• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Grower- Questions

They call them Gold Bullets, but they do turn orange when ripe. They have slightly more heat than the White Bullet, but also a little less flavor IMO. The White Bullet is one of my favorite all time peppers. It is just the right size and a very "meaty" little pepper for a small one person meal. (especially when cut up with some onion and mixed with a small 6oz can of tuna-yum!) I haven't had a hard time growing them, just a hard time overwintering them. 0 for 4. The small orange peppers in the picture above are the right color, but look a little too fat to me to be Gold Bullets.

Went and looked at my catalog from redwood seeds and yep they are called gold bullets(at least there they are). I also remembered now why they stood out in my mind but I didnt order them... they were $15 bucks a pack! lol So I went with the triple hot organge habs for $2.50 a pack. :)

elthznd901 said:
Went and looked at my catalog from redwood seeds and yep they are called gold bullets(at least there they are). I also remembered now why they stood out in my mind but I didnt order them... they were $15 bucks a pack! lol So I went with the triple hot organge habs for $2.50 a pack. :)

I forgot how expensive they were, I guess I should grow one this year just so I can share some seeds.

AlabamaJack said:
I didn't send any orange bullets...this is the first time I have heard of that one...
I didn't mean that you sent orange bullets. I just think they look like something that should be called that. Remember?...We started a thread to try to figure out their real name. I would like to cross it with a white or gold bullet for fun.
They taste different that the big orange ones do. I can't wait til I can put some in a blender or on a sandwich. Right now I have about 8 plants.
I'l post pictures of a couple plants soon.

Here are a couple of my smaller ones. Notice the dark stems and strange colored shiny leaves.
The first one needed a bath and rinse.
pichur055.jpg

pichur056.jpg

right ABM...forgot...they turned out to be heart of chickens (the small red/orange ones)...I am growing the red and the yellow ones this year

Nice on the white habs! Hope I get that many pods.. I just re-built some shelves I had to make an area for my seedlings. Found some fafard potting mix I am going to use(no pro mix readily available in the area it seems). Got some lights from home depot.. and just have to find my heating pads and I am set. Hope to do that tommorow afternoon in case my seeds arrive tommorow :)

Everyone's become so hung up on pro-mix this year, but there are so many other great products out there, and Fafard is one of them;)

Ok.. so I got my seeds in on monday. Within about 5 days I saw life starting on the early jalepenos.

Now one is up.. and I have Twilights, purp jalepeno, twilight, ancho's, triple hot hab, chimayo, and tomatillos all coming up. I am using those seed starter trays with the plastic covers, heating pad, and 2 shop light fixtures with 2 bulbs each.

My question is this. Obviously not all have sprouted.. nor have all varieties sprouted. Should I take off the cover now and get those lights extra close? While just keeping the temp up and the rest of the cells moist? Or should I leave the cover on longer until more sprout? Never considered what to do when only some varieties sprout in the same cell pack..lol

I always keep my dome on until most of the seeds have sprouted(80%+) as it helps keep the soil moist. But a lot of people take it off before. I have a few holes punched in my dome on the side and top to help with a little airflow, but also, whenever any seedlings appear, I always take it off completely for a few minutes each day to keep the air supply under the dome fresh. Sounds like you have plenty of light, you should have some quick growth.

What do you guys suggest if you have to go away? I need to go away for about a week. I am bottom watering now and it seems they stay mostly damp for about 2-3 days. If I get them nice and saturated you think they would be ok for the whole 7? They are in 3(or maybe its 4)inch pots. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

On a side note EVERYTHING has sprouted and is doing well.. I only had one tepin that sprouted.. and honestly just gave up on the other tepin seeds as I already have too many..lol

Cool the house down, and turn off the lights. That will slow down their growth, and they shouldn't dry out completly. That's what I do with my orchids.

Back