habanero Condor's Beak
Habanero Francisca ™
Habanero Giant White
Habanero Golden
Habanero Jaguar
Habanero Long Chocolate
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Pastel
Habanero Purple
Habanero Senegal Chocolate
Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate F-1
Habanero White Bullet x Maraba
Habanero White Pearl
Habanero Yellow Bumpy
Habanero Yucatan White
Habanero Zavory (in memory of aijjoe's niece Amanda)
Hurican
MadballZ
Monster Naga
Peito de Moca
Pimenta Leopard
SB7J F-1
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet Cappuccino
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican
Trinidad Scorpion "FG"
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate

Frutescens
Tabasco Short Yellow

Most of this list I got through the genorosity of people on this forum, thanks alot! Since I only have one heated propagator I needed to split up my list, so I went for all the Habanero varities first (as you can see on the picture below). Also a few other Chinense on there.

eerstezaailijst.jpg

I sow 2 seeds per varity, so I can keep the best looking plant and give the other one away. Offcourse I'm not throwing them away, I will spread the heat among my friends so they can learn the magical world of pepper growing too ;)

I used coco-plugs as medium this time and putted them in a 60 holes tray. Looks like a tray of cup-cakes ready for the oven.
IMAG0985.jpg

After I soaked them and let the propagator get to the right tempature (± 26°C) I sow all the seeds with this as end result.
IMAG0991.jpg

All I have to do now is getting the grow area ready so when they sprouted they can be put under the CFL lights. I don't expect them to sprout for atleast a week so I still have some time. As soon there is free space I will sow the rest of my list with the Annuum to be the last ones, probally around january.

The black peppers have the same characteristics as the "Hungarian Black".
Which if it is similar you will have a fine harvest and a thin walled tasty pepper.
Nice photo of the flower, .....its cool to see the little buds forming on your OW.
I also like the size of that Jalapeno, it looks pretty large compared to the plants stem

Greg

Nice photos, MF. The Cayenne Purple OW looks like cool plant.

The black peppers have the same characteristics as the "Hungarian Black".
Which if it is similar you will have a fine harvest and a thin walled tasty pepper.
Nice photo of the flower, .....its cool to see the little buds forming on your OW.
I also like the size of that Jalapeno, it looks pretty large compared to the plants stem

Greg

Yeah, that's something I noticed also but the flowers aren't white like that variety. They feel thin walled indeed, has around 16 pods (gonna be prolific) hanging now so maybe it's crossed with Hungarian Black and not a Chilhuacle Negro.
The Jalapeno on that plant is over 4inch big, it's just started too form more pods now but is still very small. There's a story behind that plant :lol: after germination it lost his leaves and was only a stem. Wouldn't wanna give up on it and after a month it started too form new leaves. I would say it's a surviver with good genetics :)

It's finally summer here and the temperature is great! Unfornately it's already over after the weekend as it's starts too rain again every day and a heavy drop in temperature. Some pictures from plants in the foil tunnel that are starting too make buds, flowers and pods :woohoo This week I bought a bigger foil tunnel which is 100 square meters big, the one I now have is only 12 square meter. It really extends our grow season a lot and not just for peppers of course.

CGN21566
IMAG1434.jpg

CGN22207
IMAG1431.jpg

Fidalga Roxa?
IMAG1428.jpg

IMAG1427.jpg

Unknown Orange Habanero
IMAG1422.jpg

One of the biggest Jalapeño pods I have at the moment, Jalapeño Conchos
IMAG1424.jpg

Habanero Chocolate Hand Grenade (ajijoe's creation) Pods haven't grown a lot and the plant is making new buds
IMAG1426.jpg

IMAG1432.jpg

Santa Fe Grande that's growing outside, just starting too show new growth after a month of sleep
IMAG1438.jpg

Hurrikan in my backyard is loaded with pods, the origin of this variety is pretty unknown but seeing the shape of the pods it looks like an offspring from the Habanero White...
IMAG1413.jpg

Plants look great I noticed that once you harvest the mystery plant with the white pedals and purple trim they repod fast especially for a little plant I have so far harvest about 30 pods last month and now it loaded again with more pods ripening up very productive. I would compare it to the thai dragons I grew this year not overwhelming heat but lacks flavor though my pods never reach full black always stay half black and green before ripening to a bright red. I love your Fidalga Roxa plant can not wait to see how they ripen let me know how the flavor and heat is for that pod.
Thanks Fernando

Thanks Fernando. Sounds promising about the mystery plant :) Hopefully the Fidalga Roxa will grow true, but from what I've seen on the internet pictures the foliage is different and looks more like a Pimenta de Neyde. Will have too wait for the pod too grow bigger and get into shape.

I harvest some pods yesterday and today. It's nothing compared too the big players here but it's a beginning :)

Jalapeno JP, Jalapeno El Jefe, Big Jamaican (unripe), Habanero Jaguar and Pimenta Leopard.
IMAG1440.jpg

Joe's Long Cayenne, Habanero Maldivian, but looks like a Serrano Del Sol too me, Pimento de Padron and Doux très Long des Landes.
IMAG1443.jpg

Loved the tasted and kick of the El Jefe. Very tasteful.

Nice flower pics, pods and plants Stefan. What color does El jefe finish up?

Thanks, Jamie. The El Jefe turns red when ripe. Got a lot more pods with 3 plants of this variety but this pod was damaged at the stem of the pod. I let the other ones get ripe because I wanna harvest the seeds and make Chipotle of the ripe pods :D I saw the forecasts and the temperature stays good next week so that's great news for the plants I have going outside.

Made it- whew-some thing has come up every time I tried to comment the last few days!
1.The C Negro's are showing black up on the stem-like some of the Bubblegums show red...interesting.
2. Those hand Grenades are looking just like they are supposed to-guess they are fairly stable-got to hand it to Joe,and Ican't wait to grow em next year.
3.The Hurrikanes-do they stay white?I am looking for whites that actually are! The white 7's have been a let down-from the way the seeds cluster and the lack of ribs and much placenta they are just another
white chinense-I don't think they are real 7's.
4.Fidalga Roxa-thats a beauty for sure.....have you tried any before?
5.Your pics are awesome as ever-I have to take 7-8 pics of everything to get good ones-the iphone 4 may be 11 pixel-but you have to work at it HARD!
Always a pleasure Stefan!
Have a good one-
Dave

Hey Dave thanks for visiting my glog! Too answer your questions :)
1. I sowed them as C Negro's but now that the pods are bigger it turned out they are just Hungarian Black. Pods have about the same size and shape as a Jalapeno but Black unripe, red when ripe.
2. I got 2 plants of the grenades growing, the pods on the other one are taller and look more like the Hab. Long Chocolate so there's still some work left too get this stable. I will try and harvest as many pods possible from the one plant that grows the correct shape and send them out too people who wants too help too get this stable.
3. The Hurrikan ripe off too a salmon pink color. So far I can only say the Habanero Yucatan White had actually white colored (small) pods on it. The other white's I'm growing don't have pods yet :(
4. I haven't, the pod on the picture is the first pod on the plant but I suspected it's not a Fidalga Roxa but a Pimenta de Neyde. Then a couple of days later when I checked the pod it grown bigger and had a much lighter color too it. You can see on the picture update below.
5. It's the same here ;) I take all my pictures with my phone, it's 8MP but it takes great pictures for a phone. Always the struggle with the focus of the lens that costs a lot of work.

Some pictures of the plants.

Unknown Habanero from Hendrix1326. There's white hair on the stem and leaves. Any ideas with what it may have crossed? 7 Pot or some something I was thinking...
IMAG1500.jpg

IMAG1499.jpg

Plants in the foiltunnel.
IMAG1498.jpg

IMAG1497.jpg

Cherry Chocolate.
IMAG1495.jpg

Not a CAP 1546, not a Chilhuacle Negro but a Hungarian Black.
IMAG1494.jpg

Chupetinha.
IMAG1461.jpg

Habanero Mustard.
IMAG1456.jpg

Fidalga Roxa... Pimenta de Neyde... not sure what it is but I like the look of the pod :)
IMAG1455.jpg

Rocobi F-2 a cross between Rocotillo X Biquinho.
IMAG1454.jpg

Stefan the plants and pods are taking off. Unknow Habanero is interesting especially with the hairs growing on the stem and it looks like the leaves not fully sure, but the peppers that do that I think are pubescens that what I would it would be crossed with. The other mystery plant is a pimenta de neyde. Can not wait to see that F-2 cross I grew the rocotillo it was very productive, but the flavor was ok. What are characteristics do you expect the Rocobi F-2 to take?

I know exactly what you mean about the focus thing-means lots of every pic!
The furry "unknown" is pretty unusual(looks MAD too), and I love the shapes of your "Mustards"...mine look like pumpkins, and the purple pod looks to be winner.
I made a mad dash home(160 miles each way) yesterday, lots of pods-but she would've SHOT me if I started the pic thing!(hahaha)-been up for 36 hrs(3-4 hrs of NOT sleep didn't help!)so I'm feebly typing this-
whew.

Hey, Stefan! Your 'low country' grow looks great :fireball: You have some
nice varieties, and the pods are shaping up nicely!

Your foil tunnels look like the ticket, for sure!

Stefan the plants and pods are taking off. Unknow Habanero is interesting especially with the hairs growing on the stem and it looks like the leaves not fully sure, but the peppers that do that I think are pubescens that what I would it would be crossed with. The other mystery plant is a pimenta de neyde. Can not wait to see that F-2 cross I grew the rocotillo it was very productive, but the flavor was ok. What are characteristics do you expect the Rocobi F-2 to take?

Yeah, finally although the weather is still very bad, lots and lots of rain. The ones in the foiltunnel are doing great but the ones outside... don't expect much of them. About the unknown hab, the leaves have hairs on it as well, not on top but on the backside of the leaves. It doesn't look like any hab I've seen so far so taste has too tell what kind it is. The other mystery isn't a pure de Neyde if you ask me, think it's crossed with the Fidalga Roxa. The pods have an different shape and the color is off as well. Took this picture of it today, the pods are pretty small but as far as I know the Neyde are black.
IMAG1525.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what too expect from the Rocobi, I offered too grow it out for someone on the forum but haven't really payed much attention too it :oops: They are growing into containers because of the isolation so I didn't expect them too be this big already. From what I reminder the heat level was pretty low but had a good taste :)

great looking chiles. good luck with the rest of the season.

Thanks, buddy!

I know exactly what you mean about the focus thing-means lots of every pic!
The furry "unknown" is pretty unusual(looks MAD too), and I love the shapes of your "Mustards"...mine look like pumpkins, and the purple pod looks to be winner.
I made a mad dash home(160 miles each way) yesterday, lots of pods-but she would've SHOT me if I started the pic thing!(hahaha)-been up for 36 hrs(3-4 hrs of NOT sleep didn't help!)so I'm feebly typing this-
whew.

Yeah, I'm in love of the shape of those Mustards also it's really gonna be prolific. Got over 20 pods hanging so far and it's still pumping out flowers. If it's truly a Mustard I just have too wait till they ripen, the color of the unripe looks promising though. Hehe, man your crazy but I have too admit, it's almost the first thing I do when I come home is checking my plants :oops: The wife does not appreciate that of course ;)

Hey, Stefan! Your 'low country' grow looks great :fireball: You have some
nice varieties, and the pods are shaping up nicely!

Your foil tunnels look like the ticket, for sure!

Thanks, Paul. Without that foil tunnel I would have a bad season again, I'm glad I bought a bigger one for next season so I can have all my plants in it :onfire:

hola Meat
what I could find on the Habanero Oxkutzcabian Orange doesn't look similar to yours have you tried one yet are they hot?
http://www.pimentas....bian_orange.htm
Did you get your seeds from Tucabail? Maybe they got crossed

The Jalapeño Chichimeca looks jummy love the corking

Hey Lando, the information in the url you mentioned doesn't look like right too me when it comes too the correct pictures. From what I've could find mine looks similar but those pods are the first ones growing on the plant. The other ones are bigger. They look like this. I got the plant from a buddy who grew it from seeds bought at semillas la palma. Only picked a few really tiny pods, will have too wait another week before those other ones are ripe.

Love the corking on the Chichimeca as well, got some more Jalapeno varieties that are showing some beautifull corking too like the Conchos and El Jefe.

Looks like yours are correct and Tucabail got it wrong his arn't even orange wich I did find strange.
Another day of 35C here and very humid I am off to the pool :)

Back