• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Sure did look like a great price, and a great setup overall. Can't wait to see it filled with plants!

Most plants do indeed do their growing at night. They build their cell walls during the day and then pump the new cells, which are there when the sun goes down, full of water at night, which is why the growth is perceptible. One of the reasons dusk watering can be a good idea... you don't want them to want for water at night.
Me too! Haha. Going to need some more lights if I add more plants to it. Seriously thinking of either adding some cfl trees to the shelf, or setting up a few cfl trees under the desk in the spare room. Under the desk gives me a lot more room, which means more plants!  :dance:
Appreciate the info!

Time for some non pepper pics. 
Lettuce taking off. This thing gets bigger by the day
DSCF0128.JPG

Spinach is growing, not as fast as the lettuce though
DSCF0129.JPG

My wife's excited for this one. Strawberries throwing out flowers
DSCF0130.JPG

Aloe vera's growing well too. 
DSCF0131.JPG

Need to get some pics of my seedlings under the lights. Definitely seeing some growth since bringing them inside and under lights. I think the longer light times compared to outside in the greenhouse are helping there. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Delicious looking greens. Happy lunch!

How long do you leave your lights on? I've been doing 16 hours on the bonchis... Wondering if I should change things up.
Thanks maxcap! After trying the lettuce, not sure if I can go back to store bought. Absolutely delicious, with a nice sweetness too. 
I've been doing roughly 12 on 12 off with the lights. It's crazy how much difference they've made after only 2 1/2 days. When I brought my red bhuts sprouts in the coty's were very thin, they're at least twice as wide as they were before now. Probably going to get the stuff to set up a cfl tree under the desk in there as well very soon. Going to need more space and light once I get sprouts in the seed trays. 

Great work, MeatH. those big plants are looking exceptionally lush.

I wouldn't bother potting the okra. I think it actually does better as a direct sow.
Its like the state flower in LA anyways, ain't it? ;)
Very pretty flower, followed by tasty pods, especially pickled.

I'm getting curious about the T5 now, I built out last year using T8, cause that's all I find/afford.
Maybe I could retro-fit and angle some from my top corners for a little bump on a shelf or two.

JJJessee said:
Great work, MeatH. those big plants are looking exceptionally lush.

I wouldn't bother potting the okra. I think it actually does better as a direct sow.
Its like the state flower in LA anyways, ain't it? ;)
Very pretty flower, followed by tasty pods, especially pickled.

I'm getting curious about the T5 now, I built out last year using T8, cause that's all I find/afford.
Maybe I could retro-fit and angle some from my top corners for a little bump on a shelf or two.
Thanks JJJesse. Okra won't be started til after we move. We'll be renting so need to find out if we can plant in the ground once we find somewhere. My wife loves it pretty much any way, though especially fried. I've tried it a couple of times and didn't care for it so it'll be purely hers lol.
I ended up going with the T5's because I couldn't find any suitable T8 fixtures locally that I could just plug in. All had to be hard wired. Another drawback to renting. That said I'm loving the T5's. Just wish I'd bought 2 bulb fixtures instead of 1 bulb fixtures. 

I'm loving my T5's! Seedlings are growing quicker than they were outside, and finally have a few showing signs of having some true leaves beginning to form. 

MoA Jamaican Scotch bonnet
DSCF0149.JPG

SB7J
DSCF0164.JPG

Red bhut's are getting bigger. The coty's on these were really thin when I put them under the lights
DSCF0161.JPG

Aji amarillo. This one's growing the quickest. 
DSCF0148.JPG

This SB7J has surprised me that it didn't die. It was a helmet head that I tore the coty's while trying to remove the seed case. Growing well despite my mess up. 
DSCF0165.JPG

Thanks MC! I'm sure you'll have no problem. The cfl trees look good. I'm deciding between cfl trees or a 4ft 2 bulb t5 setup for under the desk. Found a t5 setup like I want for $65 on ebay, just need to find out if it's any good.

Penny said:
Well done, everythings looking great!! :dance:
Thanks Penny!

PaulG said:
I found my 4' x 2 T5HO fixtures here for around $50:

http://www.htgsupply.com/Default
Thanks for the info Paul. Same company I'd found on ebay. Cost seems to be the same after shipping is added. Still undecided between cfl's or the T5's. Leaning towards the T5's as I'm loving the one's I have, and initial price seems like it'll be roughly the same between the 2. 

Finally getting some action from my seeds. Have 1 Jimmy Nardello, 2 Jamaican yellow mushroom and 1 of Phil's not Jays Peach ghost scorpion/chocolate scorpion mutts showing hooks. Hoping I can get at least one of each variety germinated and grown up to maturity. 

Babies look great!

Those T5's are fantastic, the one I bought was from Amazon a 4' 4 bulb HO commercial unit, $124.00 and free shipping. It's well constructed and has a reflector. Expensive, yes! But I'm loving the results. I just had to try one..

And anything you grow at the house will simply blow away store bought produce.

Keep it green!

Devv said:
Babies look great!

Those T5's are fantastic, the one I bought was from Amazon a 4' 4 bulb HO commercial unit, $124.00 and free shipping. It's well constructed and has a reflector. Expensive, yes! But I'm loving the results. I just had to try one..

And anything you grow at the house will simply blow away store bought produce.

Keep it green!
Thanks Devv. Definitely agree that fruit and veggies you grow yourself blow away store bought stuff. 
Would love to get a 4 bulb T5 fixture, but think that may be a bit more than I need for my grow. Once my seedlings reach between 4-6 inches high I'll be placing them out in the greenhouse, and once all the peppers are out they'll only be getting used for a small indoor herb garden. Definitely getting a 4ft 2 bulb fixture though. The convenience of just being able to plug in and go won me out over setting up a cfl tree. Plus, I love the T5's I have now.  :dance:

Daily plant check when I got home from work revealed a lot more hooks showing. Now have 1 unknown Mexican, 3 bishop's crown, 1 Jimmy Nardello, 1 Scotch bonnet TFM, 1 CGN21500, 1 yellow scorpion, 4 Jamaican yellow mushroom and 3 SAFI red habs either hooking or sprouted. The amount that popped today really has me happy. Hoping I have more when I get home tomorrow. 
A few pics of the new babies-
DSCF0168.JPG

DSCF0169.JPG

DSCF0171.JPG

DSCF0172.JPG

DSCF0173.JPG

DSCF0175.JPG

Back