• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mooglog 2013/2014

The first round of seeds are soaked and sown. 
All chinenses to start off,  other species to start in a month or so.

7 Pot BrainStrain Red
7 Pot Burgundy
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Jonah (spiky)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot SR Red
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Yellow (different source)
Aji Panca
Antillais Caribbean
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant f3
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Bih Jolokia
Black Naga
CGN 21500
Datil
Devils Tongue Yellow
Dorset Naga
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Guadalupe Black
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Green
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach
Habanero Peruvian White
Habanero Purple
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion F4
Nagabon Jolokia
Pimenta De Neyde
Seasoning Pepper (thanks Micca :) )
Snow White
THSC Naga 7
THSC Red Savina
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad 7Pot Barrack Pore
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Wasp

Once they sprout they'll go into the new, bigger and hopefully better hydro system. 

Looking real good there Moo!

I'm hoping this season goes alright for me. I've already learned what not to do on one occasion that has wiped out almost all that I had =\

Hopefully next season is killer :D

Those seedlings are looking really good.

Looks like everything is coming along real nice there Moo  :cool:
With the spring like weather at the moment you can notice them getting bigger all the time.
Bring on the jungle!

Micca

You have some powerful sun in your latitude moo. Those Dorsets are pretty reliable for podding-up as well. You say you ordered those predatory mites yet? That might knock the pests back on their heels as it were :)

Sarge said:
Its a real advantage though, it took my plants quite some time to become big enough to go outside.
That's why I do it :)  I've tried starting in a soil based seedling mix and other methods and they were slower and caused too many problems.

Shurbryn said:
Looking real good there Moo!

I'm hoping this season goes alright for me. I've already learned what not to do on one occasion that has wiped out almost all that I had =\

Hopefully next season is killer :D

Those seedlings are looking really good.
Thanks.  It is a long learning curve and you have to have patience, which is hard because nowadays everyone is used to getting what they want instantly.  Short attention spans.

PeriPeri said:
Looking really awesome Moo... those seedlings are looking super happy!

Micca302 said:
Looks like everything is coming along real nice there Moo  :cool:
With the spring like weather at the moment you can notice them getting bigger all the time.
Bring on the jungle!

Micca
Cheers Micca.  Yeah the weather is being good at the moment.  Not too hot and sunny yet and no really destructive winds.  So far...

7potquezada said:
Great list. Quite an array of peppers you've got there.
Have a great grow.
Thanks for stopping by 7potquezada  :)  It is too many for my garden but can't help myself.  See the complete list below.

Dot Com said:
You have some powerful sun in your latitude moo. Those Dorsets are pretty reliable for podding-up as well. You say you ordered those predatory mites yet? That might knock the pests back on their heels as it were :)
It is very harsh.  Chilli plants can handle hot sun for the most part but not when its prolonged, heats up the roots and dries out the soil.  I haven't ordered the mites because the two affected plants have been dealt with.  One was small and sickly anyway and was thrown out and the other was pruned, sulphured and is showing positive new growth.  Going to hold off until I see new signs.

I've decided that everything that is going to sprout has sprouted so here is the finalised grow list for this season.

The chinenses.

These have at least one healthy plant in the ground.  Most have extras in pots.

7 Pot BrainStrain Red
7 Pot Burgundy
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Jonah (spiky)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot SR Red
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Yellow (different source)
Antillais Caribbean
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant f3
Bih Jolokia
Black Naga
CGN 21500
Dorset Naga
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Guadalupe Black
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Green
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach
Habanero Purple
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion F4
Nagabon Jolokia
Pimenta De Neyde
Seasoning Pepper
Snow White
THSC Naga 7
THSC Red Savina
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad 7Pot Barrack Pore
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise

These either didn't germinate or the seedlings didn't make it to the first pot up stage.

Aji Panca
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Datil
Devils Tongue Yellow
Habanero Peruvian White
Wasp

The Devils Tongue Yellow and Bahamian Goat were new this season but all the rest had very poor germination last season.

The non-chinenses.

These have at least one seedling in hydro world.

Aji Angelo
Aji Chuncho
Aji de Jardin
Aji Golden
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Baccio De Satana
Bali Long
BGH 460, Pi 441654
Big Jim
Black Cobra
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brigits Locato
Cayenne Red
CGN 21469
Chilaca Pasilla
Colombian Orange
Corno Di Torro Rossi
De Arbol
Earbob
Goatsweed
Jalapeno Giant
Jimmy Nardello
Kashmiri Mirch
Large Orange Thai
Manzano Amarillo
Maui Purple
Maule's Red Hot
Most Prolific
Paradeisfrüchtiger
Pimento de Padron
Piquillo
Piri Piri
Purira
Royal Black
Tabasco CGN21546 PI 586675
Takanotsume

These didn't germinate.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Amish Bush
Blondie
Brazillian Starfish
Bulgarian Carrot
Guampinha De Veado
Pitanga
Rocoto Manzano Orange
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Rocoto Turbo Pube
Wild Tepin

I expected better from this lot but I didn't use the heat mat.  Just had them sitting in a spot on a high shelf above a computer and av equipment that stays pretty warm. 

Don't know where I'm going to put all of them, but they will have to harden off when summer heat is kicking in so there may be some casualties. 

Thanks everyone for all the comments and views.  I'll take some pictures this weekend.  :hotsauce:  :whistle: 

7potquezada said:
Right on. Dont feel bad about the aji panca. I've heard aji's have a tendency to be pretty difficult to even start.
I've heard that Aji Panca in particular has a bad rep for germination.  I've gotten more seeds from a different source from a member on here but they'll have to wait for next season now.

PeriPeri said:
Holy smokes Moo... that is one hell of a list! NICE :D
Thanks.  Wish I had your space to plant it all out.  I put CHILLI FARM on my xmas list.

Took a lot of pictures because everything is going really well. :)

I mulched all the raised beds and you can already see a difference.  They no longer wilt on hot afternoons and everything is growing well.
gallery_3629_121_66424.jpg

gallery_3629_121_295969.jpg

The ones in the main bed are growing slower but they have a different soil makeup, I might have to supplement them with some ferts.

The hedge is really having a good time.
gallery_3629_121_550524.jpg

gallery_3629_121_229078.jpg

gallery_3629_121_346277.jpg

Well I went and did it again.  :doh:   After giving advice to people about loving their plants to death, I gave the potted plants some trace elements and some other things and overdosed them.  I think it was the fault of the nutes I used but whatever the reason all the potted plants went yellow and dropped a few leaves each.  I flushed them all out a day later and they seem to be alright.
gallery_3629_121_220805.jpg

gallery_3629_121_663355.jpg

Got the overwinters too but they have more soil to buffer them.  Also means more soil to flush.
gallery_3629_121_399940.jpg

The Yellow Moruga Scoprion (bottom right) is not the happiest of plants.  When I potted it up last year I couldn't be bothered mixing up a good soil mix and most of the pot is filled with standard potting mix from a bag.  It's very bushy and there are no flowers.  The stem is a mass of small leaves and its not branching out like a healthy plant will.  I think this is a symptom of "overwatering" or badly draining soil mix.  I had been watering all of these with well aerated water but its not enough to fix the problem.  I might try potting it up to a bigger pot and better mix and see what happens.

NOT Goatsweed is podding up and its top heavy, the wind is tossing it about in this photo.
gallery_3629_121_52150.jpg

Chilaca Pasilla overwinter has its first pod.
gallery_3629_121_72763.jpg

Bump for more pics :)

This.  What a great glog. Very envious of the space and set-up you have. 

Totally see what you mean now by the soil mix you are using - the 50/50 split with perlite.  I wasn't going to modify my soil and learn from the mistake, but this glog might have just inspired me to do some modifications next weekend. Awesome stuff man.

Rainman said:
This.  What a great glog. Very envious of the space and set-up you have. 

Totally see what you mean now by the soil mix you are using - the 50/50 split with perlite.  I wasn't going to modify my soil and learn from the mistake, but this glog might have just inspired me to do some modifications next weekend. Awesome stuff man.

Thanks Rainman. :) There's been a lot of fails for me to get things growing well.  Most of it is try something and see if it works.  If you want a lot of perlite cheap there is a place in Jandakot called the Perlite and Vermiculite factory.  It's about half the price of the same stuff at Bunnings.

More specifc pod pictures.

Doulgah in a pot.  You can already see the pinched end shape on the pod.  Definitely one of the hottest pods I have ever eaten.
gallery_3629_121_493457.jpg

One of the Douglahs in the ground is bigger and has just starting podding too.
gallery_3629_121_4394.jpg

Fatalii in a pot is doing really well.  The one in the ground was topped by a careless child.  I was almost going to switch the other in but its coming back.  Might pot this one up when I get a chance.
gallery_3629_121_406412.jpg

My Butch Ts are always slower to grow.  This one is just getting going.  The skirts are constricting the pods.  I leave them on for the strangled shapes.
gallery_3629_121_436843.jpg

Yellow 7Pot from brainstrain is showing its intentions early with the stinger.  I'm guessing the shoulders of the pod will bulk out when it gets bigger.
gallery_3629_121_30189.jpg

Gnarly looking Chocolate Fatalii pod. 
gallery_3629_121_47246.jpg

I call this the Dorset Naga Node of Glory. 
gallery_3629_121_375277.jpg

Black Naga baby
gallery_3629_121_140313.jpg

Nagabon.  I have been trying to grow this for 3 years but it's been a failure for one reason or another.  Finally! pods are forming. Nice stinger too. :D
gallery_3629_121_81504.jpg

7Pot Primo.  Although it wasn't the healthiest plant, last season the pods didn't look very Primo shaped.  Still too early to tell but I'm hoping these ones grow true.
gallery_3629_121_204178.jpg

but wait there's more...

Ok maybe I don't need a bump.  There must be a time limit.

This is a 7Pot Primo that is going all sunrise on me. 
gallery_3629_121_350819.jpg

A Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise that I have has as lot of pendant buds.... coincidence??  or maybe theres been a mix up.
There is a lot going on in this picture.  Sunrise pods where they shouldn't be.  A ladybug is chillin in a flower.  The leaf on the right that is bent over is typical of the damage being caused by some unknown pest - The vein under the leaf has been eaten away and the rest of the leaf then snaps and dies.  And I can't hold the camera level like we're at sea :P

7Pot Primo Orange.  I had previously posted pictures of two baby pods.  The branch they were on was snapped off by the the same careless child mentioned in previous posts. :(
You can see the stump of it.. the white thing centre of picture.  The plant has responded with some sideways growth.  Still going strong.
gallery_3629_121_386599.jpg

This is the 7Pot Jonah that had mites messing it up.  After a lot of sulphur and vicious pruning its got healthy new growth.  I'm hoping it stays this way and I won't have to get any predatory mites.  At least not yet anyway
gallery_3629_121_41954.jpg

7Pot Burgandy.  I sowed 8 seeds and only got one seedling.  It didn't look too healthy and after transplant struggled but now its found it stride and looks awesome!
gallery_3629_121_404183.jpg

Here is the 7Pot Brainstrain little baby pod I posted before.  My how you've grown!  Come here and give granny a big kiss on the lips :drooling:
gallery_3629_121_78097.jpg

and hes brought his friends. ;)
gallery_3629_121_165372.jpg

gallery_3629_121_201545.jpg

There are a lot more pods like this on the bush.

Also on Saturday I got me BIG pot out and made some Caribbean Hot Sauce. 
Mangoes, Pineapples, lots of good stuff.
gallery_3629_123_114542.jpg

gallery_3629_123_162913.jpg

gallery_3629_123_69250.jpg

Got 19 bottles and lots to spare.  I used one of those large bottles full of concentrated chilli puree I had made earlier as the chilli ingredient.  It was too much !
You taste really luscious fruitiness for about a second and then a sting settles onto your tongue, which builds and builds.  Becomes insanely hot.  Probably the hottest sauce I've ever made. 

They were supposed to be xmas presents for regular nonchilliheads but not sure now.  Will have to do an EXTREME HOT label.

I'm jealous of your plants, and pods... hehe

That sauce looks real nice. I wonder how it would go on ice cream seeing as it's so hot lol

Shurbryn said:
I'm jealous of your plants, and pods... hehe

That sauce looks real nice. I wonder how it would go on ice cream seeing as it's so hot lol
Thanks Shurybryn.  It definitely needs something that will dial it down or dilute it like cheese or ice cream.

Wow Moo! Speaking of hitting your stride! Everything looks great... even the mite-damaged plant now that you've rescued it. What was the puree you used as a sauce base?

Back