• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Nerd Pron

I've always thought of it like that....but never in those kinds of words :clap:
The simple fact is that even if you only run a single process, like, let's say a game, all six cores are working on it. the OS is smart enough to send each string to a different core, balancing them out.

You could write a program that does it better, but it's A LOT of work.

By applications I meant one software program. the OS can use it, and it helps multitasking running different programs. But for example when I bought mine, everyone that wanted a game to run the best, bought a CPU with less cores but faster clock speed, because the extra cores wouldn't run their game any better.
But for general destop use, yes the OS can use it and multitasking running many applications etc, is better.
The thing is, and I don't know if you remember, but parallel processing existed for ages. the idea of dividing the load exists from the early years of computing. the major problem then, and probably even now, is the time need to transfer the information from one unit to the other. the units are usually much faster than the intersections, because, well, of their architecture. this causes a slight time different that builds up to something we might call a "lag". this lag is the performance difference. with time passing by, the tech gets better and the differences get smaller. one upon a time it was two computers wired together. now it's a micro-structure bound by a sort of energy. "the next step" as I remember it, is optical data transfer integrated in micro-structures. this would speed things up significantly if not happened yet. light is pretty damn fast.

By applications I meant one software program. the OS can use it, and it helps multitasking running different programs. But for example when I bought mine, everyone that wanted a game to run the best, bought a CPU with less cores but faster clock speed, because the extra cores wouldn't run their game any better.
But for general destop use, yes the OS can use it and multitasking running many applications etc, is better. It's works on the OS level, but won't help a single program run much better than a quad core if that program isn't designed to run on a hex core (or a quad core over a dual core etc etc).

Yes & just pulling up a simple webpage draws on so many strings - if they're available -

The simple fact is that even if you only run a single process, like, let's say a game, all six cores are working on it. the OS is smart enough to send each string to a different core, balancing them out.

You could write a program that does it better, but it's A LOT of work.

I'm finding the 'crispness' & just plain speed very noticable from my old quad core

I need a decent vid card too. Mines 3 gen old, I just want something last gen s/h at the moment, but new ones coming out early next year. So if I wait I can get the current gen s/h when everyone else want to get the "Radeon 1,000,000XT or GeForce 27,800Ultra"

What's the hottest model? Radeon 1,000,000XT? GeForce 27,800Ultra? :lol:

My brother paid au$800 for a monster 2 x 1 GB card 18 months ago. Had to trim up the case with snips to fit it in....& get a 1500 W p/s to run it LOL

he's already talking about upgrading

My brother paid au$800 for a monster 2 x 1 GB card 18 months ago. Had to trim up the case with snips to fit it in....& get a 1500 W p/s to run it LOL

he's already talking about upgrading
Used to be like that. owned a 9800XT that I then replaced with a dual GeForce 6800Ultra rig. that SLi was like magic. :lol:
Last awesome rig I ever bought... FX-55, 6800Ultra x 2, 4GB D9GMH RAM, Raptor HDs... that was fun. :D

I'm now a proud owner of a several-years-old laptop. :)

He only got it because his sad 1 GB card couldnt run GTA IV properly. I'm old, I dont do the gaming much anymore but have to put a card into my mobo to tell it i only want to use one vid card slot (of the 2..still don't know what thats about) & then tell the mobo i'm running on my 250 MB onboard vid....... this is no way for a nerd to live :lol:

I wouldn't know anything you're saying as I'm not a nerd/geek (:lol:), but if I were... I'd think this would probably cheer you up:

gskilla.jpg

G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ kit with hand-picked and tested D9GMH chips, and 925 silver heatsinks. only two sets in existence, and I received mine after doing a graphics job for G.Skill several years ago. :)

These bad boys did over 1,400MHz. by far the best DDR2 sticks I'VE EVER SEEN! at the time, I received offers of thousands upon thousands of dollars for them. not sure they're worth that much today. :lol:

AHHH my brain. I love this thread and yes I have three tabs open to grab explanations. I got into computers years ago (read 1995) and then let my interest fall off.

Sooooo shiney :drooling: Are you sorry you didnt cash in?

I'm running these - http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=12594

with ASUS M4A89GTD Pro mobo

Oh wow, they look... interesting. :D
Not really, the kit has great sentimental value to me AND it's legendary! I own(ed) many D9s, but those will someday pass down to my grand-grand-grandkids. maybe they'll sell it for something eventually. :P

Those random model numbers mean nothing to me... hehe. not even sure what CPUs or chipsets are sold now. it does sound cool though. maybe I should go back to the computer thing, even though it's an expensive hobby.

AHHH my brain. I love this thread and yes I have three tabs open to grab explanations. I got into computers years ago (read 1995) and then let my interest fall off.
Hardware is funny like that.
Everyone gets to the point where they go "that's enough".
For you it was 1995, for omri a few years ago, for me, last year.
After people get over that it's more interesting with what can be done with it.
Just having an internet forum where people in different locations can be saying this stuff and communicating is amazing in itself. I don't know anything about hardware released this year.
From 1995 to now I've:
I went from 486, then PI socket 7, AMD super socket 7 k2s, slot pentium II, celeron skt 370 (using slot 1 BX mobo of course and slotkets), even had a dual CPU skt 370 running dual P3s, then skt A AMD athlons from 800Mhz to 2.6 GHz with the nforce 2 mobos, to skt 939 AMD dual core CPUs (still got them runing fine), then last year my current system.
Does that fill in the gaps for you? :rofl:

If you do IT right - other people pay for your hobby. You just have to be able to fix their failures. My main Data Recovery PC is a new build, but only a dual core with 1 GB RAM & running XP.....it's been paying off my house for about 6 years

I got the 890 chipset too, g/byte though. At the time for the price, even though it has onboard GPU, it was the best mobo under $200.
For RAM, I'm running corsair dominator 1600.
Some of my old PCs ran g.skill, pretty sure I got some great corsair DDR1 sticks for my old nforce2 system, and I know there's one system around running 'team extreme' which was decent in it's day.

Yeah my office PC is still my skt 939 dual core 4400+ that I bought in 2004. My PC I keep for storage and movie playback, music, media etc next to my TV in the lounge is another skt 939 dual core bought in 2005.
Built right and fit for any fore seen purpose, pretty much last forever.

My laptop though, dell vostro 1400, upgraded the hell out of it. Came with a T7100, 2GB RAM, ~200GB HDD.
Already got a T7800, 4GB RAM and a seagate momentus hybrid 500GB HDD.
In that spec, should also do me for a long time (especially after getting rid off vista and installing ubuntu)
Yeah, there's a thing, oops, mentioned the OS argument :lol

edit: I know nothing about IT though, I'm in the air conditioning trade :rofl:

I went from 486, then PI socket 7, AMD super socket 7 k2s, slot pentium II, celeron skt 370 (using slot 1 BX mobo of course and slotkets), even had a dual CPU skt 370 running dual P3s, then skt A AMD athlons from 800Mhz to 2.6 GHz with the nforce 2 mobos, to skt 939 AMD dual core CPUs (still got them runing fine), then last year my current system.
Does that fill in the gaps for you? :rofl:

its scarey that i can understand that

Back