• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

thirdcoasttx said:
Oh man those look good!!
Definitely are! I highly recommend them if you haven't tried them.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I am glad you like em.  I guess I screwed the pooch by not running them this season.  I got enough new stuff to try I don't think I will be short of heat here....but they might have to make a return next year.

They do look delicious!!  
Thanks Jeff. I thought I'd messed up not doing any jalapeno's this year, but judging by how they're producing so far I think these may take a permanent place over the jal's from now on. If I get enough during the season I'd be more than happy to send you a box if you'd be interested.
Things are kicking along here nicely lately. The weather's been great (though they do have storms predicted for my weekend off), and the plants are growing nicely. I just need to learn patience when it comes to the pods growing. As soon as I see some new ones I want them to be ripe already! Lol.
Found this little guy on one of my Thai fire's. Ladybug emerging from it's larval stage into adulthood
DSCF0265.JPG

One of my small aji pineapples has it's first buds forming
DSCF0266.JPG

Jimmy Nardello pods are coming along nicely
DSCF0267.JPG

DSCF0268.JPG

Strawberries
DSCF0270.JPG

DSCF0271.JPG

Not Brazilian starfish looks to be starting to ripen
DSCF0272.JPG

Another one of my mislabelled plants has pods forming. 
DSCF0273.JPG

Triple coty Primo is growing extremely well. 
DSCF0274.JPG

That's it for now. Thanks for looking!

Wow!

Things are coming along nicely!

I'm Jealous of those strawberries, ours are in their second year and the fruit is small and distorted. Must be a nutrient issue, OK I'm guessing ;)

Love the Lady Bug shot! Glad you have them working for you.

Can you describe the taste of the Black Hungarians? They look tasty!

Devv said:
Wow!

Things are coming along nicely!

I'm Jealous of those strawberries, ours are in their second year and the fruit is small and distorted. Must be a nutrient issue, OK I'm guessing ;)

Love the Lady Bug shot! Glad you have them working for you.

Can you describe the taste of the Black Hungarians? They look tasty!
Thanks Scott. I can't even remember what mix I have the strawberries in lol. I think it's a 50/50 mix of the Vigoro organic mix I had trouble with and miracle gro. Only nutrients I've been giving them is some seaweed extract whenever I remember to. I must be doing something right with them though, my wife absolutely loves them!
I'm terrible at describing the flavours of peppers but I'll give it a go. They taste similar to jalapeno's to me, but don't have the "grassy" taste I've noticed with jalapeno's sometimes. The sweetness and aftertaste reminded me of red bells, only a little sweeter. 
Tonight's dinner. Started off with a store bought crust, pizza sauce (can't wait to try making my own with fresh tomatoes), cheddar cheese, sliced black Hungarians, onion, pepperoni and bacon
20140506_182548.jpg

20140506_183238.jpg

Finished photos will be up after I'm done stuffing my face.

Finished pizza. Served it up with a side of garlic bread. Delicious!
20140506_190337.jpg

thirdcoasttx said:
Awesome I'm gonna have to grow those next year they look too good!!! I bet some poppers would kick ass.
I made poppers with the few pods I got in a box from HBJ last year. They definitely make killer poppers! If you need seeds let me know. I've got the seeds from these pods drying at the moment, should be ready to go in about a week. They're OP though as I didn't isolate any. 

I made poppers with the few pods I got in a box from HBJ last year. They definitely make killer poppers! If you need seeds let me know. I've got the seeds from these pods drying at the moment, should be ready to go in about a week. They're OP though as I didn't isolate any. 

I appreciate that and might just take you up on that. Let me know when they are ready!

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice glog. I'm sorry it's taken so long to visit. Plants are looking awesome.
Thanks OCD! Appreciate it!

maximumcapsicum said:
Nardellos are heating up!!! What's the plan for them?
I'm planning on using them in some cooking, and maybe even trying to make a sauce with them if I can keep myself from eating them straight off the plant haha. 

thirdcoasttx said:
I appreciate that and might just take you up on that. Let me know when they are ready!
Will do!

compmodder26 said:
That ladybug pic is awesome!  Really cool.  Your plants look great!
Thanks Brian! Got lucky with the ladybug shot. 5 minutes later it had moved off, must have just caught it before it was ready to go.

Devv said:
I have 3 or 4 Nardello's growing. I'm going to dry and fry some, and make a sauce, as well as add them to salsa. Very nice growing and productive pepper.
Nice idea on the nards in salsa. I don't eat salsa myself, but sounds like something my wife would love! 

My wife finally ran out of patience waiting for her first tomato to ripen, so she had me pick it this afternoon so she can have fried green tomato with dinner tonight. 
DSCF0295.JPG

Fatalii is putting out pods nicely. Can't wait til they start to ripen
DSCF0299.JPG

Volunteer sunflower is growing like crazy. 
DSCF0300.JPG

Just some of the pods on the aji lemon
DSCF0301.JPG

My 3 wilds getting used to the great outdoors. CAP215
DSCF0302.JPG

More black Hungarians ripening already
DSCF0308.JPG

My wife's dark blue Veronica in bloom
DSCF0305.JPG

Hah! My wife's the same way, always looking for semi ripe jal's. I think this weekend I'll let her pick a few ;)

Wow that Fatalii is loading up!

Devv said:
Hah! My wife's the same way, always looking for semi ripe jal's. I think this weekend I'll let her pick a few ;)

Wow that Fatalii is loading up!
I'm lucky there as mine leaves all the pepper picking to me, and I'm not a tomato eater so those plants are hers to do as she pleases. 
Yeah it's a toss up between that one and the scorpion as to which has the most pods at the moment. Both are loading up nicely.Though the fatalii has thrown me for another loop as I found a small pod on it this afternoon taking a scorpion shape
20140508_175859.jpg

I really need to label better next year

Nice looking little pod there.

Foodie pics looked awesome.  You don't need to send me any of them.  I think I will have enough peppers to chow on here this season.  Perhaps if you have some extra seed as I am not sure if I saved any last year from them.  

Jealous of your strawberries I might add too.  Hope my new plants give me a taste this year.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking little pod there.

Foodie pics looked awesome.  You don't need to send me any of them.  I think I will have enough peppers to chow on here this season.  Perhaps if you have some extra seed as I am not sure if I saved any last year from them.  

Jealous of your strawberries I might add too.  Hope my new plants give me a taste this year.
Thanks Jeff. Our strawberries are going great at the moment. I think my wife counted 25 berries between 2 plants this afternoon, and that's on top of the one's she's already picked off. Hope yours do good!
I'll have extra seed for the Hungarians for sure. Will actually have some ready by the end of this weekend. I haven't isolated any of them so far so they'll be OP, but will be more than willing to send some if you want them.

Back