• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

Devv said:
I just love it when they hook!

Continued success!

maximumcapsicum said:
Welcome to the world little guys! Looking great MH! Can't wait to see them put on their true leaves!
Thanks guys! More hooks appeared over night. Had another yellow mushroom (5/5), another Nard (2/5), yellow scorpion (2/2), CGN21500 (2/3) and 2 Black Hungarian's (2/5) pop up overnight. Including what's already popped I'm now at 3/3 for the Bishop's crown, 3/3 for the Safi red hab, 1/1 for the unknown Mexican and 1/2 for the Scotch bonnet TFM. Only seeds that haven't had any hooks show yet are the yellow 7 pots, Bonda ma Jacques and not yellow brain strain. 

Rookie mistake for me to learn from. Make a list of how many seeds of each variety I plant. Got home tonight to be greeted with more sprouts for some varieties that I'd forgotten I'd planted. I now have either hooking or sprouted-
1/1 unknown Mexican
3/3 Bishop's crown
1/2 Scotch bonnet TFM
2/5 Jimmy Nardello
5/5 Jamaican yellow mushroom
2/2 yellow scorpion
3/3 CGN21500
3/5 Black Hungarian
4/4 SAFI red hab (forgot I'd planted 2 seeds in 1 plug)
1/2 yellow 7 pot
Still waiting for the Bonda ma Jacques (0/1) and not yellow brain strain (0/2) to pop. Currently sitting at 71% germination for these seeds. 

MeatHead1313 said:
Found a 4ft 4 bulb T5HO fixture on Amazon for $76. Couldn't pass it up so ordered it. Hoping it doesn't take too long to get here so I can get all the sprouts under even light instead of being spread out under a single bulb fixture. 
You are going to love it! :P

Devv said:
Oh, now life changes as you know it...the T5 is a whole "nother realm" as far as light is concerned.

Be prepared for explosive growth!

HabaneroHead said:
You are going to love it! :P

maximumcapsicum said:
Can't wait to see the new setup!
Thanks guys! Going by how much I'm loving the little 2ft 1 bulb T5's so far, I think it's safe to say the new one will really blow me away. Already have a use for it once the peppers and the tomatoes I've yet to start are moved outside. My wife wants me to use them to grow some herbs inside, and if it makes it ok with her for me to buy more stuff for my peppers, then I say hell yeah! Haha. Happy wife=happy life! 

Did it again. I had another Jamaican yellow mushroom, CGN21500 and SAFI red hab pop today that I'd forgotten I'd planted. Now standing at-
1/1 unknown Mexican
3/3 Bishop's crown
1/2 Scotch bonnet TFM
5/5 Jimmy Nardello
6/6 Jamaican yellow mushroom
2/2 yellow scorpion
4/4 CGN21500
4/5 Black Hungarian
5/5 SAFI red hab 
1/2 yellow 7 pot
Percentage sprouted is now at 82%. Extremely happy with how well these seeds are germinating. Can't wait to find a new house so I have room outside for all these plants. Still have 2 or 3 more varieties of peppers I want to plant, plus more lettuce and spinach as well as some tomatoes and maybe okra for my wife. Definitely run out of room outside for the current plants already when it comes time for them to go out.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice MH! How many days till most of those varieties sprouted?
So far the quickest was 6 days, at 9 days now since planting. Bonda ma Jacques I'm expecting a bit longer for if it germs due to no soaking, and the not yellow brain I'm attributing to being a super, which I've read take longer. Either that or I planted them too deep. Lol. I really have nothing to compare these seeds to any others I've planted as each planting has been in different mediums and conditions. Having said that, all these seeds have had no helmet heads yet so definitely preferring the MG seed starter mix and Fox Farm Light Warrior in that regard compared to jiffy pellets. 

Devv said:
New starts look great!

And it seems you figured out marriage, if Momma is happy, everyone is happy! :D
Thanks Devv. She's really happy today. Received some tomato seeds from neoguy in the mail today. Pretty sure she's praying my sprouts get moved to solo cups soon so I can start the tomatoes. 
maximumcapsicum said:
Fantastic MH! Love the cutlery labels. Easy to move around too! Tons of true leaves.
Thanks MC! Got the idea to use the cheap cutlery as labels from somewhere on here, can't remember where I first saw it though. Definitely a lot cheaper than the plant labels they sell at Lowes. 

Chris, your grow is going to spin into high gear now!  

Good going, brother!

And great score on the light fixture.  $76 for 16' of T5HO
light is an awesome price.  Can't wait to see it in action!

Thanks Paul! Was all set for a 2 bulb fixture, but as soon as I saw the 4 bulb for only a few dollars more I couldn't pass it up. Can't wait to get it in, set it up and get some plants under it!

New lights came in today!  :dance:   Already had the space planned out (under an unused table in the spare bedroom) so all I had to do was put them in. I've gotta say, I thought the single bulb 2ft T5HO's I had were great. The 4ft 4 bulb is freaking awesome! Wish I'd looked a bit better for lights now that I have this fixture as it only cost me roughly $20 more than the 2 little single bulb units.  :banghead:   Oh well, I'm sure I can put the others to good use somehow. Possibly an indoor grow on the better half's orchid. Need to research that first though. 
New seedling setup-
DSCF0195.JPG

The babies in their new home-
DSCF0189.JPG

DSCF0190.JPG

DSCF0192.JPG

Also, while checking the plants in the greenhouse, I noticed I may have my 1st pods forming!  :woohoo:   Chinese 5 colour showing signs of actually forming pods and not dropping flowers. 
DSCF0197.JPG

Back