• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mmmmmm...poppers!

Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch in Las Vegas. I was going to grill today but ahhh...a little too hot once again. Maybe tomorrow will be more appropos. My gal had bought some very nice ground beef to make some sliders but she changed her mind as usual and opted instead for spinach/cheese ravioli with garlic cream sauce instead. Of course I was enlisted to do the cooking. So what to do with the ground beef? I have peppers. I have cheese. Duh..como se dice en espanol....poppers!!
Ground beef, japs, 4 cheese Mexi mix, shallots, Lawry's and fresh ground pepper. Here tis. Notice the melon ball tool I use to deseed. Works perfect.
0020.jpg

The mix.
0021.jpg

Stuffed.
0022.jpg

0029.jpg

Have a great holiday ya'll....and cheers!!! Texas Bluesman

sicman said:
lots of sicmix/spices/herb/and magical unicorn dust.

Purrrrrdy poppers there, sic!

But you know what I really want to see? The dehydrator you put that unicorn into so you could make magical dust!
I keep trying to nab Tinkerbell's wand, but that d@$n fairy won't hold still long enough!

sicman said:
the two on the left have krab and all kinds of cheese. the one on the right is stuffed with sausage and all kinds of cheese. lots of sicmix/spices/herb/and magical unicorn dust.

these jalos are big these are halfs and 3 of them was a full meal.

Dam ....sausage and sea food, can't beat that combo.........and the illustration on that plate reminds me of a " paisley print " shirt that I wore in the 70's.......(exhale) 

Completely random stuff, and by no means td practice. I wanted a bruschetta but i didn't had bread...

ikByG5w38Xgmi.jpg

iFKxDRhQgVAEc.jpg

I marinated a bit chopped garlic, shallot and fennel leaves in evo, salt, white pepper and my piripiri moruga sauce,
I cut and deseeded a bell pepper, filled with the marinade and mozz, topped with tomato slices.
Put in oven at 200°C. After 20 mins i realized i could use some grated bread and a spice mixture i have. Cooked other 30 mins at 200°C.

Thanks LD!
I've had again for dinner:

i1wgWU5UV9ZLD.jpg

ibmLeEYzFzLD5H.jpg

I made a quick pasta ragù with minced beef (slowly pan fry shallot, after a while add salt, pepper, garlic, my hot sauce, carrot, then meat and parsley, simmered with cabernet, then more parsley).
Then i added 5 types of cheese: unnamed young local, unnamed local mezzano, unnamed old local, some asiago and mozz.
On top spice powder (garlic and hot pepper) and grated bread.
30-35 mins at 200°C

I made venison sliders for dinner tonight (for the whole story, see the "burgers, hell yeah" thread). Such an epic main course needed an equally stellar side dish, so I selected the finest mustard habanero, "yellow scotch bonnet", NuMex Suave and red lunchbox pods I had on hand and made some poppers.

The filling consisted of goat cheese, diced sharp cheddar, crispy bacon and a little black pepper and thyme. The picture isn't blurry, you're just tearing up because they're so damned pretty.
IMG_0144_zps2dc4c4b1.jpg

I started a hot indirect fire on the Smokey Joe and threw on a big chunk of shagbark. The poppers took about a half hour to get all soft and melty and just a bit browned on the tops.
IMG_0160_zpsc148f2e4.jpg

Here's a shot of the whole mess plated up. The reason "yellow scotch bonnet" is in quotes above is because the one you see plated here was really a 7 pot. :fireball: That was a surprise. A little hotter than I would typically want for dinner, but damned tasty. I wouldn't mind making that mistake again.
IMG_0162_zps03720e4a.jpg

Kind of anticlimactic.......and no prep photos......but here are the poppers I made for my buddy Tim and the Daytona 500.....(did I mention that I hate NASCAR?)

Just your basic cream cheese and shredded cheddar....a bit of Biohazard and minced black olives.....and topped with more shredded cheddar. Nothing amazing....but I did the best with what he had on hand.  ;)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
NASCAR - Non. Athletic. Sport. Centered. Around. Rednecks.

Nice poppers!

Thanks!!

Seriously.....those assholes drove 500 miles.....and the person in 20th was 1.2 seconds behind the one that won the race.......

What the hell was the point of driving that damned far?

A drag race may have been a better choice. I want my 2 hours back.

Nice poppers and good bump to the thread.  Glad to hear you and Tim are still hanging together.  I watched the race.  The last 20 laps were good, the rest was for eating and drinking.  We had wings six ways, deer chili, cheeses, chips and salsa and a hot sauce bar.

JayT said:
Nice poppers and good bump to the thread.  Glad to hear you and Tim are still hanging together.  I watched the race.  The last 20 laps were good, the rest was for eating and drinking.  We had wings six ways, deer chili, cheeses, chips and salsa and a hot sauce bar.

WTF?!?!? ... I thought you were not posting because you were working ...

You cooked all the shit and didn't postie up? ... Boooo ...

grantmichaels said:

WTF?!?!? ... I thought you were not posting because you were working ...

You cooked all the shit and didn't postie up? ... Boooo ...
I was at a friend's house.  I brought the cheeses and the hot sauces.  He made the chili and the wings. 

Another ..bump..

I ate them all before I saw this post, but I'll have some more cooked up special for me this weekend and post a pic.  I'd never think of putting raw meat in the pepper before cooking, mainly because of the grease.  I like a little grease, but not a whole pepper full of it.

My 'LW' cooks the sausage first and mixes it with cream cheese prior to stuffing the jalepenos, then places in shallow tray with a little water and steams for about 15-20 minutes until tender.  Sometimes she melts some mozzarella (or cheddar) on top during the last 5 minutes.  Photo to follow in a few days...

Back