food My obsession with heat and food...JoynersHotPeppers

Smoked wild caught salmon over alder wood going down!

11822290_1047775528589506_56532933546393330_n.jpg

Nothing beats freshness.  You can grind your own deer, pork, beef or whatever.   It reaches it's prime in a day or 3 when the spices/herbs kick in.  I  have learned that pre-grinding, adding spices/herbs and freezing is a slow decline in flavor.   Pork added to venison will go rancid in a couple months in the freezer.  As I get older and wiser,  I just cut up big chunks of deer roast and freeze.  When I'm ready for some good ground burger or sausage I thaw it out and grind with pork fat, beef suet, spices or whatever flavor I am after.  Then it's straight to the smoker, grill or CI.  It's funny growing up and watching the older men making huge batches of sausage on a mission.  I have done it for years thinking it all needs done up front for later use and freezer stock.  Now I just take my time and get a flavor in my head.  Take out a package from the freezer,  add some fat,  some herbs and it turns out so much better than what was sitting in the freezer for 3 months.

I freeze all my venison by itself but a vacuum sealer is the key for any meat :) I usually don't freeze anything that is mixed unless I am making sausage with pork/venison they it is smoked and vacuum sealed and taste the same a year later. I agree we learn as we age and I am pissed I waited so long to vacuum seal

You just reminded me I need to take some venison out, still too much in freezer heading into this season. 

Ok...I never bought into the vacuum seal.  I wrap in freezer paper.  I do a lot of veggies in ziplocks and just suck out the the air with a straw....well the woman like that part lol.  Do you think a vacuum sealer is really worth it? 

I can grind 10% beef suet into venison, wrap it in freezer paper and it is good for a year plus and never changes flavor or goes rancid.  That supplies all my tacos, enchiladas, nachos, spaghetti, lasagna, grilled burger, meatloaf(mixed with ground turkey) for the year.  Basically anything that uses burger as the meat

When I grind in pork fat it just goes downhill.  I can make Italian or breakfast sausage that no one would think is venison.  But after a couple months in the freezer it really goes downhill.   Fresh pork fat/trimmings will last a little longer.  Buying a fatty shoulder, shank and cutting it in always screws me.   

Back