• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

He`s settled in so well today, not chasing the animals & the other two dogs have accepted him right away.

He was full of fleas, ticks & worms (just the worms to sort out) we washed him this morning as he was filthy.

Mezo.

See my suggestions in the other thread mezzo for a name.
Personally I like "Pod" or "Ghost" ( a good sheep/cattle dog needs to be like a ghost at times) .. both single syllables as well

very nice dog. Did you rescue him? I like the different colors of his fur. He looks youngish too. As to a single syllable name, I would suggest something, like you said, that is short, sharp, & easy for you to voaclize that he will hear when he's way out on the pasture being a farm dog.

Haa, rescued him.

Well most people would say that i rescued him but not the farmer who i got him off, farmers dont treat there dogs as pets like most people do. They dont get patted or stroked or fussed over, they eat minimal food to keep them lean & hungry.

You can tell he`s never been stroked or patted its all new to him as was sleeping indoors on something soft, i kicked a ball for the other dogs & they took of chasing it, Buddy sat there looking at the ball? WTF? he`s never seen one before let alone played with one.

He`s about three months going of four (ill have to check the real date) and the farmers dont actually call the dogs by name when there rounding the cattle its done by whistles mainly, i watch his dad all the time working & boy is he good, i watch Brian sitting in his truck & he wistles the dogs through rivers out of sight & then few minutes later theres a stampede of cattle coming back.

Just been watching him trying to take a crap whilst im typing, poor little bugger struggled to snap it off, i had to get a stick to poke it off for him, :lol: and when i checked it out its full of worms so ill start his worming treatment today, give him a week & ill have him sorted.

Theres is a very high chance also he will outlive me, but Trish & Danny will take care of him if i die before him.

Mezo.

Glad to see things back on the up and up. I feel you on the aphids. They are killing my crop. Had some out to harden. Put them back in and infested my aerogarden. That's the whole point of aeros. To grow without bugs. That it nice use of billboard.

They are focused on the young plants (the new growth) even them tiny two day old seedlings have aphids on them?
I cant spray them as there way to young so i have to just use my watchmakers flat screwdriver & flick them off for now.

Ive decided on Buddy as a name for the puppy, watching him eat i should have called him Dyson or Hoover !!
I gave him a whole roast chicken this morning, no chewing he just inhaled the thing, not a scrap left.

Mezo.

Nice pup :)
He has some serious rotti colours. You'll want to get on training him because if a dog gets to be about 18 months with a bad habit its really hard to get them out of it. `Old dog new tricks` Although collies are very very smart and kelpies are very attentive so don't think you'll have problems. I used to deal with a lot of puppies, so I've given the new owner advice talk a million times. You aren't supposed to give dogs cooked chicken or poultry bones because they can splinter and perforate the intestines and other stuff. Vets have to do a lot of operations because of dogs eating chicken bones. Unless its cooked so much the bones go all rubbery. Raw bones are better, and beef bones and knuckles are best, they clean the dogs teeth when they are gnawing on them.

Six years of picking up puppy crap and I DON'T miss it! Had to help with my fair share of spaghetti poo tails too! Drove me crazy to see some of the conditions that well known registered breeders kept their dogs in. They may have loved dogs at the start but when it becomes a business they start treating them like products and not living things. I suppose farmers can be like that too, the dog is just another tool. Really don't miss it.

Not all farmers. My old man has been a sheep and beef farmer for over 45 years and he loves his working dogs and treats them like part of the family. Sad to think that others don't show the same respect sometimes. Although some people don't understand you have to keep working dogs in a leaner state or they lose fitness and get injured easily on the steeper country.

I read the wiki page, after what you posted ystrdy, on Kelpies and you are exactly right. They are excellent farm dogs and earn their keep 10X over. As you said it will be like heaven for him at your place & you will have a committed friend for a long time.

Nah he wont eat the plants, and as for snakes, well i was fixing the water pump yesterday down by the creek, Trish says "oh look a tree snake is swimming by you" then she says "uh ohh, hang on thats a Tiger Mez" didnt even know land snakes could swim. LoL

So yesterday i got ten more big pots, another bag of potting mix & a bag of blood n bone compost to rejuvinate the old potting mix ive been saving from the plants that died, talking of death,,,i baited round the place two weeks ago for rats & mice and one has decided to die somewhere in the tent (under a pallet or something?) its stinks in there.

Mezo.

Australian sheep dogs & abandoned sheep in Germany; http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/13/15142960-lamb-raised-by-shepherd-after-its-mothers-death?lite

Im still here just real busy fixing a neighbours quad bike (again) then ive got another one to fix from another neighbour, wish i had not mentioned i can fix stuff now as its taking up whey to much of my time.

When i get some time ill take some shots but to be honest there`s not much to see, Gas is months ahead of me in the podage department, ive got one or two here and there (very small) but nothing worth taking a pic of just yet.

Mezo.

OK, i was just giving the plants a drink before i get back to the quad bike & i found a half ripe Douglah.

Douglah1.jpg

Then i was looking at the "7P Brown" & still thinking it doesn't look right, then i noticed spikes on the stem?? is this right?

7PodBrown2.jpg

7PodBrown3.jpg

And some random shots of the jungle, ive moved most of the hab`s out & this is mainly superhots.

tentgrow22.jpg

tentgrow23.jpg

tentgrow24.jpg

tentgrow25.jpg

tentgrow26.jpg

tentgrow27.jpg

Right back to work.

Mez.

Thanks Mez! What about Buddy? Did I send you 7p Brown seeds? That thing is not a chilli... If it was me can you let me know. I just started the 7 brown seeds and im going to bin them if im your source.

Nope these seeds came from Judy in August (just checked i had got them through her) and this was the only one that germinated, i may,,,possibly have one more amongst the seedlings if it didn't die on me ill check later.

But from the offset i thought it looked very odd & then spikes on the stem?? LoL

Mezo.

Wow Meeez.... Despite all the problems you've had there, your plants are looking amazing.

Cheers Nee, im still battling aphids every single day & spraying them with soapy water.

Right, now i really really have to do some work.

Mezo.

Back