• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Nerd Pron

Loving my new 6-core CPU http://hothardware.com/image_popup.aspx?image=big_die-shot.jpg&articleid=1494&t=a

Was a forced rebuild & i just though f* it!

Got one of them myself in june last year.
Nice quiet system shoved into a lian li full tower, massive HSF to keep it quiet, a crapload of silent huge fans, 8GB RAM. a SSD for c: and a few samsung 1TB HDDs for storage.
I haven't thought about it much at all in the past few months, I even forget what PSU I have (that's pretty bad for a former PC geek to forget)

edit :lol: at you recent post, hex cores are so old already, they were a few months old when I bought mine over a year ago.
But doesn't matter too much, software has to be developed to utilize all the extra cores, so any further advancements like 8 cores etc won't be any more useful than hex cores until developers catch up later, so never really much point trying to keep up on the bleeding edge.
I went hex because I wanted to do it and forget about it for a few years, and that plan worked as I pretty much forget everything about PC hardware theses days, don;t need to know it as I bought high up enough for it to be useful for a while..

Haha *snap* :lol: am also running 8 gigs ram :lol:

but yeah, dont worry too much about cooling - the amd's are designed to run at higher temps

Haha *snap* :lol: am also running 8 gigs ram :lol:

but yeah, dont worry too much about cooling - the amd's are designed to run at higher temps
But you should have known that I had a 1090T if you're a nerd. Intels i7s come in 3 channel, so 6GB or 12GB, while AMD is two channel, 4GB or 8GB

Also intel multicores over a year ago? I'm not made of money! Intels hex core in 2010 was about $1000!

I wasn't worried about cooling, the 1090T throttles down in speed, and it works quite well with my cores running on idle at 800MHz.
I just want silence no matter if they are working hard or not. Can't hear my PC at all. Twin 140mm fans running at 5V, single 120mm exhaust, aftermarket 80mm GPU fan, massive tower heatsink with 120mm fan running at 5V, quiet corsair PSU (I remembered), SSD for c drive, and samsung HDDs are the quietest too.

Look at me, scaring everyone away with geek speak.

But you should have known that I had a 1090T if you're a nerd. Intels come in 3 channel, so 6GB or 12GB, while AMD is two channel, 4GB or 8GB

Have been out of the game a bit myself but only ever build AMD's for me, fam & customers....because they run better in the heat (for anything thats outside of an air-con office)Have been called out for fixes - Customer says comp is running a bit strange. Turn up and cpu fan has stopped...in a hot brick unit in middle of brisbane summer. Says its been running a bit odd for 6 weeks. I replace the fan & good as new LOL. Like to see an Intel survive that :lol:

Also intel multicores over a year ago? I'm not made of money! Intels hex core in 2010 was about $1000!

EEEKKK :eek: Its funny how the hardware market rolls - it'll be $200 by next year

Look at me, scaring everyone away with geek speak.

Thats what this thread is about :) Us nerds have to loiter about in dark forum corners & speak our secret language :D

By the way my expertise was/is the black art of Data Recovery

Am I imagining things or is there L3 cache on that mainstream CPU? or did you post the wrong picture?
I know I'm a little outdated, but it's a little extreme in my opinion.

Am I imagining things or is there L3 cache on that mainstream CPU? or did you post the wrong picture?

Knew you'd be here :lol: & know you can read those maps - thats the actual pic from AMD website of mine & Pablo's CPU

So fill me in on what you're asking again :lol:

Knew you'd be here :lol: & know you can read those maps - thats the actual pic from AMD website of mine & Pablo's CPU

So fill me in on what you're asking again :lol:
lol
See that massive shiny part on the right that looks like a solar panel? that's a level 3 cache memory. something that apparently used to be in industrial CPUs, but now in mainstream standard CPUs.
The miniature parts attached outside of the cores that again look like a solar panel, is a level 2 cache memory. if you look closer, you can see the level 1 cache memory inside the cores. L1 is part of the structure and because of that the fastest. L2 is the secondary cache and the second fastest. L3 is actually outside of the die, and it used for excess data.

Just like how HDs are too slow for the CPU to extract data from them in real time, and we use flash memory (RAM)... the flash memory isn't fast enough for the CPU to store real-time data on it.

There's 6MB shared between all 6 cores. Not bad for $170 hey?

So its memory speed -fastest +L1, +L2, +L3 then RAM -1, HDD -2

L3 sure looks like a solar panel array

Would it have anything to do with front side busses?

So its memory speed -fastest +L1, +L2, +L3 then RAM -1, HDD -2

L3 sure looks like a solar panel array

Would it have anything to do with front side busses?
That's actually the communication between the chip and the mobo. I'm talking about on-chip micro-structure.

Like I said, it's all about price, and there isn't m/any applications that can utilize 6 cores right now anyway.

Like I said, it's all about price, and there isn't m/any applications that can utilize 6 cores right now anyway.
Utilizing 6 cores? I'm a little outdated, but I do know since Vista there's full compatibility with multi-processing. it's not going to multiply your performance by 6, unless you're processing meaningless strings of data for fun. it's more like a 4L V6 vs. a 4L single cylinder. same size and potential output, but the division lets you wire it a little different and work on several different strings at the same time. it's smart and you are using it.

it's more like a 4L V6 vs. a 4L single cylinder. same size and potential output, but the division lets you wire it a little different and work on several different strings at the same time. it's smart and you are using it.

I've always thought of it like that....but never in those kinds of words :clap:

By applications I meant one software program. the OS can use it, and it helps multitasking running different programs. But for example when I bought mine, everyone that wanted a game to run the best, bought a CPU with less cores but faster clock speed, because the extra cores wouldn't run their game any better.
But for general destop use, yes the OS can use it and multitasking running many applications etc, is better. It's works on the OS level, but won't help a single program run much better than a quad core if that program isn't designed to run on a hex core (or a quad core over a dual core etc etc).
I'm no enginneer though, the only write up that goes into detail that I remember (I bought this CPU edit: June 2010 last June) was from anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed

Back