• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MORUGA WELDERS'S 2016 GROW

First babies to pop !  All happen to be Lucy 7's ,

IMG_0975.JPG

I work for a school district, we're in South Texas. I'm an IT director, but I have a blue collar background (25 years as an Auto Technician). So I share my garden overflow with the Custodians, and Maintenance personnel. They really appreciate the produce, and sauces, as they're not privy to all the goodies the teachers and admin get on a regular basis. Many are of Mexican heritage, I find it funny when they say "no mas, mucho caliente". But all of a sudden they're bringing me seeds from Mexico. Gotta love the pepper love ;)

tctenten said:
Purée are great and can be used a base for other sauces. Smoking the peppers before you process the purée just adds another level of flavor.

+1 on that! I grew some Butch T. Scorps a few years ago that had the unappetizing flavor of burnt plastic... really bitter, and romy6 suggested smoking them with cherry wood after seeding them, and then drying them for powder. It improved the flavor and aroma a lot!

stickman said:

+1 on that! I grew some Butch T. Scorps a few years ago that had the unappetizing flavor of burnt plastic... really bitter, and romy6 suggested smoking them with cherry wood after seeding them, and then drying them for powder. It improved the flavor and aroma a lot!
What kind of color did you end up with after smoking them w/cherry? I use oak & pecan and was always curious with cherry.

Wimpy69 said:
What kind of color did you end up with after smoking them w/cherry? I use oak & pecan and was always curious with cherry.

I cold-smoked them, so they didn't look that much darker. Sorry for the hijack Frank... back to scheduled programming. :P

stickman said:

I cold-smoked them, so they didn't look that much darker. Sorry for the hijack Frank... back to scheduled programming. :P

thats cool rick , i don't get anal about small stuff . life is  to short for that . my pops taught me to relax it'll be over before you know it and the little things that you fretted about meant nothing .  R.I.P. POPS !      :onfire:

Nice looking pods.  I would just like to have some ripe ones.  Mine are taking forever this year.  I saw a small spot of yellow on a brain strain tonight though, and its big gnarly looking one so hopefully within the week.   Keep up the good work.  Try to stay dry, not sure if you have been having all this rain, but its been brutal down here for the last week.  Seems like we get a good rain every day.

jcw10tc said:
Nice looking pods.  I would just like to have some ripe ones.  Mine are taking forever this year.  I saw a small spot of yellow on a brain strain tonight though, and its big gnarly looking one so hopefully within the week.   Keep up the good work.  Try to stay dry, not sure if you have been having all this rain, but its been brutal down here for the last week.  Seems like we get a good rain every day.

oh yes were getting it and the humidity , it sucks ! not good on the small pods nor the bigger ones for that much . hoping it will straighten out for the home stretch !   

Back