• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Nan's Trying it Again 2019 Veggie Garden

It's been a struggle keeping things relatively healthy, given the crappy weather patterns. All things considered, I am pleased with how my first year here is progressing. Closeup reports will follow soon.

20190722_131953.jpg

It's been some time since an update, so here's the latest walk-through:
It's been a challenging growing season this year, to say the least.  Along with the learning curve that goes with growing in a new spot, come all the challenges Mother Nature threw at us this year.  Not to mention the whitefly infestation and, now, on top of that, broad mites have arrived, along with the Mad Hatters, I suspect.

However, I am getting a harvest.  Here's what went into the basket today:

Aug 5.jpg

The cucumbers, "Tasty Jade" (Johnny's) are a real surprise this year, having already produced about a dozen foot-long fruit.  They are in the back of the garden, the most eastern end, and I really didn't expect them to be this successful, so a happy surprise.  My husband isn't a pickle fan, so I rarely pickle cucumbers and generally grow only slicers.  It's my first year for "Tasty Jade," and I will be growing these again!

The first "Amadeo" (Park Seeds) eggplant and the first zucchinis, "Partenon" (Johnny's), were picked this morning.  I've grown "Amadeo" in the past, and will grow it again.  Tidy plants and great producers of tender fruit.  This is the second year for "Partenon," and it will be the last.  It's supposed to be parthenocarpic.  Both years many fruits developed but began to deteriorate as if pollination was required.  With as small a garden I now have, I need proven producers.

The "Gypsy" (purchased plants) peppers are beginning to mature.  They're a favorite of mine to roast, peel, marinate and can.  "Juliette" and "Black Cherry" (both purchased plants) grape and cherry tomatoes are ripening.  I'm sorry to say, I still haven't found the flavor of that original "Black Cherry" tomato yet.  Could it be the very wet beginning to our growing season?  "Juliette" is a great grape tomato, and provides good yields, too.  Finally, in my basket, are a few Aleppos (Ford's), some peach and yellow biquinhos (White Hot Peppers and Johnny's, respectively), and a couple of the NuMex Primavera, the no-heat jalapeno from The Chile Pepper Institute at the University of New Mexico.  This one I will grow again, being the only no-heat jalapeno I've grown that has no heat and great jalapeno flavor.

Spraying for whiteflies continues, but the rains do, too.  "Pop up" thunderstorms are the name of Mother Nature's latest dirty trick, so I'll try spraying for them and the mites, again, hopefully, tonight.  As I've been trying to stay as organic as I can, I've some horticultural oil I'll use.  If that doesn't show any effect, I'll need to pull out the big guns.

Even after all the challenges, I am still happy with the progress I've seen.  Except for the passion flowers.  I'm 0 for 29 in my pollination attempts.   :rolleyes:

So, is that the relaxation station under the blue umbrella just outside the garden? Also, I dont want to be pushy but, how about a little narration on that video so I know what you are pointing that camera at.[emoji848][emoji6]. All that being said the garden there looks pretty darn good, way better than my neglected mess this year! Carry on.

Your home garden is growing in very nicely.  I expect even with the limited environmental cooperation it's still great to be gardening at home and a peaceful place to spend time.  Great work with the various trellising.  I'm curious of what you have growing in what appears to be isolation space by the sitting area.  Also, were those bishop's crowns I saw by the tomatoes?

Good to see the harvest!

skullbiker said:
So, is that the relaxation station under the blue umbrella just outside the garden?

It is! And, it's right outside a door to the rear of the house, so ice cold refreshments are close by.

Also, I dont want to be pushy but, how about a little narration on that video so I know what you are pointing that camera at.[emoji848][emoji6].

Okay, I will try that, so long as you don't make fun of me.

All that being said the garden there looks pretty darn good, way better than my neglected mess this year! Carry on.
Thanks! Yours will be thriving in no time!

CaneDog said:
Your home garden is growing in very nicely.  I expect even with the limited environmental cooperation it's still great to be gardening at home and a peaceful place to spend time.  Great work with the various trellising.  I'm curious of what you have growing in what appears to be isolation space by the sitting area.  Also, were those bishop's crowns I saw by the tomatoes?

Good to see the harvest!
Thanks! I'm pretty happy, all things considered. They are Mad Hatter Bishop's Crown peppers. My seed did not germinate so the two plants are Bonnie plants from Lowe's. I suspect they are the source of the mites.

And, do not ask how, or why, but one of them has now topped 5' and is still growing. Go figure. I was going to cut it back, but decided to see what it would do on its own.

And, behind the insect netting, growing in isolation to exclude insects, are two Amadeo eggplants.

Yikes! I believe I have a chipmunk problem! Any thoughts on whether the new electronic repellent devices really work?

20190806_163710.jpg

20190806_163605.jpg

skullbiker said:
It looks more like a vole/mole problem to me. Are the tunneling just below the surface? If so we use Gopher Scram, if you buy it search around for best price.
Yes, barely below the surface. Thanks for the referral. I'll look around. In the meantime, I plan on having a heart to heart with the feral cats I care for.

Back