• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mistakes made in 08

AlabamaJack said:
agree on the adiction...i check it in the middle of the night when I get up to let the dog out...(and myself)
my dog watches me read this forum then I take him out to
do his business and he comes back in and watches me read it more :lol:

What's with all the dogs? ;)

I really don't need another addiction. I was just going to grow some peppers. Just a few. No hobby. Really.

Bugger. :lol:

Yeah. Who needs facebloke and myspaice when you have this really cool forum. I cna't get anything done because I'm always reading the posts. Hopefully I can finally get some planting done in the next couple days.

rainbowberry said:
My dog tries to sit on my lap when I'm on here and he's a big heavy, clumsy thing.

Clumsy heavy things aside, a lucky dog nontheless...and with obvious good taste. ;)

Thank you Quadshotz, he thinks he's that lucky that often he lets rip from his back end when he jumps up, males eh? Then he looks at his bum then at me as if to say "It weren't me."

rainbowberry said:
Then he looks at his bum then at me as if to say "It weren't me."
My old dog, Dragon, used to do that. But he would look at his bum as if to say, "What the hell was that? That came out of me?"

Did that almost every time.

Philipperv said:
Dog? Taste? UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....:P

What's funny is I read the last post being you, then I started reading down about the dogs and had a funny feeling that might have been your response!:lol::lol:

imaguitargod said:
My old dog, Dragon, used to do that. But he would look at his bum as if to say, "What the hell was that? That came out of me?"

Did that almost every time.

My mother-in-laws dog does that. It's actually pretty amusing to see the look of shock on there face!!:shocked::lol:

Biggest mistake so far is going out and buy expensive terracotta pots, when I had 50 five gallon plastic pots in the shed somewhere. :oops:

I have used a few of these, and can confirm that they keep water way better/longer than the terracotta ones. The top soil is still moist after 3 days of 25°C/full sunshine, whilst the other ones look completely dried out/cracked. I guess that tempts people into overwatering their peppers.

Yes, but which is better for growth and health? Watering just every 3 días in plastic, or watering every día in the terracotta?
I know plants like fresh water.

The goal is always to develop a large, strong root system. If the plant learns to seek moisture, the roots will grow. If the moisture comes to them, they will not grow as quickly.

MIke

wordwiz said:
The goal is always to develop a large, strong root system. If the plant learns to seek moisture, the roots will grow. If the moisture comes to them, they will not grow as quickly.

MIke

I tried to say the same thing, but when I typed it out, it came out all wrong so I didn't post it. Thanks wordwiz, that was exactly what I was thinking.

my 2008 pepper mistakes

mainly i left alot the plants in 1"x1" containers for about 2 months so they were all root bound and still are only 2-4 inches tall......

imaguitargod said:
I tried to say the same thing, but when I typed it out, it came out all wrong so I didn't post it. Thanks wordwiz, that was exactly what I was thinking.

I think you two just answered my question in my Growth Spurt post. I should continue to water every few days and not overreact to the growth spurt and water every day.

PP,

It's one thing to have a great root ball, it's a different story to be root bound.

Move them to a larger container, maybe a 3x3. Then again, I raised several peppers in a 1 inch space (a 256 cell container) that was about 2 inches deep. The plants were rootbound and short, but they survived transplantation to a 4-gallon container.

Mike

Ya, root bond, not good at all. The plant starts to strangle itself at that point........takes a while to recover from it (if they ever do).

Take a knife and slit down the sides of the rootball. An old Indian (native american) taught me this when planting his store bought seedlings.

Back