• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My thai red pepper plant

I left the image sideways so you could get a real sense of the vertical size. This plant was grown of a seed from a fresh red Thai pepper bought at an Asian market. I was going to ask them where they got it so that I could get the exact name of the pepper strain/species(?) It sprouted in late summer in the northern hemisphere so its been indoors for 80+ % of its life. Only has one pepper on it maybe because it came to maturity so late? Any growing tips would be appreciated as this is the first time I've ever grown any fruit-bearing plant.

dsc00393oa.jpg

peper1.jpg

I forgot to mention that there is a stick in the pot to hold the plant from falling over. That's the thing you see in the 2nd pic w/ the yellow tie @ it. Should I have pruned this plant some time ago or is it too late to do it now?

eh, topping is quite optional.
Thats what I wanted to find out."topping" is "pruning" right? I was just thinking that this plant is getting too tall and maybe pruning was the answer?

BTW- I'm not much of a green-thumb because it only produced that one pepper so far from @ 100+ flowers :-(

All you have to do is lightly tap or flick the stem with your finger when the flowers are open. Or gently put a small artists paintbrush into the openned flower and twirl it around, (GENTLY is the key). If you're worried about knocking the flowers off, touch the stem near the flower sprouts with an electric toothbrush. The vibrations will get all the pollen moving around and hopefully you will get pods pods pods! All these methods I have read about. I have flicked the stems lightly and I get some flower drop but also some pods. All my flowering chillies are outside so the bugs do the hard work for me.

Good luck. Post a pic when the plant is full of pods :D

Looks like its time again for Willard's famous list of possible reasons for flower drop :)

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects(not really needed with chiles)
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.

+2 for the last posts :-)

Thanks megamoo. I just did the gentle flick method and there was plenty of pollen there to move around. Maybe in 2-3 weeks I'll have some more pics to upload w/ new peppers starting on the plant. :woohoo:

I've never needed manual pollination indoors personally, but I guess I have good air circulation. You can always just give your plants a shake now and then or blow a fan on them to circulate air better, or the flick method. The whole painbrush idea seems a little overboard for chiles in my opinion. Commercial greenhouse often use leaf blowers or vibrating wands, and I believe they always pollinate in the late morning or early afternoon for maximum effect.

I've never needed manual pollination indoors personally, but I guess I have good air circulation. You can always just give your plants a shake now and then or blow a fan on them to circulate air better, or the flick method. The whole painbrush idea seems a little overboard for chiles in my opinion. Commercial greenhouse often use leaf blowers or vibrating wands, and I believe they always pollinate in the late morning or early afternoon for maximum effect.
So I take it a vibrator would be a useful indoor container growing tool for any female pepper growers out there? :shocked: :lol:

Who would've guessed? :D

No, they don't generally use vibrating Peter peppers for pollination :)

:eek: That is an awesome unrealised marketing idea !! Grow a whole bunch of peter peppers, stick some vibrating motors into them, and then sell them to good ladyfolk. For pollination purposes of course.

I can't think of anything that possibly could go wrong with that..... its perfect :onfire:

Trimmed up the lower leaves, leaving the secondary growth alone, and took it off of the milk crate today so that the top of the plant can catch more of the sun's rays:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Close-up of the flowering top. Even though its winter up here, its still flowering:

Here's the lower stem w/ the secondary growth left intact (you can see the solitary pepper of the plant three quarters of the way over, on the top edge of the pic)

20668ae3.jpg

I'm also growing the same pepper plant for the first time growing peppers. I was working at a guys house and he gave me a pepper, it just sat in my office for about a year and I thought.......hmmmmmmm I should try and grow a pepper from one of these dried out seeds. Mine has also been indoors the whole time. Just this last week it budded and flowered. I'll post some pics. Do the peppers grow out of where the flowers die? Also, since this plant has actually grown I started some habanero plants too. Anyone have advice for growing those. How much sun etc. This pic was taken last Monday.

Back