• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Nan's Trying it Again 2019 Veggie Garden

On to tomatoes. Four slicers: Garden Treasure (new), "W" (new), Cherokee Purple and my all-time favorite, Paul Robeson. He's not only delicious, he's a handsome guy, too. Two saladette, or grape, tomatoes: Juliette, and the quarantined Garden Gem; one cherry, Black Cherry; and two saucing tomatoes, both Pozzanos. Pozzano, Garden Gem, Garden Treasure and "W" were all plants I started from seed. All the peppers, with the exception of the Mad Hatters & the Gypsys, were also grown out from seed by me.

20190602_211420.jpg

20190602_211434.jpg

20190602_211449.jpg

20190602_211503.jpg

20190602_211518.jpg

20190602_211533.jpg

20190602_211608.jpg

And, the pole beans, Northeaster. Which I swear are growing a half foot a day in this hot, steamy weather.

20190602_211552.jpg

I'm also trying a new-to-me product this year. I've always had late blight issues with tomatoes I grew in the community gardens, so I decided to mulch this year with a new-to-me product: coconut husk mulch. I've been using the coir for several years, and actually use it in the cat litter boxes, too, but never saw it offered as a chunky mulch. Gardener's Supply sells compressed bricks of the stuff that expand into two cubic feet when wetted. It's not cheap and I certainly wouldn't even consider mulching a big area with it, but it's so convenient to handle and store, I thought I'd give it a try in my small garden. One brick mulched the two 2x4 raised beds, all the tomatoes, most of the herbs, and at least 8 large pots, some 24" across. At $14 (with a couple of discounts), it's no deal on price, but, like I said, being able to store it and handle it without help, with my terrible back and knees, is worth it to me. A plus is the neutral pH.

image000000_02.png

Mr.joe said:
Good luck with the weather. Hopefully it doesn't last too long, they will easily survive one day in high 40s
Thank you! You were right. They are fine, despite the cool temps. I actually forgot to protect one tomato plant that I keep on our deck, and it is just fine this morning, without any AgriBon.

20190604_092128.jpg

Reactions: DWB
Nan, your garden looks wonderful. You've done a great job. It's only the beginning of June - can't wait to see the jungle in August!

DownRiver said:
Nan, your garden looks wonderful. You've done a great job. It's only the beginning of June - can't wait to see the jungle in August!
Thank you! It's been a lot of work and I'm holding my breath today because the landscapers are to be spraying and I can't be there to "supervise."

The new garden is looking pretty good. I think you are going to get a little crowded in there.

nmlarson said:
Thank you! It's been a lot of work and I'm holding my breath today because the landscapers are to be spraying and I can't be there to "supervise." [emoji29]
RUUUHH—ROOOOO, recipe for disaster. Hopefully they are intelligent sprayers!

skullbiker said:
The new garden is looking pretty good. I think you are going to get a little crowded in there.

I'm planning on getting lost in there!   :rofl: 

RUUUHH—ROOOOO, recipe for disaster. Hopefully they are intelligent sprayers!

They are.  They're under orders....no 2,4-D, no Dicamba, and NO spraying whatsoever if there's any breeze.   I can wait.  The big problem is trying to keep the weeds knocked down low enough so spraying works.  There's so much rubble on the hillside, you can break an ankle trying to stay upright.

Woo Hoo!  The tarps are down!  I am happy to have air moving through the garden again!   :dance:

The landscapers sprayed around the garden today, while I was there.  Fingers crossed that the tarps did their job.  He was using Ranger Pro, which is a generic RoundUp, and promised the nozzle he was using was a more "focused" nozzle.  So, at the very least, it wasn't 2,4-D or Dicamba.  The area I let him spray yesterday was downwind of the garden, as there was a slight breeze when he was there.  What he sprayed then is already showing signs of browning off, so I'll know very soon if anything in the garden got hit.

There's a few days of fair weather forecast, so I took the opportunity to spray for whiteflies last night.  Hopefully, I'll have a happy garden!

nmlarson said:
Woo Hoo!  The tarps are down!  I am happy to have air moving through the garden again!   :dance:

... What he sprayed then is already showing signs of browning off, so I'll know very soon if anything in the garden got hit.

Well, it's been 5 days or so, how did you fair Nan?

Here are a couple of photos of the pretty much completed garden.

First, the borage at the entrance. The bees are loving it. The black aphids, too, so it's been getting a Neem bath along with everything else when I spray for whiteflies. Which is proving easier said than done this year, as it seems to rain every time I spray.

20190622_103649.jpg

Next up is a full view of the front (street side) of the enclosure.

20190622_093706.jpg

Finally, a short panoramic shot inside.  Growth has been explosive with all the rain and warmer temperatures.

20190622_101950.jpg

Next up, I'll post a link to a video tour earlier this morning.

Looks like it's been a month since a video tour, so here it is!
If anyone can help me with how to insert a "screenshot" of the video as a link placeholder, I'd certainly appreciate it!

May in Harrisburg had more days of rain than any month on record.  June has brought over 7" of rain, so far.  I am so glad I decided to go with fabric grow pots this year.  Now that the mulch is down, they'll be up off the wet ground, too, and have a chance to dry out occasionally.  Hopefully.

The peas will be taken out of the raised beds this week, as will the remains of the spinach.  I'm anxious to get some beets in those beds and will probably throw in some more spinach in the house side bed.  Having less than a tenth of the square footage I had at the community gardens is taking quite a bit of adjustment, and planning.  I've had to give up trying to grow carrots, but they were my garden nemesis anyway, so no great loss there.  The onions are pretty much a bust, as they were much too wet, even in their fabric containers.  We use a lot of green onions, so I may just stick with those, as they'll grow pretty quickly and I can simply plant some every couple of weeks for a steady supply.  Thankfully, onions are pretty cheap.

Some of the tomatoes have topped 5' already (they went in the ground 5/18) and the pole beans have grown higher in one month than the 7' deer fence and may be putting more shade on the eggplants than they like, so the eggplants will probably get moved.  Another plus for container gardening!  The whiteflies are proving to be a real problem, as it seems to rain after every chance I have to spray.  But,they will not win!  This little Scotch-Irish girl isn't giving up that easily.

Thanks for watching.

P.S.  The bird you hear calling around 01:31 is a pileated woodpecker.  

EDIT:  Thanks, CaneDog, for the YouTube help!

nmlarson said:
Looks like it's been a month since a video tour, so here it is!

If anyone can help me with how to insert a "screenshot" of the video as a link placeholder, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Things looking fantastic!

Right click the youtube video, click "copy video url."  Paste directly into your post - don't use the link button or picture button or anything like that, just copy/paste.

Back