• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

You're off to a great start Stefan, Plants look gorgeous! I'll be setting up my low row cover and planting outside tomorrow too. Of the Pimenta Lisa plants I started, the green phenotype has set flowers, but is quite stunted... it's only about 5cm tall. The purple pheno is much larger... about 12cm tall and with a correspondingly larger canopy. Cheers!

Very nice Stefan .  Do you notice faster growth when you strip the older leaves off. I let mine do it naturally but curious to know if I should do it right away . 

What on earth are you gonna do with all those maters  ;)  That is a boat load . 

I'm enjoying those tunnel photos ! Very professional...
Are those "puppeteer strings" attached to the tomato plants...if so when does the show start...lol Just kiddin, I like that idea...I use to use lateral netting yrs back with some indoor growing.......tomatoes, that is.

Looking good, Stefan!  I like the 'climbing cord' idea for holding up the plants.  
Seems very convenient.  How are they anchored into the ground?

The pics of your daughter are always priceless.   She is a real sweetie.

Devv said:
I just love dirt day!

Wishing you continued success!
Thanks, Scott! Gonna continue tomorrow.

stickman said:
You're off to a great start Stefan, Plants look gorgeous! I'll be setting up my low row cover and planting outside tomorrow too. Of the Pimenta Lisa plants I started, the green phenotype has set flowers, but is quite stunted... it's only about 5cm tall. The purple pheno is much larger... about 12cm tall and with a correspondingly larger canopy. Cheers!
I've been slacking a lot on the replying part but I've been keeping tabs on your and other glogs. Thanks for the updates on the Pimenta Lisa. Wish you a good D(irt)-Day as well :) Here's mine Pimenta Lisa plants in close-up, being to long in the pot took it's toll but they will bounce back.

The dark pheno, plant is about 55cm tall.
IMAG4144.jpg

Green pheno, I'm suspecting Bhut like pods but I could be dead wrong :) It's a bit smaller.
IMAG4145.jpg

Both have buds but I keep pinching out the flowers till they show new growth again. I'm already 6 weeks earlier then last season with the plant out so I expect even more harvest.

romy6 said:
 Very nice Stefan .  Do you notice faster growth when you strip the older leaves off. I let mine do it naturally but curious to know if I should do it right away . 

What on earth are you gonna do with all those maters  ;)  That is a boat load . 
Not necessarily faster growth but it concentrates more growth at the top instead of low formed branches stretching out to get some sunlight. It's also for air circulation, no leaves or pods touching the ground and diseases. In the beginning it requires some extra work but I found it worth it. I'm gonna send you boxes with maters ;) It's only 60 plants :lol: I got 4 different sauce tomato varieties that are good for a total of 30 plants. I plan on making a whole load of basic sauce this year and of course I have to make my own salsa. We are almost through last years batch :) I'm also in talks with local producers that are interested in both peppers as tomatoes for their products.

PIC 1 said:
I'm enjoying those tunnel photos ! Very professional...
Are those "puppeteer strings" attached to the tomato plants...if so when does the show start...lol Just kiddin, I like that idea...I use to use lateral netting yrs back with some indoor growing.......tomatoes, that is.
Hey Greg, thanks for the kind words! Glad to see you here, how have you've been? I works perfectly when growing in a tunnel, especially the tomatoes get very tall and this way it supports the entire stem and weight of the plant. It's also cheaper then buying thick stakes and clips :P Show should start in about 6-7 weeks, first ripe maters perhaps? :D

PaulG said:
Looking good, Stefan!  I like the 'climbing cord' idea for holding up the plants.  
Seems very convenient.  How are they anchored into the ground?

The pics of your daughter are always priceless.   She is a real sweetie.
It is Paul, it's a bit more effort in the beginning but it pays of. Nature anchors them into the ground :) Some put a toothpick at the end and place it into the ground. Last year I just placed the end into the hole before planting out. That way the roots of the plant "anchors" the cord. By the time the plant get more weight it's already gotten rooted very well.

Got some early pods forming already
IMAG4155.jpg

Loving it Stefan!

It's great to see everyone planting!

I wonder how the strings would work out in the open air?

I think we should have some ripe jal's this weekend, or close enough to make poppers with ;)

Have a great weekend!

Devv said:
Loving it Stefan!

It's great to see everyone planting!

I wonder how the strings would work out in the open air?

I think we should have some ripe jal's this weekend, or close enough to make poppers with ;)

Have a great weekend!

I think they would work perfectly out in the open air, you should be able to since you got an frame surrounding your plants :) Ripe Jal's already?! Jealous much :D although I prefer them unripe for poppers.

So today I lost 2 hours due to maintenance on my tomatoes, did manage to plant out a couple more.

7 pot Evergreen
IMAG4160.jpg

Madame Jeanette looking promising!
IMAG4159.jpg

Jamison said:
Looking good Stefan!  So neat and clean!
Thanks, Jamison! Besides meat, I'm also a neatfreak :lol: at least for now ;) just wait till later in season.

Devv said:
+1 on 109!

I think it's more fun watching everyone get their grow in the dirt than planting my own!
Indeed, Scott although from the moment you've planted them out the fun really begins. You have to worry less besides giving them water and nutrients from time to time. It's the most fun part for me and when they are setting pods.

GA Growhead said:
I like how you are supporting your plants!
Thanks, Jason!

OCD Chilehead said:
Beautiful looking plants. Nice setup. Can't wait to get outside.
Thanks for the kind words.

Sm1nts2escape said:
Very nice and clean setup. What is the purpose of the green house though?
Ehm, I think that's pretty obvious. To extend my season, have more warmth for my plants and to be able to control water and wind. Just to name a few :)

Pretty gutted with all the leaf damage I've been having these past days. I know for sure I harden them of enough. They were doing fine in the tomato tunnel. The only thing I could think of would be the fact that I didn't water the pepper tunnel for 8 months. The ground has gotten so dry that there was (almost) no humidity inside when the doors are closed. The plants wilted after plant out so the air was to dry for the wilted leaves and caused permanent damage? So I watered the ground tonight to see if there's condense on the poly sheet tomorrow. Here's some pictures of the damage :(

IMAG4177.jpg

IMAG4178.jpg

Don't expect this one to make it, stem has turned yellow/brownish.
IMAG4175.jpg

My only OW plant on the other hand is doing fine.
IMAG4174.jpg

Basil that's waiting to be planted out.
IMAG4173.jpg

That's a real drag about the one twig Stefan... once you lose the nodes there's not much you can do but bow to the inevitable. the plants with the crispy leaves at least have intact nodes... they'll look ugly for a while, but will eventually grow out of it. The really large leaves the plants develop when we grow them inside under artificial light are more of a liability than an asset I think. They're not quite tough enough to stand up to full sun, and have enough surface area to really catch the gusty winds we get in spring and beat up the plants. I always figure on losing them, I just hope they stay there long enough to provide the energy the plants need to make the new ones.

Back