• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mistakes made in 08

rainbowberry said:
Yeah really :oops: I don't know what happened to it. It was a Hot Pepper Tree (PI 267729). I only add the varieties to my growing list when they are developed enough so I know they won't die on me, but this seedling just, *poof* disappeared. I reckon someone knocked it off the windowsill by mistake and thought "Oh well there's so many she won't notice". Well I did notice.

* Bad, bad person if that was the case *
I like your reaction. :lol:

I didn't provide enough wind for my plants. on this Chilhacle.
Leaf Curl and slow death of leaf tips only on the older leaves.
It's ok now though.
pic.php

Well, I guess this topic is a good one to start for me. Hi folks, I'm in to my first year of trying to grow chilis from seeds, and stumbled upon this site in search of recipes (in case the plants actually ever produce anything...)

I think I did some things right, but that was purely by accident. I've read through a few threads already about too much water/too much light/wrong soil, ho hum.

I ordered seeds online (one store in the US, the other in the UK) to have as much variety as I could. I expected nothing, just wanted to see if we could get it growing here at all.

Some of the varieties I ordered were Pequin, Orange Habanero, Jalapeno, Twilight (just because it looks nice), Carribean Hot and Hungarian Wax. I also planted a few seeds from a friend in Tuscany (normal pepperoncini).

We used a plastic box to start with (with a cover) and this was done in several stages. The last seedlings that look like they can be potted are the Pequins (who took a lot longer to germinate)

The idea was that most seeds woulndn't germinate at all, so I put 4 in every partition. Big mistake, as all the seeds germinated.

chiligrowing1.jpg

The other varieties went a bit quicker, and were put outside once I was sure there would be no more frost, like this:

chiligrowing2.jpg

Somehow, I did label them!

I first put them into small pots (most of them anyway) because I thought they would not survive the rather unpredictable Belgian weather, but oddly enough, most of them did. That is, the ones that don't get eaten by snails (my current "enemy").

This is how most plants look now, and I suppose they don't look unhealthy, but may not have enough time to actually produce flowers/pods. We'll see.

chiligrowing3.jpg

Close up (today):

chiligrowing4.jpg

The ones that do survive will be put in larger pots this week. I don't expect a great produce, but it would be nice if I can make my chili con carne with home grown chilis this year.

I'll now go back to reading ... there's always 2009!

Welcome Wide-O :) your plants look very healthy. Is the weather in Belgium worse than the UK? (sorry my geography's crap so my climate knowledge for a country will be even worse). I live in England that's why I'm asking about the unpredictable weather.

Hey Wide-O,

Nice plants, good luck this year! This is my first year from seeds too. There are lots of us 'newbies' here and luckily lots of really great chile growers.

You are in good company!

JJBagoose said:
Hey Wide-O,
There are lots of us 'newbies' here and luckily lots of really great chile growers.

Probably more first-timers (from seeds) than veterans.

After sowing, germinating and caring for the seedlings (and learning about lights, mites, aphids, bottom-watering and a dozen other things) it's almost anticlimatic to transplant them to containers and move them outside.

Mike

This is my first year of starting peppers from seed, after most of the day planting I can tell I planted too many...haha is such a thing possible? I have too many mystery ones cuz somebody moved the outer cups or somehow lost the labels but surprises are nice, not going to worry about it. Started too early for a lot of them but it'll be ok. I expect to be swamped with peppers, this is a nice problem to have.

Jackie

my first year from seed too...

pf...I was going to limit to 200 this year but I ended up with 327 peppers (383 total plants)...how'd that happen?...could have something to do with the 808 seeds I started...

Wide-O, first of all welcome from the USA.
You have quite a few plants in those pots, you might want to thin those out to one per pot before the roots get tangled up you will not enjoy the process of untangling them. beautiful plants by the way.

Dale

Well so far I haven't mis-stepped but the weather has been brutal. I gave up on the garden, too cold too late, and now too wet for most of it. I did manage to plant 4 jalapeno's on the high side of the garden but we'll see how it goes. The rest of the garden got a layer of weed block put down on it.

So pots it is for this season. I mix regular hyponex potting soil with vermiculite and organic fertilizer. 70/30/5 respectively. The fertilizer is a fish/seaweed pellet variety, all organic. 4-6-6.

Normally I can plant 65 plants in the garden plus the hydro. This year I took the best plants and ended up with the following.

-5 pots of red savina
-5 pots of choc habs
-5 jolokia in the hydro
-2 chinese multi-color in dwc hydro
-3 pots of riot. (ornamental)
-2 pots thai dragon
-4 jalapeno's in the garden.

So 26 hopefuls in all, we shall see what happens. We still only have had 2 days that have broke 80f and rain is forecast for 7 out of the next 10 days. :(

Paul,

Yep, they said tonight we are up 10.5 inches of rain above the average for the year. Having six inches fall last week didn't help much.

Averages are averages, though, and they tend to equal out over the year. A long, dty summer ahead?

Mike

I think I did pretty good overall. Little to much watering and planting to many and not having enough room. Next year I take the peppers I like the best and stay true to a few and yes probaly grow some others with new taste. Its hard to tell I have been making my hot sauce with dried nagas and making it stronger and stronger every batch so by the time mine gets here (I hope) I be ready for the full dose lool roflho But just not enough room but I picked up another 8 foot by 10 foot so look out lol

wordwiz said:
Paul,

Yep, they said tonight we are up 10.5 inches of rain above the average for the year. Having six inches fall last week didn't help much.

Averages are averages, though, and they tend to equal out over the year. A long, dty summer ahead?

Mike

Wouldn't surprise me, still had to go with the pots though. Transplanting later than now would be a waste, not enough time in the ground unless it's a short season such as the jalapenos.

*edit*
fricken just started raining as I typed this, no love in MN this year.

Thanks for the welcome all.

rainbowberry said:
Is the weather in Belgium worse than the UK?

I think on average it will be slightly better in Belgium, but just as unpredictable. Of course, the climate in Southampton is differrent from say Glasgow, just as where I live winters are colder (on average) and summers warmer (again, on average).

We had peppers last year, but those were from plants we bought. They were put outside as well, and had a lot more produce than we ever expected.

thepodpiper said:
You have quite a few plants in those pots, you might want to thin those out to one per pot before the roots get tangled up you will not enjoy the process of untangling them.

That's one of the reasons why my first post was in this mistake thread. :oops: I will split them up (and hope it's still possible). I suppose they'll starve each other out when I don't?

This is not my first year growing peppers,but it is my first year growing them from seeds. My biggest mistake that I made was assuming that regular potting soil was good enough to start germinating seeds in. I only had two plants pop up that way and oddly over a month later I had a two more pop,a bhut jalokia,and an orange lantern pop out of that as well. That really set me behind. To get the other plants that I wanted I did the paper towel method and as soon as a root barely started to pop I buried them 1/4 inch in damp seed starting soil and kept it covered with a clear top. I got about a 98% germination rate that way. Much better than using to dense of a soil. I almost killed all of my first bloomers by putting them in my mother-in-laws sunroom that wasn't heated. I figured I wasn't going to be home for the weekend and it would be ok to bring them there and put them in a south facing window. They liked the light, but it frosted that night. I found all of my plants flat in the dirt, limp as a noodle and I thought they were gonners. I made an improvised support with paper clips so they could support themselves facing the light. It worked on all of them except one. They perked back up thankfully. Now for more problems.............I'm sure I'll run into them. They made it this far though. I'll keep them coming along. I think the biggest thing is to monitor them on a regular basis and fix the problems ASAP.

This may be one of the best threads I have ever read here. I don't even know what mistakes I am making yet. I know that I am a compete newbie to planting and I'm sure I am making mistakes, but I don't even know what I'm doing wrong yet. I have had a little help from some of the good folks here (thanks AJ and IGG) and my plants seem to be doing really well so far. I will keep you posted. There is one thing though. I started finding these little holes in some of the leaves. I finally found the culprit and it is a tiny little red spider looking thing. When I say tiny I mean so small you need to be within a foot or so of the plant to see them. Anyone know what this might be? I have sprayed with a bug killer for vegetables and that seems to help for a little while, but they keep coming back.

JayT said:
This may be one of the best threads I have ever read here. I don't even know what mistakes I am making yet. I know that I am a compete newbie to planting and I'm sure I am making mistakes, but I don't even know what I'm doing wrong yet. I have had a little help from some of the good folks here (thanks AJ and IGG) and my plants seem to be doing really well so far. I will keep you posted. There is one thing though. I started finding these little holes in some of the leaves. I finally found the culprit and it is a tiny little red spider looking thing. When I say tiny I mean so small you need to be within a foot or so of the plant to see them. Anyone know what this might be? I have sprayed with a bug killer for vegetables and that seems to help for a little while, but they keep coming back.

sounds like red mites but I would need to see a pic to be sure

Thanks guys, that does look like the little b@$t@rds. I will try spraying the underside of the leaves a little more thoroughly. I have just been spraying from above so far. Will they kill my plants if I can't eliminate them?

if you don't rid yourself of them, the plant may not die but it will be severely stunted...IMO

Back