• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Great list loan, love your container grow. Sometimes I wish I could just stick them all in ocean forest and let them thrive. Your grow is coming close!

Nice BBQ! I got to expand my abilities on that front too. Right now all I do is burgers and whole chickens.
Thanks Adam. I haven't even got whole chickens down yet. My last attempt had to be finished in the oven lol. Steaks, burgers, pork chops and pork steaks are all I'm really good at right now.
Was really hoping to get a heap of potting mix made today so I could get most of the plants up into final homes. Mother Nature decided otherwise. 10-20mph winds with gusts at nearly 25 put a damper on that. 20-30mph winds predicted for tomorrow so not happening then either. We did manage to get some made and get a few plants potted up though. I also picked up a bag of Ferti-Lome Ultimate potting mix from the feed store today. It was easily the lightest potting mix I've ever bought. Will be interesting to see how the plants in it do.
This is what I get for planting multiple seeds per cell. An absolute cluster of tangled roots. I was lucky enough to get them separated without doing any damage though. 
20140426_164248.jpg

Got the pink queen tomato seedlings potted up into 6 inch pots. If these grow anything like the rest of my tomato plants they'll need repotting again very soon
20140426_165018.jpg

Group shit of today's seedling transplant. Douglah, CAP215, black naga and the Growdown aji chuncho's in their new digs
20140426_165052.jpg

One of my SB7J's went into it's final home. 10 gallon root pouch with the ferti lome mix.
20140426_173329.jpg

Got some tomatoes potted up into their final homes too. 
Black seaman tomato (Penny's seed)
20140426_173339.jpg

Manx marvel (Penny)
20140426_173345.jpg

Lime green salad (neoguy)
20140426_173349.jpg

Chocolate scorpion? is really starting to pod up. Finding new pods every day 
20140426_173442.jpg

My growdown chuncho's were starting to struggle a little due to the MG they were in holding far too much water. I'm having a hard time lately with the plants under lights holding too much water. May need to try sitting the cups/pots on something to allow better drainage.
Chuncho's in their new home. Thanks to wayright for the seeds
20140426_173639.jpg

20140426_173646.jpg

That's 10. More after a bump.

The chuncho's are hard to grow from my experience. Really slow to get going for sure.

Please keep those winds away from me, I've had enough this spring...

Thanks thirdcoast!

My little bhut Indian carbon is doing well in it's new mix. Looking nice and healthy again and putting on some new growth
20140426_173656.jpg

I've got another black Hungarian podding like crazy. Counted 12 pods on this one today, with more flowers still open
20140426_173747.jpg

Non pepper updates-
Our blackberry bush is absolutely covered in berries. Can't wait to start snacking on these while tending the plants
20140426_173805.jpg

20140426_173809.jpg

Strawberries are starting the ripening process which has the better half excited
20140426_173816.jpg

Repotted the aloe vera into some fresh mix. This thing has grown quite a bit since we first got it
20140426_173832.jpg

That's it for today. Thanks for stopping by!

Devv said:
The chuncho's are hard to grow from my experience. Really slow to get going for sure.

Please keep those winds away from me, I've had enough this spring...
Mine were looking good for quite a while, though growing slowly, then for some reason the mix they were in started holding too much water. I did switch from top watering to bottom watering around the same time, so maybe that had something to do with it?
I'll do my best. I just really wish the winds wouldn't decide to pick up like that on my days off. Perfect weather all week while at work, get to my weekend off and bam. Windy. At least I got a little fishing in yesterday afternoon instead of leaving it til today.

Looking good MeatHead!  I just picked my first ripe strawberry of the year today actually.  Too bad the wifey and my son snatched it out of my hand as I walked through the door :mope: Waiting for more to come!  Watch them babies take off now that they daddy got them a new pair of shoes!

Jamison said:
Looking good MeatHead!  I just picked my first ripe strawberry of the year today actually.  Too bad the wifey and my son snatched it out of my hand as I walked through the door :mope: Waiting for more to come!  Watch them babies take off now that they daddy got them a new pair of shoes!
Thanks Jamison! My wife loves it because I don't eat strawberries so she gets them all to herself. She's got a couple off them already and absolutely loved them so she's constantly checking them. 
Hoping the chuncho's follow the patterns all the other plants have shown. For some reason they've all grown slow up until going in either 6 inch pots or 1 gallon root pouches, then really taken off. 
My MoA's from your seed are doing great too. Only problem I've had is the slugs and snails love them. Other than that they're growing good and looking healthy. Can't wait to try my first MoA! 

Plant shots are looking great. I especially love your mater trellises. Kind of wish I had a bigger variety of maters going myself, but the peppers always take precedence.

How hard is it to grow blackberries? When do you think you'll be doing some harvesting?

maximumcapsicum said:
Plant shots are looking great. I especially love your mater trellises. Kind of wish I had a bigger variety of maters going myself, but the peppers always take precedence.

How hard is it to grow blackberries? When do you think you'll be doing some harvesting?
Thanks Adam. I'm hoping the tomato trellises hold up once the plants load up with maters. Will have to wait and see on that.
The blackberries have been very easy to grow for me. The soil they're in is pretty much just clay that we tried to amend last year with no real result. The only real nutrients it's been given is from old potting mix I've dumped around it to try to help it a little bit. So pretty much no work and it's grown extremely well. Hoping to do some harvesting soon, though this is the first year I've had blackberries so not sure how long they take to ripen.

Devv said:
Looking good!

Outside full time yet?
Thanks! Yeah most are out full time now. Still have a lot of small plants in the greenhouse, but it has all the vents open so they're pretty much getting the same weather as the others. As they get potted up they stay out for good. 
Time for some more pics.
Black pearl setting some pods
20140427_145513.jpg

Sangria has some nice little clusters of pods 
20140427_082602.jpg

Chinese 5 colour is really showing some nice variation now
20140427_082611.jpg

SAFI red hab getting ready to open it's first flower
20140427_082810_1.jpg

Serrano's are forking nicely
20140427_145539.jpg

20140427_145542.jpg

First serrano flowers open. This one's been getting hit by the damn slugs and snails
20140427_145832.jpg

Bishop's crown looking nice and healthy
20140427_145637.jpg

Danko's are growing really well and getting quite a few flowers now
20140427_145713.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking!

Well it turns out what I thought was going to be a chocolate scorpion is either a yellow bhut or fatalii. I'd checked the big pod yesterday afternoon, and it was still fully green. Showed absolutely no hint of a colour change. After I got home from work and checked the plants, this is what I found-
20140429_180818.jpg

My (hopefully) first ripe non ornamental pepper for the year! As this is my first time growing any of these though I have a question. Do chocolate pods go straight from green to brown, or do they progress through different colours first?  If they do indeed turn from straight from green to brown and this is either a fatalii or yellow bhut, is there an easy way to distinguish the two? 

Same pod, different angle
20140429_184050_1.jpg

My growdown aji chuncho's are coming back nicely. Hopefully they start to really take off soon.
20140430_191357.jpg

20140430_191403.jpg

Black Hungarians are getting closer to being made into poppers
20140430_191529.jpg

SAFI red hab is starting to open some more flowers
20140430_191553.jpg

Purple flash is starting to get some variegation on the leaves. Looks like it'll be a real beautiful plant when it's all podded up, which means my wife will love it
20140430_191617.jpg

My first harvest!  :rofl:   Fatalii and a couple ripe Chinese 5 colours
20140430_194127_LLS.jpg

Looking great!  For your tomatoes, what size of a bag are those in?  Are they just the shopping bags that you would get at the store, or are they larger than that?  I have had issues with my tomatoes as the soil carries lots of fungus and other issues...  I am thinking maybe a potted tomato would do me good, if the bag to put it in doesn't have to be too large!

ivplay said:
Looking great!  For your tomatoes, what size of a bag are those in?  Are they just the shopping bags that you would get at the store, or are they larger than that?  I have had issues with my tomatoes as the soil carries lots of fungus and other issues...  I am thinking maybe a potted tomato would do me good, if the bag to put it in doesn't have to be too large!
Thanks ivplay! I've got 2 different one's that I'm using for the tomatoes. The black ones are the eco friendly reusable bags from my local Dollar General, and the grey ones are proper root pouches I ordered online. The dollar store bags are close to an actual 5 gallon pot, while the online bags are 5 trade gallons, which makes them a bit smaller. I may end up putting them all in the bigger bags to give them a little extra room for roots.

Back