• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

Dang! Had a reply all typed and erased it with an inadvertent keystroke...

That's a serious pull my friend... over 3 pounds at a whack! :onfire:

My purple-pheno Pimenta Lisa pods are brownish green streaked with purple right now, so they look quite a bit like yours. I can't wait to see what color they finally ripen to.

Cheers!

Outstanding Harvests............the most colorful so far !

That's so cool to see many different Varieties of tomatoes......no two taste alike.......but all homegrown taste the best !

More vivid colorful peppers than............hmm..........a blacklight poster from the 70's.......... :P 

Nice photo from indoors, the plants have really grown tall and wide.

I'm glad you're getting some of those bumpy bonnet shaped Scotch Brain pods...........me too !

Slice some of those varigated tomatoes open and snap a photo...of all that deliciousness 

Have a great week...

stickman said:
Dang! Had a reply all typed and erased it with an inadvertent keystroke...

That's a serious pull my friend... over 3 pounds at a whack! :onfire:

My purple-pheno Pimenta Lisa pods are brownish green streaked with purple right now, so they look quite a bit like yours. I can't wait to see what color they finally ripen to.

Cheers!
Thanks, Rick. I had the same thing happening to me last week when I typed a whole story in reply of Jason's glog... really ... yeah no fun.

annie57 said:
Buffet of beauty, Stefan! Those green 7s would make for some "interesting" salsa verde! Love the ScotchBrain . . . oh, heck: love them ALL! :drooling:
Green 7's are a bit to strong in flavor for salsa verde, miz Annie. Have not tasted them since I my stomach is a bit upset these days but the smell reminded me of the Habanero Mustard.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Excellent pull.  Some really nice looking pods.
Trippa said:
Yesssss!! What a great array of pods/colours/heat and flavour! Awesome work ... those scotch brains are some of the best looking pods I have seen I think .. keep them coming!
Thanks, guys!

PIC 1 said:
Outstanding Harvests............the most colorful so far !

That's so cool to see many different Varieties of tomatoes......no two taste alike.......but all homegrown taste the best !

More vivid colorful peppers than............hmm..........a blacklight poster from the 70's.......... :P 

Nice photo from indoors, the plants have really grown tall and wide.

I'm glad you're getting some of those bumpy bonnet shaped Scotch Brain pods...........me too !

Slice some of those varigated tomatoes open and snap a photo...of all that deliciousness 

Have a great week...
Your right about that, Greg. Homegrown taste the best, thanks to the TLC we give them ;) Good to hear your getting bumpy bonnet shaped Scotch Brain pods too, the plants are getting out of hand here. To big to handle :lol: I have not been able to manage the growth of the plants and they all are so huge already. Ever bigger then they were at the end of last season. I have 2 rows of Annuum plants so those are easier to reach from 2 sides but the Chinense are 3 rows... yeah it's all plant now so no rows. My GA Black's are so wide they've taken the width of 3 rows. One branch broke of because of the weight of the pods. It's a shame I haven't gotten around to trellising the branches to grow more up. Would have been interesting to see if that would have improved the yield.

I will slice the tomatoes that will be harvested tomorrow for you ;) Gonna be an huge harvest and will spend the weekend making sauce and salsa for sure!

Did this one earlier. Coral Queen.
20140724_165731.jpg

Also harvest some maters today, over 6.5lbs of Negro Azteca cherry's. Big ones on the left are Black & Red Boar (4lbs), delicious, smokey aftertaste and also great for sauce.
IMAG4926.jpg

IMAG4929.jpg

Pulled this 7 Pot Lava Yellow since it went soft.
IMAG4930.jpg

Some cross sections.

Scotch Brain, the smell of those pods... amazing! They were up to superhot level to me this time but could have been because I also cut up some superhots with the same knife  :whistle:
IMAG4912.jpg

Pimenta Lisa, peach pods. Very fruity aroma, a lot stronger then the purple/white pods.
IMAG4914.jpg

7 Pot Evergreen
IMAG4911.jpg

Also had these for the BBQ last weekend.
IMAG4882.jpg

Yaki Blue (green leaves)
IMAG4896.jpg

Yaki Blue (purple leaves)
IMAG4897.jpg

Been working my butt of to process all the tomatoes I've harvested last week. Kinda underestimated the amount it was. Took me 3 whole days to get 28 quarts of sauce and salsa combined and that's not even half of the total harvest. Next year not so many tomatoes my wife suggested :lol:

IMAG4964.jpg

Some jars of sauce.
IMAG4974.jpg

Salsa
IMAG4991.jpg

These went in the salsa, except for the yellow pod, that's an 7 pot lava yellow :P
IMAG4986.jpg

For Greg, Black & Red Boar. Our favorite this season, excellent taste, yield and very versatile in use.
IMAG4971.jpg

Elysium Oxide Bonnet F-4, looks true to me, Mike? 1 other plant is putting out pods that look more like a Bonnet.
IMAG4982.jpg

7 Pot Peach F-2, not correct pheno but it gives a great yield and big pods. The other plant looks more to be true. I thought I saw some coloring on it but it's almost impossible to reach the plant.
IMAG4981.jpg

My Pimenta Lisa, dark/purple pheno.
IMAG4998.jpg

Yaki Blue, absolutely beautiful pods and color!
IMAG4999.jpg

7 Pot White/Habanero White Giant
IMAG4950.jpg

Wow Stefan, that looks like a lot of work!  Congratulations great job! 

That EOB has a mean streak look to it with the Douglah parent coming thru just a little.  Color looks great from here! 

Your Pimenta Lisa looks very beautiful!  Mine are not enjoying the heat now.  My coworkers sampled all of the ripe pod I had and said it was delicious. I was a little bummed.  Thinking of giving one of the container plants bigger shoes and more shade until September.

Have a great day!

ronniedeb said:
Beautiful once again. Salsa looks great. Is there a particular recipe you use?
I believe Greg or Scott posted his recipe on here last season. I used it back then and tweaked it a bit. Need to wait to find out what the results of this batch will be :) Last year I didn't write anything down so I couldn't recreate the same again.

capsidadburn said:
Wow Stefan, that looks like a lot of work!  Congratulations great job! 

That EOB has a mean streak look to it with the Douglah parent coming thru just a little.  Color looks great from here! 

Your Pimenta Lisa looks very beautiful!  Mine are not enjoying the heat now.  My coworkers sampled all of the ripe pod I had and said it was delicious. I was a little bummed.  Thinking of giving one of the container plants bigger shoes and more shade until September.

Have a great day!

Thanks, Mike. The picture does no justice to the beautiful color they actually have! It's exactly as you described. I made some room for the plants tonight as I remove the overlaying Georgia Black. That way the plants get more light and space. The others are spitting out pods like crazy to, with different shapes then this one. Will make some pictures once they get bigger.

Yours ripened of to a Peach color also, right? The peach phenotypes are very tasty.

This is the peach pheno over here. Really crunchy pods, the new pods show some more Habanero type shape. I'm still not convinced it's a Bhut cross :P
IMAG4994.jpg

Even if it's not what it supposed to be, these plants are excellent producers with 3 to 4 pods on a node. Plants are about 4 ft wide.
IMAG4993.jpg

7 Pot Lava Yellow
IMAG4987.jpg

Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato
IMAG4983.jpg

Nora
IMAG4948.jpg

Thai Demon
IMAG4949.jpg

Jalapeño Agriset 4108. Tasted a few of these and they are really tasty. Not to hot and full flavor!
IMAG4955.jpg

Jalapeño Felicity. Also tasted this one and it was a let down. It's a no heat variety but it still can have flavor like the Dulce had last season.
This one didn't. I did not pick it to early since the pods were dark enough. Won't be growing this one again. Next year it's Dulce again!
IMAG4951.jpg

Jalapeño Tormenta
IMAG4954.jpg

Jataka F-1 (Jaloro x Takanotsume) One of it's branches. You can see some Jaloro resemblance in the podshape.
It stopped flowering but is making new buds since the first pods are ripening of.
IMAG4941.jpg

Awesome photos.....incredible amounts of Jalapenos just dangling from the plants.

Thanks for the slicing shots peppers and tomatoes.That Black and Red Boar must be a tasty one, it sure looks to have all three built into them......tart, sweet and mild.

Wow 28 qts.......I know that's a lot of work and time involved...........tightening the lids on the jars is a rewarding feeling!

The Lava is a sexy looking pod...both bumpy and smooth...with a warm yellow tone to it.

Stellar Season Stefan !

PeriPeri said:
Wow Stephan, it just keeps getting better and better! Love the way you have supported your chillies - seems to be working like a charm!
It works great as you long as you can twisting it around your stem and branches. Especially the branches later on when they get heavy ;) I didn't do it with all plants and a few branches broke.

PIC 1 said:
Awesome photos.....incredible amounts of Jalapenos just dangling from the plants.

Thanks for the slicing shots peppers and tomatoes.That Black and Red Boar must be a tasty one, it sure looks to have all three built into them......tart, sweet and mild.

Wow 28 qts.......I know that's a lot of work and time involved...........tightening the lids on the jars is a rewarding feeling!

The Lava is a sexy looking pod...both bumpy and smooth...with a warm yellow tone to it.

Stellar Season Stefan !

Your more then welcome to try some seeds of the tomatoes I've been growing. The Black & Red Boar has loads of them so I can miss a few ;)

IMAG5025_.jpg

IMAG5022_.jpg

Jaloro vs Jataka F-1 (Jaloro x Takanotsume)
IMAG5024.jpg

not Pink Tiger
IMAG5008.jpg

7 Pot Jonah Orange
IMAG5015.jpg

Nagabrain Chocolate (jamie)
IMAG5007.jpg

Morado (jamie)
IMAG5005.jpg

Green Hornet (jamie)
IMAG5006.jpg

Back