• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Nan's Trying it Again 2019 Veggie Garden

Sugar Snaps!

20190625_130622.jpg

Super Sugar Snap from Johnny's Seeds.

The Mad Hatter's are really stretching for the sun, so today they got front seats. It's not so easy to see from this perspective, but they are a full 3' tall, and throwing buds everywhere!

20190625_134507.jpg

Lots of buds & babies!

20190625_134528.jpg

20190625_134553.jpg

The Pozzanos, the roma style tomato I grow, are beginning to set fruit! I was concerned about their position, as they do get a bit of shade in the morning and receive full sun only after noon. Doesn't look like that's going to be an issue. My brother calls them "The gift that keeps on giving," because they are so productive. They really are a hoophouse tomato, but I've not found that to be an issue as I've been growing them outside in the dirt for the past five years.

20190625_134618.jpg

The final shots for today... The peach biquinho from Justin White is going to town! I was disappointed because none of my red biq seeds germinated, but it looks like Justin's will fill the bill. My yellow biq from Johnny's is setting up to be just as nice. They make such a nice presentation when pickled and canned in a pretty jar.

20190625_134437.jpg

20190625_140141.jpg

That's it for now... :seeya:

I'll post a full tour of the garden in the next couple of days, but here's a quick update. The first ripe pod was a NuMex Trick or Treat, a no-heat hab.

20190706_154825.jpg

I really wasn't going to put these in the garden, but the NuMex Sauve Orange that came back from Florida were both loaded with whiteflies and, after three applications of Neem, I gave up and cut them back.

20190706_154840.jpg

The NTT peppers have pretty thick walls, much more so than the NSO, and, while it lives up to its description of having no heat, it doesn't have much of anything else, either. There's not much of any flavor at all.

The NSO are leafing out beautifully, so I believe I will nurse them along, as their flavor beats the NTT, hands down, no comparison.

20190706_155743.jpg

I grew up in a family that didn't waste anything. I'll try to find a way to use the NTT, but I'm not holding high hopes. Gotta say, I'm really disappointed in them.

...Gotta say, I'm really disappointed in them.

Bummer. I've never had a NTT, so I can't comment on it's taste but maybe, just maybe, you experienced that "bland first pod" thing that happens sometimes with peppers. Maybe subsequent pods will be more flavorful. Just a thought. Fingers crossed for ya.

Wow! I am having NO luck getting my spraying to have any effect. It seems that every time I spray, it rains! I check the radar and it looks good, the barometer and prevailing winds all look good, so I spray. Then, out of nowhere, a storm cell materializes. This time, it was 2.17". Anyone have any recommendations for a spray for whiteflies, and the rest of the usual suspects, that can be used within a couple of hours of rain? I'm about to put a roof up! :banghead:

20190708_093943.jpg

I got at least one nso in a 15 gal. Its starting to load up with pods, and I'm pretty excited about it. I also have a cream Fatalii from cone 9 that is supposed to be really low heat

Walchit said:
I also have a cream Fatalii from cone 9 that is supposed to be really low heat

If the flavor profile is there, I'd love if you could send some seed my way at season's end........ :pray:

Reactions: DWB
nmlarson said:
Wow! I am having NO luck getting my spraying to have any effect. It seems that every time I spray, it rains! I check the radar and it looks good, the barometer and prevailing winds all look good, so I spray. Then, out of nowhere, a storm cell materializes. This time, it was 2.17". Anyone have any recommendations for a spray for whiteflies, and the rest of the usual suspects, that can be used within a couple of hours of rain? I'm about to put a roof up! :banghead:

attachicon.gif
20190708_093943.jpg

You might try pyrethrin with a sticky surfactant. Without the rain bath it should be good for a week or two. I think it holds up fairly well to some half-inch rains here. The Southern Ag stuff works well when mixed to vegetable label specs and it's economical but not omri certified, Probably because of the piperonyl butoxide. Still safe to use day of harvest or as a pre-harvest treatment.

It's labeled for whiteflies and stink bugs. It does okay with the stinkers.

DWB said:

You might try pyrethrin with a sticky surfactant. Without the rain bath it should be good for a week or two. I think it holds up fairly well to some half-inch rains here. The Southern Ag stuff works well when mixed to vegetable label specs and it's economical but not omri certified, Probably because of the piperonyl butoxide. Still safe to use day of harvest or as a pre-harvest treatment.

It's labeled for whiteflies and stink bugs. It does okay with the stinkers.

Thanks for the tips!  This morning I was going through my leftovers from last year's attempt in the community gardens and found some surfactant, so that will replace the soap I've been using.  Last evening, I was able to get a good spraying in without it raining!  If I can repeat that another 2, 3 times, hopefully I'll get those b*st*rds knocked down.  But, you never know these days with this weather.  For the past five years, we've had only wild swings, back and forth, from one extreme to another.  I'm guessing it's the new normal.

I'm off to Lowe's for some more EMT....building another enclosure for the squash so the deer don't hit them.  We planted microclover in the front yard last fall and there have been 4 young buck grazing there, on a regular basis, and the clover is holding it's own against them!  We'll see if it stays green when the REAL dry heat comes.

Another quick share of something I've seen online and have been Jonesing for a long while. Garden cloches. The nicer ones I can find are +$50 and up!

For a tomato cage and some rusty chicken wire!

20190711_172926.jpg

20190711_173030.jpg

{Duh! Smacks forehead!}

So, I went rummaging in the garage, spent a couple of hours fighting with the chicken wire, ending up looking like I had a free for all with one of my cats, and here's what landed in my yard!

{Pats self on back.}

20190711_173612.jpg

It will look much better once it's painted.

First "real" harvest today. It will hit the 100s for the next few days, if not in real temperatures, absolutely in "feels like" temperatures. This morning, I took the opportunity to raise some 30% knitted shade cloth over the pepper /tomato section of the enclosure.

Clockwise, from top left: Piquillo, Piment d'Espelette, Aleppo, "Trick or Treat" NuMex habanero, "Primavera" NuMex jalapeño.

20190717_143447.jpg

I knew there was a reason I never toik down the hooks from the window farm. ;)

20190717_143418.jpg

Maybe the attic would be a better place to hang them to dry?

OMG! Thank goodness for shade cloth. Honestly, this is Pennsylvania! We're already getting earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods & spotted lantern flies. Next thing you know, we're be having dust storms! :rolleyes:

IMG_20190718_223010_01.jpg

At least when the plague of frogs comes they might eat the spotted lantern flies, right?

Seriously though, that's crazy. This whole year has been crazy with the weather and various other natural events. It's a pouring thunderstorm outside my house right now and it usually only rains a few times during July and August - and then only sprinkles.

Hope everything holds up well - yourself included!  Been enjoying the home garden you build this year and want to see it continue to prosper.

Thanks,CD! It was too hot to do much of anything in the garden today, so I just pollinated whatever passion and squash flowers were open, watered whoever needed it and visited everyone else. The NuMex Sauve Orange plants are doing very well, all things considered. Take a look at all the new growth! Hopefully, I'll be swimming in pods in a month, or so!

20190719_155310.jpg

Back