• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My grow log is stupid

Been growing peppers off and on -depending where I live for maybe like thirteen years. Did a bit of vocational horticulture school, but I screwed off more than anything so I really don't remember a lot of it. Right now I'm growing in closets and my garage under lights, in containers and in the ground outside, and getting ready to start up my various hydro systems.

I'm kind of an undisciplined grower. Kind of lazy sometimes. If I was more on it, I'm sure my production would be better. I spend a lot of $ and time amending soil, messing around with fertilizers and such but am easily sidetracked and I don't always do things the right way. Sometimes my gardening sessions rapidly deteriorate into drinking beer outside and killing the squirrels that like to mess around with my plants.

Anyway, I like checking these out and know others do and appreciate any future input on the bs I will later post. I think this sums up my garden-
IMG_2055.jpg

This is a orange hab I planted last year. It was one of those "extra" plants you don't have room for. So I stuck it in the crappy unamended dirt outside my backdoor right next to a massive spanish dagger plant. Threw a bit of mulch around it, but no fertilizer. It ended up producing all winter and just picked some a couple days ago when I pruned it.

Phew! I don't even remember logging on last night! Too many beers!

Not my greatest year in some areas but learning a lot. Already planning on a revamped approach next January. That said, I'm still sowing seeds and have more plants coming up ready to go into the ground or larger pots. I probably have too many things going on at once.

This is my hydro plant that came out of a mystery mix bag. Guess its some sorta NuMexy? Guajillo? Idk. Took a nighttime pic cause the daylight ones are kinda crappy.

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

My other hydro stuff by that mystery plant are an Orange Hab in the Waterfarm and a Scotch Bonnet with a jackedup yellowy Aji Dulce in the bato buckets.

IMG_3282.jpg

Just started another method, my first topsy turvey w/ a Bonda Ma Jacques. Not too exciting yet, but looks like it'll make it so far.

IMG_3297.jpg

Just a few shots of some others- Orange Thai

IMG_3296.jpg

Cascabel

IMG_3294.jpg

This came from a single seed I took from an old homegrown last year Fatalii. Maybe it crossed? Looks kinda like an Asian pepper plant.

IMG_3295.jpg

Nothin's really blown me away yet, but if I manage to get a few good, big producers going, they could keep going up to next January.

boutros said:
Just started another method, my first topsy turvey w/ a Bonda Ma Jacques. Not too exciting yet, but looks like it'll make it so far.

WTF is that? Are you growing it from the bottom of a bucket?

A Topsy Turvey is just a hanging container. I've seen a buncha folks using them here and there. Nothin I made up on my own. They're like ten dollars at Home Depots and I am sure are available online. Just another concept that I wanted to try. I had to buy one to see how I could make my own. Next yearI want to try an earthbox.

Check it out- http://https://www.topsyturvy.com/?cid=486257

boutros said:
A Topsy Turvey is just a hanging container. I've seen a buncha folks using them here and there. Nothin I made up on my own. They're like ten dollars at Home Depots and I am sure are available online. Just another concept that I wanted to try. I had to buy one to see how I could make my own. Next yearI want to try an earthbox.

Check it out- http://https://www.topsyturvy.com/?cid=486257

I've been looking into the earth box also! Cool concept...

They seem to work very well for some folks here. Seems like a passive hydro wick system as far as I can tell. Still have to fuly research it sometime. Got too much crap going on already this year.

boutros said:

Very nice massive pods boutros. Would like to know how those taste and the variety as well when you get it nailed down. I saw some similar pods in another thread and will see if I can find it again.

Plants all look great and that's the first blue topsy I've seen.

Thanks Silver Surfer. I really wish I had some of whatever you got goin on with your plants. And any input on the mystery would be appreciated.

I think the last thing I'm gonna have for a bit to post is my other project I'm excited about, my cloning set up. This is an early pic, just gettin it goin. Have six cuttings of that one Mexican Black Cobra plant that I found at a local nursery. Hopefully it works out for me. It'd be nice to keep certain plants going all the time, and takes out any weird cross pollination and hybridization issues.

IMG_3305.jpg

boutros said:
Thanks Silver Surfer. I really wish I had some of whatever you got goin on with your plants. And any input on the mystery would be appreciated.

I think the last thing I'm gonna have for a bit to post is my other project I'm excited about, my cloning set up. This is an early pic, just gettin it goin. Have six cuttings of that one Mexican Black Cobra plant that I found at a local nursery. Hopefully it works out for me. It'd be nice to keep certain plants going all the time, and takes out any weird cross pollination and hybridization issues.

IMG_3305.jpg

I have that same lil green house!;)

I think I'm going to start to do some cloning myself. After basically doing that with some tops of plants that were broken off it no longer seems impossible for me.

Good luck with yours boutros. How big of a cutting are you starting with?

Thanks. Cuttings are various sizes to help me see what's ideal. As long as it has a node I guess for new growth and enough stemto stick in the hole. Humidity will probably be the biggest thing. I'm sure you can have too much or too little. The rockwool cubes are 2" X 2" to give you another idea on size. I just used some rooting hormone from Home Despot.

boutros said:
Interesting. I'm in Clairemont too. There's a bunch of canyons though, whereabouts? On seasons, It seems like it's always 60-70 F here unless its Jan or Feb.

I am over in the Mount streets, back by the John Muir school (Genesee & Mt Herbert). Where are you close to? We should have an end of the season chili roast...

I have a few home made earthboxes going, let me know if you are going to put some together. I made some with 5 gallon buckets and 22 gallon rubermaid bins.

Back