• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My 2010 First Ever Chilli Grow

Looks like you have a real good mix. Can't wait to see them as they come to maturity. The Big Jim produced a pepper rather quickly and the Hab's look extremely healthy.

Thanks for the comment. I have tried to get a mix of many different types just to try them out, as I'm a chilli growing and eating newbie. For the next season I am already planning to plant a larger volume of the good ones and lesser variety.

I know that most of my plants, including the Big Jim with it's one pod, are in small pots and this will limit their size but I have been too busy to pot up. Also I will be moving house in a few weeks and so don't want extra weight to lug around, and I obviously can't put them in the ground. I have another Big Jim plant that was started at the same time. It's in a much bigger pot with much better structured soil and is well mulched, and is in the back garden as opposed to the front where it is better sheltered. I will take a picture and show them side by side, there is a huge size difference.

On another note, ever since I have gotten into chilli spiced food again I am really starting to like the burning feeling in the mouth. I've been putting things like Jolokia sauce and sweet chilli sauce and Harissa paste and hot paprika powder on every kind of food I can, and despite the pain I'm starting to really crave it. This must be the endorphin rush thing I've read about?

This is the hab pod and its completely orange now. It is a bit lighter orange than I've seen but it was bought as a seedling from a hardware store :P
pods003.jpg

I have a question on ripening for all the experienced growers. Is it ripe now that it has no green colour or will it darken colour a bit? I basically want to know if I should pick it at this stage or can I leave it on the plant and wait for all the other pods to ripen? If I leave it on there will the flavour and heat develop or degrade??

Yes.. Newbie here.

This is the hab pod and its completely orange now. It is a bit lighter orange than I've seen but it was bought as a seedling from a hardware store :P
pods003.jpg

I have a question on ripening for all the experienced growers. Is it ripe now that it has no green colour or will it darken colour a bit? I basically want to know if I should pick it at this stage or can I leave it on the plant and wait for all the other pods to ripen? If I leave it on there will the flavour and heat develop or degrade??

Yes.. Newbie here.

That pod will probably turn a darker shade of orange given more time. My pods last season changed from a similar colour to a more recognisable orange. The flavour will probably develop further if you resist the temptation to eat it.

Do you plan on keeping the seeds?

I will have a go at saving the seeds, never done that before. I'm hoping they are pure but I did have a chocolate capsicum flowering at the same time about 5 metres away. There is a chance of cross pollination. I will resist temptation for as long as I can...

Ok I'm feeling in a posting mood tonight so here are some more pics

Compare these Big Jim plants. Both planted at the same time.
Poddage020.jpg

pods015.jpg

Check out the little white tags to get an idea of scale.
The huge one started smaller! I think mulch really helps the soil/root temperature stay low and prevents it from drying out. Will be doing this for every big pot in the future!

My back yard raised bed. This was taken after a nasty hot dry day and the plants are really feeling it. Lucky they have shade cloth. Note the toddler proof wire fence.
pods017.jpg

Black Pearl
pods007.jpg

I'm a first year grower too and just in the stage where I'm happy if the seed germinates. :rofl: Looks like you've put a lot of thought into it and will reap the benefits. ;)

I'm a first year grower too and just in the stage where I'm happy if the seed germinates. :rofl: Looks like you've put a lot of thought into it and will reap the benefits. ;)
I just reaped something... not sure if it was beneficial.

It's Sunday and I found a way to avoid cleaning up the kids mess as I should. I picked my first ripe Orange Habanero pod, cut it in half, deseeded it and ate one half. :mouthonfire:

My tongue felt like it was turning into a cactus and I got hiccups straight away. After some screaming and drooling and half a carton of milk later it feels quite good. :) The burn was only really intense for 2 minutes or so and now its like a nice hum. I don't remember ever eating a fresh chilli before, and not even that much hot sauce in my life until recently, so it was a bit of a shock! I think a chilli growing and eating newbie like me should start lower down the heat scale, and build up to the Habaneros.

I think I'll freeze the rest of the Habs as they ripen and then make some sauce. Some of the other varieties I have growing can be picked and nibbled on.

My tongue felt like it was turning into a cactus and I got hiccups straight away. After some screaming and drooling and half a carton of milk later it feels quite good. :) The burn was only really intense for 2 minutes or so and now its like a nice hum.

You have a way with words, mega. That's a cool description. The 'hum' is a great way to describe that slow denouement.

If psychological observers were allowed to watch a hot chili eaten just moments after the event, with no knowledge of it, the write ups would be fascinating, I bet. We're amused by online videos of chili feats, but without context, they'd make folks wonder if those were their neighbors. Of course, most of the time, they'd be justified in their suspicions anyway, based on the crowd at this place. But still...

Congrats on the first day of 'harvest'.

This is interesting. I chopped up the other half of the Hab pod really fine and fried it in a pan with some garlic and chorizo sausage, then tossed it with some pesto pasta, and topped with some parmesan cheese. I put the Hab pod in at the end and it didn't cook for long at all. Yes I know.. it's the saltiest, oiliest dish you have ever heard.

When I ate it I couldn't detect any heat at all !

I'm guessing that the oil must have coated the capsiacin and prevented it from bonding to my tongue? Once the heat is on your tongue though I don't think the oil will help detach it as effectively. But then how does Chilli Oil work? I'm confused :crazy: Maybe it was the garlic, or even the paprika that's in chorizo?

Good advice that you are giving yourself. I didn't eat a fresh hab until I had been eating chiles for years, and it still lit me up. I think you will like the Big Jims once they get ready. If you pick them green, roast on the grill until the skin is blackened, then sweat in a ziplock for 10-15 minutes. After that, remove the skin and seeds (but not the membranes) and make chile rellanos, or chop and put on top of a hamburger (especially one you grilled on the coals that you used to roast the chiles). Nice, moderate heat and excellent flavor.

I think a chilli growing and eating newbie like me should start lower down the heat scale, and build up to the Habaneros.

I think I'll freeze the rest of the Habs as they ripen and then make some sauce. Some of the other varieties I have growing can be picked and nibbled on.

I have been without internet for two weeks until today so couldn't update on what's been going on.

Good news first
Since my last post I've eaten a few fresh pods which were mainly 7 - 8 out of 10 heat level. Tasty and very satisfying to eat things you have grown yourself.
I have used a lot of pods in cooking as well. :)
I have two Aji Lemon plants which are loaded with green pods, and the first one to ripen yellow was awesome. The Thai Orange has tons of pods too.
No pods from my lone bhut jolokia yet but it put on a growth spurt and has made up for its earlier sluggishness, its tall now. I'm hoping I will get some pods after transplanting to a new big pot.
One of the hab plants I grew from the mixed seed pack (orange/red/chocolate) has a few good sized pods are strangely wrinkled and very pale green. I can feel they are going to change colour any day now but not sure how they will go from pale green to any of the colours. If I had to I would guess they'll go white!
I ordered some seeds from peppermania ages ago and they finally got here. LOVE getting new seeds in the mail. They had to go through US and Australian customs so I'm not surprised on the delay. I'll start them early for next season.

Bad news
Just as the colours started to come into the garden I lost access to the very good camera.
The orange Habanero's were invaded by some catepillars. I had always thought that they were only in danger to birds because of the heat, but after ripping open several pods with rotting entry scars there was a fat and happy catepillar going to town in each.
They also got into my first hungarian black pod which was a real beauty.
The seedlings I had in my growing cupboard suddenly got yellowing leaves that dropped off and many of them died. I might have over watered or over fertilsed them, or it could be an infection. Still trying to figure it out.
My brother reports that the Yellow Cayenne plant I gave him is covered in pods but the one I kept has gotten some disease. The leaves are all curled in and it is stunted. The leaves are green but there are no buds.
Moving house has kept me too busy to tend to the pot plants and they are languishing in their too small pots and a late summer heat wave.
I had to leave a very nice garden bed full of chilli plants behind in the hands of people who care not for things green or chilli. :cry: (it does make me want to cry but luckily they are watered on a timer so I will check back now and then to sneakiily harvest anything ripe)

I've learnt a lot in my first season and will not make the same mistakes again. As I enjoy the rest of the harvest I will plan and plot and scheme away for next sason.

Hey Moo, get some Dipel and spray it on your chillies weekly. It will break the cycle for the caterpillers and keep them away. It is organic and wont harm you or the animals. It works really well but if that doesnt get rid of them completely or fast enough for you get some neem oil and spray them with that. Neem has an added bonus of being a general plant tonic and stimulant as well.

Welcome to chilli world, now all you need to experience is chilli willy and you will be fully fledged.:onfire: :rofl:

Ahhh chilli willy... let me re-post an email that I sent to Neil from THSC.

Sooooo... I was making some corn bread tonight to take to a mates house tomorrow morning for Superbowl.
He’s gone ahead and bought some American beer and some other stuff cause he’s in to Grid Iron and stuff and decided to make it an American(ish) day.

I sprinkled a little of the powder you sent me over the top before popping it into the oven to bake.
A little later I went to the loo... then moments after that I learnt that naga powder can be extremely painful in sensitive areas.

Once I told my Mrs she pissed herself laughing at my discomfort and I decided that milk was now not only for drinking.

Looking forward to trying my own super hots once they come but will make sure to not get it on my hands next time.

Ahhh chilli willy... let me re-post an email that I sent to Neil from THSC.

After deseeding all day I woke up at night in extreme pain. I had had an itch and scratched it and well the burn was that bad I had to go to the kitchen and pour cold milk on the old fella.

Doesn't everyone do the sneaky midnight milk pouring thing now and then? you know, for fun... or is that just me? :oops:

I actually pride myself on not having rubbed my more sensitive parts when covered in chilli juice. I think I can live with not making it into that club.

I have idly chewed a fingernail long after cutting up chillis and washing my hands well, and gotten a sudden burning lip, nothing too bad tho.

I got some dipel for my tomatoes a while ago so I'll give the chillis a spray. I haven't noticed any recent invasions but will get them anyway. I just didn't realise that chillis got catepillars boring into them... but first growing year so now I know.

Doesn't everyone do the sneaky midnight milk pouring thing now and then? you know, for fun... or is that just me? :oops:

I actually pride myself on not having rubbed my more sensitive parts when covered in chilli juice. I think I can live with not making it into that club.

Somewhere, somehow it will get you, You will be busting for a pee and you will forget and need I say more.

I have idly chewed a fingernail long after cutting up chillis and washing my hands well, and gotten a sudden burning lip, nothing too bad tho.

I got some dipel for my tomatoes a while ago so I'll give the chillis a spray. I haven't noticed any recent invasions but will get them anyway. I just didn't realise that chillis got catepillars boring into them... but first growing year so now I know.

I've gotten better. But from being sprayed a few times with OC back in active duty I always have some no tears baby shampoo like Johnson & Johnson on hand. The other day I got my nose after sneezing while cutting up the T.S. Morouga pods, left my nose to burn but quickly located the J&J to prevent a any further mishaps.

I've gotten better. But from being sprayed a few times with OC back in active duty I always have some no tears baby shampoo like Johnson & Johnson on hand. The other day I got my nose after sneezing while cutting up the T.S. Morouga pods, left my nose to burn but quickly located the J&J to prevent a any further mishaps.

What does the J&J do. Does it dilute the chilli. Ive tried washing in all sorts of stuff to no avail. It wears off when it wears off. I wear nitrile gloves now for the big missions.

Back