• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

Devv said:
Plants looking really good!

Like the reuse of the buckets, gardening is expensive, anything one can do to save $$$ is OK in my book.

Have a great week!
Thanks Scott. I think using the buckets for the plants was actually my wife's idea. She's constantly keeping anything she can think I might be able to use as pots instead of throwing them away. Trying to stem the outflow of money a little I think haha. 
Will do. Going to be a wet start to the week with a little coldness again here it looks like. Thankfully it's supposed to warm up nearly straight away again though. Have a good week too!

I like the variety of containers......as long as they hold the "dirt" the plants don't care what they look like.....aha
Same situation here, I use a bit of anything thats sturdy....Nursery containers are nice, but not worth the price, especially for the large 20+ gal.
Best of luck with harvests...

Spankyscolts said:
Hey just skimmed your GLOG .. will be checking in from time to time good luck !!
Thanks for dropping in! Good luck to you for this season too.
PIC 1 said:
I like the variety of containers......as long as they hold the "dirt" the plants don't care what they look like.....aha
Same situation here, I use a bit of anything thats sturdy....Nursery containers are nice, but not worth the price, especially for the large 20+ gal.
Best of luck with harvests...
Thanks! Definitely agree on the nursery containers. I was able to order the root pouches online for a lot less than it would've cost me for the same amount of plastic pots at Lowes or Home Depot. Crazy. 
Best of luck with your harvests too.

No pictures today, and just a super quick update. Noticed while watering tonight a couple of my Jimmy Nardello seedlings have flower buds forming already, even though they're only 5-6 inches high. Is there any cause for concern there, or is it just one of those things that can happen?
Also,putting the Church plot on hold for this year, as my wife and I recently decided to take the plunge and try to purchase our own home and land, and get out of the rental living. We were approved this week to purchase, and between searching for a suitable block of land, getting all the paperwork done, packing, cleaning and finally moving I just don't think I'll be able to focus on another garden on top of my own plants and work. Still going to get a soil test done on the soil there at some stage so I can plan ahead for next year.

Ive read and been told to pinch the flowers if your plants are still small but on my first grow I just let them ride. My smallest scotch bonnet was 7 to 8 inches tall and set and ripened four pods. It hasnt set any since then but I recently moved it outside and it has started flowering again.

My black Hungarian and Chinese 5 colour are really coming on well now. Found more pods on both plants this afternoon. I'm thinking the warmer weather has really helped as the temps have been holding steady in the greenhouse, instead of fluctuating wildly like they were during the cold weather. The space heater helps during the cold, but it takes a while to kick on sometimes so temps can go from 70's to 40's before it kicks on. May have to invest in a better heater next winter. Chinense's are still dropping there flowers, though it should only be a matter of time now before they start setting pods as well. Really looking forward to finally finding my first ever superhot pod set!
Black Hungarian pods-
20140227_172308.jpg
20140227_172258.jpg

Original pod has turned that lovely black colour
20140227_172357.jpg

Chinese 5 colour
20140227_172450.jpg

20140227_172456.jpg

Original pods getting a nice size to it
20140227_172513.jpg

ivplay said:
Those are purty!  Looking good, Meathead...
Thanks ivplay!

maximumcapsicum said:
Great news on the home upgrade! I'm rooting for ya. Love the purple flowers. Bet the pods'll be great!
Thanks Adam. I'm looking forward to some black Hungarian poppers for sure! Can't wait to see how the 5 colour tastes too. If it's fairly blah, at least it looks good and the wife likes it so that's a plus either way.

On another note, I really hate UPS. My new pots were supposed to be in today, so was looking forward to transplanting some of the seedlings and a couple of the older plants this weekend. Unfortunately, they require a signature for this delivery when they come, and they decided to come by at 10:55am this morning while we were at work. Now have to wait til Tuesday to get them as I won't finish work in time Monday to go pick them up from the UPS centre. 

Congrats on the loan approval and good luck while searching for that "perfect" place. One exists out there somewhere. The wife found ours. I still remember her calling me. "You just have to go and look at this place, we just have to by it". Been here 25 years.

Plants are looking stellar too!

Pots: I found some wannabe 1 gal pots for 33 cents a piece on the net. Root bags I make out of pond underlayment. I had around $40 invested for 8 20 gal bags.

Can't you have UPS deliver to work? That's what we do ;)

Devv said:
Congrats on the loan approval and good luck while searching for that "perfect" place. One exists out there somewhere. The wife found ours. I still remember her calling me. "You just have to go and look at this place, we just have to by it". Been here 25 years.

Plants are looking stellar too!

Pots: I found some wannabe 1 gal pots for 33 cents a piece on the net. Root bags I make out of pond underlayment. I had around $40 invested for 8 20 gal bags.

Can't you have UPS deliver to work? That's what we do ;)
Thanks Scott. We've got our eye on one block already. 1/2 acre in the country sounds like a winner to me. Nice and quiet, plus enough room for a couple of gardens and room for the dogs to get some exercise in. Nice and manageable to start with too.
I got a 25 pack of 1 trade gallon grow bags for what works out to be 38 cents each from greenhousemegastore.com. Read up on making my own root bags, but the how-to's I read all required sewing and I have no idea at all how to do that haha. 
Thinking I may have to use my wife's work as my default delivery address. Only problem is UPS likes to change what times they usually deliver. I've had some packages come in around 3:30-4:00, had others come in at 9:30pm, and others come during the day. Never had a problem with USPS or Fedex, for some reason it's only UPS that likes to be difficult lol. 
thirdcoasttx said:
Ups always pisses me off.

I'll make this as quick as possible. They always have random times which is irritating, usps comes to my complex at 3:30 on the dot everytime, ups shows up between 830am and 730 pm, they left my $200 order of lights and a couple other things sitting by the front door instead of taking it 50ft to the office. On valentines day they kept my wifes flowers and chocolates in a hot truck for 9 hrs needless to say her flowers were dead and the box of chocolates was mush. Sorry to rant on your glog but screw those guys.

Picked up some 6 inch pots from Lowes while we were out yesterday as I really wanted to get a few plants transplanted into bigger pots this weekend. Potted up my Jimmy Nardello's, a Safi red hab, MoA and CGN21500. 
20140302_114519.jpg

Also picked up a 26 inch pot, and transplanted one of my OW's into it. May take a while for it to start growing again as it was seriously rootbound.
20140302_114528.jpg

Back