• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

MeatHead1313 said:
Not sure why but some of the lemon drop pods have these spikes over the bottom half of the pod, while other pods are perfectly smooth
20140515_071507.jpg
Whoa, thats one funky lookin pepper. Sucks to hear about the caterpillars. Do you know what type of blackberries those are? they look huge...

Runescape said:
Whoa, thats one funky lookin pepper. Sucks to hear about the caterpillars. Do you know what type of blackberries those are? they look huge...
Can't remember what type of blackberries they are. We got that plant and the raspberry from Home Depot last year and just put them in the ground. The caterpillars are a pain, but at least they're easy to spot on the plants.
So it seems our redneck herb garden is more than just a herb garden now. Found a bird nest tucked in behind the dill this afternoon
20140515_151609.jpg

Finally had a day with light winds instead of the gales we've been getting so was able to get some more plants potted up
Store bought jalapeno
20140515_174020.jpg

Red bhut
20140515_174034.jpg

CAP215
20140515_174100.jpg

Yellow 7 pot
20140515_174108.jpg

Scotch bonnet TFM
20140515_174130.jpg

Bahamian goat
20140515_174138.jpg

Aji pineapple
20140515_174150.jpg

Black Hungarian
20140515_174206.jpg

Bhut Indian carbon
20140515_174326.jpg

Got a few others potted up as well, and still have 15-20 pepper plants left to go, and roughly 6 more tomatoes. Need to make another trip to Lowes for a couple more bales of peat moss. Hopefully I'll finally be finished by next weekend.

MeatHead1313 said:
Can't remember what type of blackberries they are. We got that plant and the raspberry from Home Depot last year and just put them in the ground. The caterpillars are a pain, but at least they're easy to spot on the plants.
Nice healthy lookin plants. How many caterpillars have you found so far?

I was wondering about the blackberries because they remind me of loganberries
gfft_loganberries.jpg

Runescape said:
Nice healthy lookin plants. How many caterpillars have you found so far?

I was wondering about the blackberries because they remind me of loganberries
gfft_loganberries.jpg
Found 7 or 8 this morning, haven't seen any more yet but waiting for the sun to go down then I'll do another search.
Those berries do look similar. It is possible they could be them too as the raspberry plant we got was supposed to be a red raspberry that turned out to be a black raspberry.

That spiky lemon drop pod looks evil! Love it. Im growing cilantro for the first time but am not sure when exactly you harvest. Do you have to wait for it to flower or what?

thirdcoasttx said:
That spiky lemon drop pod looks evil! Love it. Im growing cilantro for the first time but am not sure when exactly you harvest. Do you have to wait for it to flower or what?
I can't wait for those lemon drops to ripen so I can give them a try! The cilantro should be harvested before flowering. This is my first time growing herbs and from what I've read they'll die after flowering, but re-sow themselves petty easily.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I think the loganberry is a cross with a black and a rasp....not quite sure since there were so many crosses done.
Just quickly googled it and it would seem you're correct. I know very little about berries, other than the fact I like eating them lol.

Runescape said:
Damn meat, didnt recognize you w/o the bird avatar lol...
Haha, I like to change things up every now and then. Figured I finally have some good looking pods growing I might as well use one as my avatar for now.

Devv said:
Looking good!

You know you're going to make me buy Raspberries for next year.

Check for those caterpillars every day or get some BT, it's natural.

Have a great weekend!
Haha, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying more myself after trying some fresh off the plant. Would love to have enough to make jellies with, but think I'd need far too many plants for that as both of us wouldn't be able to help but eat them straight away.
Been checking as much as I can, haven't noticed any more caterpillars yet thankfully. Thanks for the heads up on the BT too. One quick question, is it safe for beneficial bugs? 
My weekend will be spent at work unfortunately, but thankfully Sunday's only a half day. Nice weather predicted so hopefully either a little fishing and/or garden work in the afternoon to relax with. Hope you have a good one!
Small haul today, but it's slowly getting bigger! Got a few small fatalii's, which still have quite a punch even for small early season pods, some black Hungarians and some Chinese 5 colour's. I gave one of the ripe 5 colour's a taste test and was pleasantly surprised. While they don't have the greatest flavour I've tasted from the peppers I've tried, they did actually have a decent taste, though very seedy for such small pods. They seem like they'd make decent snacking pods for me, or would be great either as a straight powder or smoked powder for rubs. 
20140516_203719.jpg

Devv said:
The BT is a natural virus that only affects worm type larvae, or caterpillars. One bite and they stop eating and begin to die. Dipel dust is BT, and they make a liquid.
Thanks for the info Scott! Sounds like it works similar to mosquito dunks then for fungus gnats. Appreciate it.

The dunks are BT as well. I catch rain water when it happens to rain here, using anything I can. I had 2 48 qt coolers collecting. The next morning I saw the skitors swimming and chunked a 1/4 piece of dunk in there. 24 hours later they were dead :party:

Devv said:
The dunks are BT as well. I catch rain water when it happens to rain here, using anything I can. I had 2 48 qt coolers collecting. The next morning I saw the skitors swimming and chunked a 1/4 piece of dunk in there. 24 hours later they were dead :party:
I think I'd need more dunks than what's available to kill the mosquitoes around here. Damn things are a menace, even in the middle of winter! And now that it's been warm they're out in force. Which reminds me-I need to get more insect repellent. I love being outside at night but it's impossible without some sort of protection, and it's too humid to be wearing long clothing.

Found this little guy while having a smoke break at work this morning. We wanted to keep it as a store pet, but none of the girls wanted anything to do with it
20140517_123156.jpg

Hurry up and finish ripening!
20140517_184812.jpg

My first SB7J pod!
20140517_184836.jpg

Another new tomato for the better half to try. Our first black seaman tomato
20140517_184937.jpg

Sangria's really loading up for such a small plant. This thing's going to look nice when they ripen
20140517_185049.jpg

Aji pineapple's are flowering. One of my wife's (and mine) favourites
20140517_185323.jpg

I'm now up to 4 MoA pods set! My patience is going to be seriously tested on these pods as bonnets are possibly my number 1 favourite pepper, and I've been itching to try these ever since I got the seeds from Jamison
20140517_185549.jpg

20140517_185600.jpg

20140517_185621.jpg

That's it for today. Thanks for looking!

Devv said:
Well I know it's more rainy-humid where you are. I simply hate gnats or skitors bugging me. When they do bug us we use a deet repellant.

At least it rains there ;)

Here it's a treat!
Hoping you get some rain this summer! It's crazy to think you're not really that far from here, yet we get quite a bit of rain while you get hardly any. I'm really hoping we get a day or two of rain in 2 weeks time. We're going on vacation so need the rain to keep my babies alive while we're gone. One disadvantage to doing an all container grow with limited space. 

Devv said:
I would bring them in the shade if you can.

We have 3 4 day trips planned in July, my worries ;)
I thought about that, but not sure if they'll last 8 days without water. If there's no rain predicted for when we're out of town I may have to hit up my sister in law to come water them once or twice. She's not interested in peppers at all, but I'm sure a promise of fresh tomatoes will pique her interest.
So I just found out my niece accidentally topped one of my serrano plants today. My wife had her for the day while I was at work, and apparently she tripped over the dogs leash while she was walking them and broke one of the plants. May use this as a chance to do a little experiment and see how topped plants do compared to untopped as I still have 2 other serrano's that were roughly the same size still going as well.
Knocked a good 2/3 off the plant, but most importantly she didn't hurt herself.
20140517_203059.jpg

Back