• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak's 2016 GloG

Later as usual, I started the 2016 tonight. Reason for this cause I'm growing out mostly crosses and I don't want to much yield (that I need to process :P) All in all I still ended up with 45 varieties and was aiming for 30... oh well  
icon_lol.gif
 Here is the list.

Bubblegum 7 White F-2
Bubblegum 7 White v2 F-2
Chiltepin Cappuccino
Chupetinha Orange
Gnarly White Habanero
MFPJ10 F-2
MFPJ12 F-2
MFPJ15 F-2
MFPJ18 F-2
MFPJ19 F-2
MFPJ2 F-2
MFPJ21 F-2
MFPJ23 #1 F-3
MFPJ23 #2 F-2
MFPJ24 #2 F-2
MFPJ24 #3 F-2
MFPJ25 F-1
MFPJ26 #1 F-2
MFPJ26 #2 F-2
MFPJ27 F-2
MFPJ28 #2 F-2
MFPJ28 #3 F-2
MFPJ29 F-2
MFPJ3 F-2
MFPJ30 F-2
MFPJ31 F-1
MFPJ32 #1 F-3
MFPJ32 #3 F-2
MFPJ35 F-2
MFPJ36 F-1
MFPJ37 F-1
MFPJ40 F-1
MFPJ41 F-1
MFPJ42 F-1
MFPJ43 F-1
MFPJ44 F-1
MFPJ49 F-1
MFPJ5 F-3
MFPJ9 #1 F-2
MFPJ9 #2 F-2
Numex Jalapeño Lemon Spice
Numex Jalapeño Orange Spice
Numex Jalapeño Pumpkin Spice
PI 441598 x BBG7 F-2
Pimenta Lisa F-4

MFPJ is short for MeatFreak ProJect. These are my crosses/projects. Think I sowed about 500 seeds in total, big numbers on the crosses to see the possible different phenotypes.

cubbieblue82 said:
dude, that greenhouse setup is frigging awesome. wish i had space for something like that.
Thanks, dude. Pretty happy with it myself :)

stickman said:
Your grow always pays attention to details, and so never disappoints at harvest time. Keep on truckin' Stefan, your season's gonna run on rails!
I will Rick, thanks for the kind words. Really looking forward to see the outcome of my crosses. Expecting a lot of variation.

Devv said:
I'm liking it Stefan!

Here's to a killer season :cheers:
Cheers, Scott  :cheers:

OCD Chilehead said:
Wow Stefan!!

Looking great as usual. Love the paving project.

I commend you on all the cross breeding. That's a lot of work and obviously a passion of yours.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Chuck
Yeah, the cross breeding has really become an passion of mine. It's fun to grow them out, learn and see the possibilities along the way. I hope I can share some interesting stuff. Already got some going which I keep a close eye on.

romy6 said:
 Will somebody teach this guy how to grow vegetables he is awful at it  :rolleyes:
Could you perhaps teach me  :liar:

Bumper said:
Just received some seeds of your scotch brain from Trident, really looking forward to growing these out next season.  I'll isolate some to keep growing it out.  All the best for a bumper season.  
Have fun growing it, it's not my cross though. It's an creation from PIC1 :)

Sanarda said:
Beautiful Stefan. I love your variety.  When does your season end again?
Wow, been a while Pia :) My season ends somewhere near November, winters have been very mild the last past year. Seasons are shifting.

Time for another update, been a couple of weeks :)

Overview of the tunnels.
20160619_195351.jpg

20160619_195345.jpg

Chiltepin Cappuccino
20160619_201751.jpg

MFPJ23 #1 F-3 new phenotype of this generation. 
20160619_195055.jpg

MFPJ44 F-1 From the 20 seeds only 3 germinated and I ended up with 2 plants. First one is flowering and the colors on the flowers are really something :)
20160619_194215.jpg

Pimenta Lisa F-4, again some variation but the preferred ones are the plants with dark/green leaves.
20160619_193911.jpg

20160619_200639.jpg

First harvest of snack cucumbers and zucchini.
20160619_203010.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice looking plants. Tepin is going into growth mode. Won't be long and you'll have a nice bush. Pretty flower in the MFPJ44.

I see you have a couple houses. Nice!
Thanks, the Tepin is a collection of 6 plants together so it will become a big bush for sure :)
Yeah I got 2, but it's actually 1 that I divided up so I can grow the peppers in isolation.

capsidadburn said:
Amazing flower Stefan!

Devv said:
Looking good as usual Stefan!

Love the purple flowers and leaves ;)
Thanks, Mike and Scott! Love that flower to, didn't expect that :)

meatfreak said:

Time for another update, been a couple of weeks :)

Overview of the tunnels.
20160619_195351.jpg

20160619_195345.jpg

Chiltepin Cappuccino
20160619_201751.jpg

MFPJ23 #1 F-3 new phenotype of this generation. 
20160619_195055.jpg

MFPJ44 F-1 From the 20 seeds only 3 germinated and I ended up with 2 plants. First one is flowering and the colors on the flowers are really something :)
20160619_194215.jpg

Pimenta Lisa F-4, again some variation but the preferred ones are the plants with dark/green leaves.
20160619_193911.jpg

20160619_200639.jpg

First harvest of snack cucumbers and zucchini.
20160619_203010.jpg

Great looking plants.  Do you have to grow the peppers in a tunnel in your climate?  All the seeds I got from you this past winter did really well.  The orange bbg7 was a bit challenging for some reason to germinate, but ended up with 3 plants worth and everything else germinated quickly and near 100%.

jcw10tc said:
Great looking plants.  Do you have to grow the peppers in a tunnel in your climate?  All the seeds I got from you this past winter did really well.  The orange bbg7 was a bit challenging for some reason to germinate, but ended up with 3 plants worth and everything else germinated quickly and near 100%.
Thanks. Yeah I have to grow them in a tunnel cause our climate isn't reliable enough. We've had some good years but this summer is awful. We had more rain in the past 2 months then ever. There has been days that we had all the rain thats normally falls in a month in just 1 day. Today I had some floods again, it's horrible atm. I've heard that more about the orange bbg, bbg's often tend to be more challenging to germinate. Good luck with the grow!

OCD Chilehead said:
Good idea on the isolation chamber. I'm building one as we speak. Taking notes for sure.

Thanks for the reply.
Thanks, as you can see both entrances are closed of for bugs etc. so the only thing that can now interfere are ants.

Your chiles look awesome for the abominable weather you've been having Stefan! As cool a spring as we had this year I've been thinking about setting up a proper hoophouse here for my production beds with Peppers and Eggplants. It would only have to be 10 feet wide by 20 feet long. Everything else could fend for itself.

Something I thought you might be interested in... My big experiment this year is to try a mixture of 10% biochar and 90% compost in two of my raised beds, and compare it to two raised beds with just compost. The results so far are clear that the biochar mix holds water better... an important point for soil as sandy as mine. It's also supposed to hold the dissolved nutrients at root level so you don't need to fertilize as often and it lasts in the soil for several growing seasons. From what I've heard, the major caveats are that you wouldn't want to apply too much at once... it won't harm anything, but there will be no benefit. And the other thing is that you'd want to minimize wind and water erosion that might carry away the material, but that wouldn't be a problem in your hoophouse. http://www.biochar-international.org/sites/default/files/IBI_Biochar_Application.pdf

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Looks great. Wish I could setc up a tunnel like that
Why would you with those temps you got :)

FiresOfNil said:
You've given me tons of great ideas for when I finally have land

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Thanks, glad I could help out  :lol:

stickman said:
Your chiles look awesome for the abominable weather you've been having Stefan! As cool a spring as we had this year I've been thinking about setting up a proper hoophouse here for my production beds with Peppers and Eggplants. It would only have to be 10 feet wide by 20 feet long. Everything else could fend for itself.

Something I thought you might be interested in... My big experiment this year is to try a mixture of 10% bio char and 90% compost in two of my raised beds, and compare it to two raised beds with just compost. The results so far are clear that the biochar mix holds water better... an important point for soil as sandy as mine. It's also supposed to hold the dissolved nutrients at root level so you don't need to fertilize as often and it lasts in the soil for several growing seasons. From what I've heard, the major caveats are that you wouldn't want to apply too much at once... it won't harm anything, but there will be no benefit. And the other thing is that you'd want to minimize wind and water erosion that might carry away the material, but that wouldn't be a problem in your hoophouse. http://www.biochar-international.org/sites/default/files/IBI_Biochar_Application.pdf
The weather has been horrific but the pepper poly is luckily a bit higher then the rest of my garden. So most water run of from it, also the beds are raised. Last week has been horrible and I've lost some crop already. Seeing diseases to so if it stays like this soon the tomatoes will get sick even when they are in the tunnel. It flooded 5 times this week and I also was growing water melons there... so far they survived but no idea for how long if this keeps up. Gonna try and take some precautions tomorrow in case it rains again.

Thanks for pointing out biochar, I actually already did this. I collect the ashes from my BBQ mostly. I did not know it holds water better, so far I only applied it in the poly tunnels. My soil is heavy clay so it already holds water very well, sometimes to well for my liking ;) but in the tunnels its a good quality to have. I must admit it has been a frustrating season so far when it comes to the weather. All the extra and hard work I put in to grow more veggies and fruit besides the usual tomatoes and peppers looks like it was for nothing :( My garlic was beautiful but almost half of it rotten away while they were on raised beds. Onions also.. Everyone is complaining though, I'm not the only one.

I would really set up a proper hoophouse if I were you. Our climate is pretty similar I think except your winters are colder. Anyway it may cost something but if you take good care of it and be careful it will be an huge improvement for your growth and yield. I would be lost without it, our climate just isnt reliable enough. This is the fourth season of this current poly and I hope I can use it many more years. Not looking forward to the moment I would need to replace the sheet but still better then growing outside :)

meatfreak said:
Why would you with those temps you got :)

Thanks, glad I could help out  :lol:

The weather has been horrific but the pepper poly is luckily a bit higher then the rest of my garden. So most water run of from it, also the beds are raised. Last week has been horrible and I've lost some crop already. Seeing diseases to so if it stays like this soon the tomatoes will get sick even when they are in the tunnel. It flooded 5 times this week and I also was growing water melons there... so far they survived but no idea for how long if this keeps up. Gonna try and take some precautions tomorrow in case it rains again.

Ouch! Will you dig a ditch around the polytunnel and garden to divert away excess water if it rains too hard?

Thanks for pointing out biochar, I actually already did this. I collect the ashes from my BBQ mostly. I did not know it holds water better, so far I only applied it in the poly tunnels. My soil is heavy clay so it already holds water very well, sometimes to well for my liking ;) but in the tunnels its a good quality to have. I must admit it has been a frustrating season so far when it comes to the weather. All the extra and hard work I put in to grow more veggies and fruit besides the usual tomatoes and peppers looks like it was for nothing :( My garlic was beautiful but almost half of it rotten away while they were on raised beds. Onions also.. Everyone is complaining though, I'm not the only one.

Cool! How has it been working for you up to now?  

I would really set up a proper hoophouse if I were you. Our climate is pretty similar I think except your winters are colder. Anyway it may cost something but if you take good care of it and be careful it will be an huge improvement for your growth and yield. I would be lost without it, our climate just isnt reliable enough. This is the fourth season of this current poly and I hope I can use it many more years. Not looking forward to the moment I would need to replace the sheet but still better then growing outside :)

Right now I'm too strapped for cash to think much about building one, but I can at least try to figure out whether it's more cost-effective to frame it with PVC pipe or galvanized steel fence rail. Cheers!

Back