• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

PaulG said:
I put foil on the bottom of my grow shelf, and I noticed a difference
in the amount of light illuminating the bottoms of the leaves.  I figure
the more light bouncing around, the better.  Every photon counts!

Your new light set-up/shelf is way cool, brother!

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you don't necessarily want light hitting the bottoms of the leaves? It made sense to me since that doesn't really happen in nature.... But if you are getting good results, maybe I'm misinformed and wrong about this?

Also... I'm very interested to see what you think of the flavor on those 5 colors Meathead. I was actually looking through a seed catalog today, and thought they looked really awesome! Even more of a plus if they have great flavor. Keep us posted!!

Nick08* said:

Also... I'm very interested to see what you think of the flavor on those 5 colors Meathead. I was actually looking through a seed catalog today, and thought they looked really awesome! Even more of a plus if they have great flavor. Keep us posted!!
Will definitely update when I get to try the pods on the 5 colour. Once I get enough pods on it I may even try the different colour stages and see if I can notice any difference in heat and flavour. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Looking great MeatHead! The new lights are fantastic!
Thanks MC! Hoping now the sprouts will start growing straight. The one's on the outside of the tray had started bending inwards under the single bulb trying to reach for the light. I've probably been a bit over ambitious for my first real grow, but having a blast despite the problems and mistakes I've encountered on the way. 

Penny said:
Those new lights will be great for starting tomato seeds too... ;) , which are on the way. :dance:
Definitely going to be using them for the tomatoes. Thanks again Penny!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Congrats on the new light and on all the germination.  I see I am not the only one waiting on Jaques to pop.  Good luck and your plants are looking good.
Thanks HBJ. If this seed doesn't pop I think I'll plant some more. Too delicious to not have at least one plant growing.

Essegi said:

Wow, what a good light coverage!
Definitely has good coverage. Blew me away when I first turned them on. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Gonna have some strong transplants in no time!
Sure hoping so! 

May have some new growing space soon if all goes well. My wife's been working on the computer network at the Church she goes to, and the Pastor had asked her what they could have me setup to work on. She said a fishing pond, but when she mentioned it to me I said what about a decent sized garden to grow vegetables to give out to the people of the Church. She mentioned it to the Pastor today and he was all for it. Going to meet with him this weekend to discuss it. If it gets the go ahead I'll be reserving some space for a few of my own pepper plants. Hope it works out!

While doing my usual after work plant check, noticed I had my final black Hungarian sprout, which has also given me my first extra coty sprout.
4 coty black Hungarian-
20140117_142915.jpg

Also have my first black Hungarian flower open on the outside plant-
20140117_155143.jpg

Also have some chinense buds about to open. Finally I might be close to putting an end to the mystery of which plants which! 
20140117_155155.jpg

20140117_155210.jpg

I also have a quick question for anyone that may know. Due to lack of space in the seed trays I used, and being uncertain of germination rates, I planted multiple seeds of each variety in some of the cells that have all germinated. When would be the best time to separate the 2 plants so as to not interfere with the root growth? Should I do it now while they still only have their coty's, or wait until they have at least one set of true leaves? 

HillBilly Jeff said:
I waited until the first set of trues.  I didn't want to wait too long and let the roots get tangled.

Nice pics!!!
Thanks HBJ. Seeing as it's the milder peppers I planted multiples of in the same cell I figured if I have too many I can either give some away or sell some at the market so didn't want to cull any. Did you wait til the first trues were fully out or just until they showed them coming in?

MeatHead1313 said:
I also have a quick question for anyone that may know. Due to lack of space in the seed trays I used, and being uncertain of germination rates, I planted multiple seeds of each variety in some of the cells that have all germinated. When would be the best time to separate the 2 plants so as to not interfere with the root growth? Should I do it now while they still only have their coty's, or wait until they have at least one set of true leaves? 

If I need to separate, I tend to wait until they are standing erect, just to make sure they are healthy and going to live.  I think it's better to move them before the first true leaves come in, I imagine when that happens, it starts getting more energy for root growth, which would then be damaged from transferring... but as long as there are roots and it has enough time to grow in its new spot, it'll probably be fine either way.

maximumcapsicum said:
Purple flowers look amazing. Is that a common trait among the black hungarians?
Not sure being my first year growing them. Hope so though as both myself and my wife like the flowers

Devv said:
Everything's looking good!

Love the 4 coty plant!

Congrats on the lights...
Thanks Devv! I've seen a few 3 or 4 coty plants in glogs this year and was kind of hoping I'd get my own. This one was the last Hungarian seed to pop but suddenly it's become my favourite, Definitely looks different amongst the other sprouts. 
Spicegeist said:

If I need to separate, I tend to wait until they are standing erect, just to make sure they are healthy and going to live.  I think it's better to move them before the first true leaves come in, I imagine when that happens, it starts getting more energy for root growth, which would then be damaged from transferring... but as long as there are roots and it has enough time to grow in its new spot, it'll probably be fine either way.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Fully out.  That is why if I do happen to plant multiples in a cell, I try to space them out equally.  Usually I just use the pellets and only one seed per pellet.
Thanks for the info guys. As I have more yellow mushrooms than I was expecting I may try both. 

Back