• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Here is the Vid from last night (Dont mind the shakiness and focus issues....I was a lil :drunk: cuz of TD day, and am still figuring out how to use the video on my dSLR)...
So glad you turned it around! I am in the same boat...and actually had to raise the lights tonight, but not because I thought they were roasting, instead because they've grown so much a couple were almost touching them! It is a great feeling. The wife keeps asking me how long I can just stand there and stare at them...not long enough is always my answer.

Happy for you brother!
Shane

Thanks Shane, I have figured out that it is really all about how they act. The purple is prominently on the cotys, but the true leaves seem to be clean. Also, it is pretty interesting that only some varieties are showing purple, even though the light has been level. I think some are just susceptible to it and some aren't. Also, I almost fell out of my chair with that staring comment. I feel the exact same way. Sometimes when it is late at night and the wife is asleep on the couch, I go in there with a beer or 3 and show them pictures of all of yours and the other growers plants and give them a lil "pep-talk". Get it "pep"...ha....ha.....ha........

sweet, they look great.. glad everything is working out for you, I think I am going to use of what I have left of the Hoffman's this year and then do Promix next year.. the Hoffmans is working for me for the most part this year, but the growth is just really slow it seems once they sprout.. and I'm not sure why.. although the top watering is helping out now
I definitely think that top watering is the way to go. I know a lot of folks swear by the bottom watering, but I think that with a fine mix like Hoffman's, it worked better for me to water from the top. I am curious to see how the few in the Hoffman's cups compare to the ones in the Promix cups.

That is awesome turn around Matt they look great and happy.

Thanks! It is nice for once going in there looking for the new growth instead going in there looking for which ones died...

Lookin good my friend!!! Glad things are going well for ya now!!! Wont be long till your munchin on some peppers at this rate! :)

Hellz yea! Me an you both. Yours look pretty damn amazing. Hopefully in a month or so I can have a vid where they are in pots and not cups like yours.

Very proud of you young man, this thread is more important then the the glogs that are with plants that are perfect and lush, anyone visiting here will see the trials and tribulations that come with first time grow and learn much, but overall they will see that perseverance is the key to success. You posted the good and the bad which is awesome and now others will take away from this a never give up attitude.

Great come back and wish you nothing but good on this years grow season!

Cheers, -Jeff

I really appreciate it Jeff. It is nice to have a place where everyone can come together to help one another. The knowledge here is endless and I always say, it is early in my growing "career" so mistakes and kinks are all part of the learning curve. I can't wait to go in there each day to see how things are changing. I am happy if I can help just one person out there looking to make a change or fix something. Thanks again for everything!

Thanks everyone for the comments and hopefully I can continue to post positive updates like this one!

Oh one more thing....

8 PAGES BABY! Standby Brandon...Im comin for ya!

Thanks Shane, I have figured out that it is really all about how they act. The purple is prominently on the cotys, but the true leaves seem to be clean. Also, it is pretty interesting that only some varieties are showing purple, even though the light has been level. I think some are just susceptible to it and some aren't. Also, I almost fell out of my chair with that staring comment. I feel the exact same way. Sometimes when it is late at night and the wife is asleep on the couch, I go in there with a beer or 3 and show them pictures of all of yours and the other growers plants and give them a lil "pep-talk". Get it "pep"...ha....ha.....ha........

8 PAGES BABY! Standby Brandon...Im comin for ya!
I think I'm on 11 or 12 lol...When I'm not talking to my plants I'm blabbing on here. Another wife comment *nagging voice* "from you plants to the computer from your computer to your plants!" Keep it up!!!

NIce to see the turn around . Your plants really healthy now :dance:

I would wait a little while longer to pot them babies up. If you can get a nice root ball before transplant it will make it much easier on ya. :halo:

I was scrolling on your thread and saw BABY in bold letters! I know you have a Chile Child outbound, so was thinking something else...

Nice work on the turnaround, and the video to doc it. Looks like you are well on the way to excellent growing on your terms. When it is all dialed, you will know it. With your nice lighting and other gear, it will be top notch.

For pot up, I have become a full blown leaf-growing fool. I would like the plant to max out whatever container it is in before moving it. I have the time, I'm willing to do little incremental pot ups, roughly doubling in size each step. Having said that, it is important to make sure the plant is happy in there--and your point about top watering is interesting. There have to be benefits of at least occasionally watering from the top, rinsing any salt buildups and injecting more oxygen. So I have increased moisture from above, but primarily sticking with bottom feedlings--because it is working pretty well for me.

By the way, good luck on the AFRICAN THROWDOWN. You threw down a great recipe--I love Ethiopian food. I'm already gnashing my teeth choosing between you and Ela's Doro Wat. (hey, you "growers", time to check out what the "cookers" are doing: MGold's entry into Africa)

I'm loving the videos, MGold! It's my first year growing peppers from seed as well, and I'm learning a lot from watching your process.

To respond to your poll:
I pot up based on the roots. In my case, when my fastest growing seedling had roots coming out of it's peat pot, I potted up almost everything. I am also very impatient, and I probably potted up earlier than necessary, but my plants seem to like their new homes.

Interesting about the Hoffmans vs Promix thing. Thanks for continuing to compare the two, as I may being trying one of those in next season. I'm using Kellogg's Patio Plus currently: so far so good.

Keep up the good work!

go in there with a beer or 3 and show them pictures of all of yours and the other growers plants and give them a lil "pep-talk". Get it "pep"...ha....ha.....ha........
Now THATS funny.....course when they get bigger, they might just runaway to California!

:rofl:

Oh that's some funny stuff shit right there.

Matt, I'm helpin you catch up as we speak! That's just the kinda guy I am :lol:

You know.. I could start a bunch of cloning experiments and start asking a buncha questions and watch my page count go into overdrive but NOPE. I'm gonna keep it clean! lol.

Jokes aside. Your starts are lookin money dude. Glad things are starting to roll in the right direction for ya! Your plants that you repotted into promix look like my jacked up plants right after I repotted with new soil.. Coming back nicely! I might need to try those maui purps next year.. Every picture I've seen of them on your and other glogs make me want one lol. Hope all is well with you and the fam dude!

Brandon

You know.. I could start a bunch of cloning experiments and start asking a buncha questions and watch my page count go into overdrive but NOPE.

That's it!!! Now I'm helping too!!! Just for the record, I'm not cloning(yet)...I'm grafting!

Now I feel guilty and will have to go make a post on Brandon's Glog too...so what is the bet? Most pages, views, comments??? For the right price I could be persueded to tilt the scale in one direction or the other... :whistle:

Matt, your grow log is great- the video is way cool (BTW I transplant
when I see roots coming out the drain holes in the pots) and a
nice personal touch. Your seedlings really look good - You should
have a great season ahead! Looking forward to lots more from
your neck of the woods.

There have to be benefits of at least occasionally watering from the top, rinsing any salt buildups and injecting more oxygen. So I have increased moisture from above, but primarily sticking with bottom feedlings--because it is working pretty well for me.

I have waffled on that one. My compromise has been
to bottom water except for when fertilizing, then water from
the top to wet all the soil with the fertilizer.

That's it!!! Now I'm helping too!!! Just for the record, I'm not cloning(yet)...I'm grafting!
Oh, my, what a fine line we draw :D your day will come
Now I feel guilty and will have to go make a post on Brandon's Glog too...so what is the bet? Most pages, views, comments??? For the right price I could be persueded to tilt the scale in one direction or the other... :whistle:

I wish I could be more helpful :rofl: My system for visiting grow logs is to go
to the bottom of the first page in the forum, and just start visiting grow
logs until i've done the whole first page. I can't think of any other way to
do justice to all the great stuff on here and avoid feeling guilty. Without
spending 5 hours a day browsing. Wait, I already spend 5 hours a day :eek:
I could focus my attention if anyone needs a favor :lol:

....My system for visiting grow logs is to go
to the bottom of the first page in the forum, and just start visiting grow
logs until i've done the whole first page. I can't think of any other way to
do justice to all the great stuff on here and avoid feeling guilty. Without
spending 5 hours a day browsing....

I am overwhelmed by GLOGdom, but it is great! I try to check all the regional (northern tier) GLOGs, but the most amazing plants usually grown down south. MGold, your GLOG posts are like gold, trying different stuff, reporting results and usually damn funny about it!

Also, Good luck for your recipe in the overtime African Throwdown! Just an hour to go! Man, it's going down to the wire!

Final Vote MGold vs Sum

Also best wishes going forward for your family! You da Man.... :cool:

Matt, just watched your video on the Aji Yellow. Very cool. I was on the fence about this one but what you said is so true about the 80/83 superhots you can't eat. Anyway, I had been wondering about the flavor, and the were/are some of my most vigorous plants so far. Good to know in the end they make some nice everyday peppers!

Sorry I missed that review for so long, don't usually watch videos on the computer since the kid really limits focus. Although I will say the only pepper reviews I have watched have been yours and are always really well crafted, unlike this sentence.

Chili cheers,
Squatch

Whats up everyone, sorry it has been a while since I have done an update. I just had my first child, a son, Cole, and have been pretty busy tending to all things newborn. I managed to make it out of the hospital half way through to go "shower and clean up" (water and feed the plants), so everything is looking super freaking good.

First off, thanks for all the comments and I appreciate all the support I got in the TD Showdown. Too bad I didn't post a W, but it was fun nonetheless. I didn't snap enough photos, and the ones I did snap didn't come out as I had hoped. So I will take a few photos tomorrow and post em. I am uploading a video now to MyTube and it covers everything for all ya non-reading dudes. But here is what I have up and healthy:

cee94ea8.jpg

The move to Promix is without a doubt a great decision. EVERYTHING is growing. Not most, EVERYTHING. The only things that have died since has been a Red Savina and a 7 White because I let them dry out. I am about to pot up almost everything and the only ones that I will leave behind will be some of the new starts that don't have the root development that I would like.

I got my ferts in last week as well. I have decided this time around to go with Pro-Grow, Cal-Mag, and Superthrive. I will supplement with epsom salts as needed, however, I kinda fried a few leaves with it last time so I am gonna use it sparingly. I diluted the ferts to 1/4 strength and plan on using them every other feeding. I have only given them 2 feedings and I can see a difference. A lot of the leaves are turning dark green, the mangled growth from some of the old plants has stopped and new growth is coming in great, and I can just tell that everything is happier.

Here is an example:
Naga Morich Last Week;
c98e8207-1.jpg

Naga Morich Today:
84eab0ac.jpg

6014d0fd.jpg

I ordered the ferts from eBay and I got 1 qt of the progro and it came in 8oz bottles. Nothing too bad, but kind of annoying. To make up for it they sent some "Sweet" and "Clearex". I have no use for the Sweet, but the clearex sounds pretty interesting. Has anyone ever used it? It is supposed to break down any salts that have developed in the soil. May be something to give a shot....Lastly I started the 18/6 schedule tonight. I have been going 22/2 strong for a while, and think it is about time to give these guys some sleep.

Thanks for reading,

Matt

CONGRATULATIONS MATT!!!!! :flamethrower:WHHOOOT WOOT!!
"Lastly I started the 18/6 schedule tonight. I have been going 22/2 strong for a while, and think it is about time to give these guys some sleep"......as to schedule...hehe....considering what YOUR schedule is gonna be like now, you will be very in sync with BOTH your grows....LOL!

Congrats on the baby boy! That is awesome! I kinda figured if you were gone for a stretch, that was why. Kids change everything, enjoy the ride! :woohoo:

The plants are looking REALLY good. You might need a cape to keep up with the kid and the plants. That is going to be an almost superhuman feat! Good luck!

Chile cheers,
Seth

Congrats on that Dad thing Matt! You're a very lucky individual. Best wishes to all!

Glad to hear the plants are doing well too.

Back