• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My grow log is stupid

Been growing peppers off and on -depending where I live for maybe like thirteen years. Did a bit of vocational horticulture school, but I screwed off more than anything so I really don't remember a lot of it. Right now I'm growing in closets and my garage under lights, in containers and in the ground outside, and getting ready to start up my various hydro systems.

I'm kind of an undisciplined grower. Kind of lazy sometimes. If I was more on it, I'm sure my production would be better. I spend a lot of $ and time amending soil, messing around with fertilizers and such but am easily sidetracked and I don't always do things the right way. Sometimes my gardening sessions rapidly deteriorate into drinking beer outside and killing the squirrels that like to mess around with my plants.

Anyway, I like checking these out and know others do and appreciate any future input on the bs I will later post. I think this sums up my garden-
IMG_2055.jpg

This is a orange hab I planted last year. It was one of those "extra" plants you don't have room for. So I stuck it in the crappy unamended dirt outside my backdoor right next to a massive spanish dagger plant. Threw a bit of mulch around it, but no fertilizer. It ended up producing all winter and just picked some a couple days ago when I pruned it.

Not really anything about growing, but here's something stupid-

setting up a live trap for squirrels, then getting this and not having a quick release from a distance strategy-

IMG_2992.jpg

Had to jimmy the door with a bunch of crap

IMG_2991.jpg

A few strategically placed cheetos, and he's on his way...

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

If it had been a squirrel, it'd be a different story. Skunks dig up my lower garden sometimes, but whatever. That area of the garden sucks anyway. I'm just happy I didn't get the big spray.

wow that looks like it took some time. thanks for photographing every part for us.
An electronic remote control release would have been nice fur shur.

Yeah, it took a bit of doin', but the skunk was actually pretty chill through the whole thing. I just need to do a couple of ropes in the appropriate locations for an easier release.

Whew, you were really lucky he didn't unleash his wrath when the trap door slammed shut.

Great work on your successful release and the cool nerve to take pics during the process. :)

Yeah, I got a little close following him to see where he went and did a little tail display action. So I bailed.

boutros said:
Yeah, it took a bit of doin', but the skunk was actually pretty chill through the whole thing. I just need to do a couple of ropes in the appropriate locations for an easier release.

Dude, you are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man skunks are some smelly mo fo's. You got lucky on that one for sure, congrats! You ever been sprayed before?

=Diablo;21551 Randomness makes things interesting...

I like randomness too.

joeknowsjolokia said:
Dude, you are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a second the thought of making a skunk suit with duct tape and garbage bags popped into ny head so I could run up and do it quick. I don't think that would have ended well lol.

patrick said:
Man skunks are some smelly mo fo's. You got lucky on that one for sure, congrats! You ever been sprayed before?

Not yet! It's probably only a matter of time.

Great thread, boutros!

Lovely area you live in - reminds me of Africa. :lol:

I think you guys have even more nocturnal wildlife than we do - very exciting!

Also very interesting to see your lateral thinking on some of those projects. Well done!

Thanks for the good word, Paul!

Some stuff is worth an update, my hydro stuff is starting to take off. And some other stuff. Will load some pics up this weekend. Got to head out for the day right now though.

Still have to put up something quick- finally got what I'm going for-

IMG_3219.jpg

One less ground squirrel up in my dish!

IMG_3220.jpg

Nice catch on the Squirrel! I am over in the Clairemont area on the canyon and am dealing with similar issues. This is my first time growing peppers in San Diego. It will be interesting to see how long the season goes for. Keep the pics coming.

patrick said:
i've been sprayed. it's by no means fun in ANY sense of the word. you really dont get the smell off you by washing. it has to just fade over time.

boutros said:
Thanks for the good word, Paul!

Some stuff is worth an update, my hydro stuff is starting to take off. And some other stuff. Will load some pics up this weekend. Got to head out for the day right now though.

Still have to put up something quick- finally got what I'm going for-

IMG_3219.jpg

One less ground squirrel up in my dish!

IMG_3220.jpg

Heh heh! Well done!

You heading over to the 'Recipes' Forum now?? :lol::lol:

Satch said:
Nice catch on the Squirrel! I am over in the Clairemont area on the canyon and am dealing with similar issues. This is my first time growing peppers in San Diego. It will be interesting to see how long the season goes for. Keep the pics coming.

Interesting. I'm in Clairemont too. There's a bunch of canyons though, whereabouts? On seasons, It seems like it's always 60-70 F here unless its Jan or Feb.

Back