food My obsession with heat and food...JoynersHotPeppers

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Up early...

13784_985750168125376_6666596538576507676_n.jpg

11149514_985799671453759_376792947423870634_n.jpg

Hitting the smoker right around 7 AM EST 

So, after seeing quite a few smoked pork posts, I'm guessing that injecting them with a brine is essential to keeping them moist? What brine do you use? Maybe that would explain why my smoked loin wasn't as moist as I wanted. :rolleyes:

I rarely if ever inject pork however a loin is very much fat free so I would if I ever smoked one. I only injected this one since I was following a pork picnic recipe loosely at best. I used my rub mixed with 100% apple juice for the injection. 

Ozzy2001 said:
That ham looks super savory. A couple of super thin slices pieces...I can taste it.
It shall be cooked tomorrow then into the fridge and onto the slicer! 

grantmichaels said:
Nice photos tonight ...
Thanks, I kind of think they suck since one of the kitchen lights blew so the lighting I am used to is not there hahahah on an iPhone drama. 

And I quote "Place the country ham in the sink and scrub with a brush and warm water to remove mold if necessary.  You can expect to find mold on very good country hams.   Notice on the left side of the picture that the hock has been cut off."

Guess that means I have a good one..just kidding. Actually the place this ham came from the guy is so well known they rarely last a day before being sold out and you have to be in the know to get one on his aging cycles. 

I would like to work a trade for some of the ham.  It looks simply excellent.  I've a nice slicer and will shave it paper thin.  Then I'll serve it with ripe berries and melon or maybe wrap blanched asparagus spears in it, to be dipped in hollandaise.  Mostly I'll just plate it with a few cornichons and a nice grainy mustard with grilled bread.  But seriously.  For trade.     

Back