• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest November Throwdown - Comfort Food, 2 Sides!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pip, no worries. I guess here in the states, comfort food were those meals growing up as a kid that mom cooked that were special for you. For me it was things like fried chicken but we always had a starch and a vegetable with it. Comfort food to you might mean food you have when the weather sucks and you had a bum day..okay then a nice big bowl of chili with a side of rice and beans or maybe your comfort food is stirfry. Even a stirfry can have sides. Say its a beef stirfry. Make a crispy asian ramen salad for one side, and maybe some kicked up pickled beets or deep fried rice balls for the second. You're a pretty sharp cat and I reckon you'll do fine.

You did outstanding last throwdown at making sausage for the first time and winning. You might even be the first two time winner.

texas blues said:
A spoonful of pesto is a side? No. Traditionally a plate is made up of meat, chix, or fish, a vegetable (1 side) and a starch (like rice, pasta, or potato...thats the 2nd side). Dipping sauces are not sides. Guacamole or salsa is not a side. Those are dips and condiments.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, salsa can be a side, theres more work to making salsa than a bowl of sweet corn ;)

also theres some comfort foods that have sides that are dipping sauces that also have just as much veggies as any stand alone side dish!

if its just sauce then I understand its not a side dish, but otherwise if you make the stuff & it has plenty of veggies or fruit in it then its a side dish!

Maybe making food with foo if comfort. See, for me part of the comfort of the food is the actual cooking of the food. I love to cook. This one is going to be so much fun because it is vague which is going to give us such a wide range of foods.

foo foo = fancy pantz stuff, garnish and such. OTT Presentation.

If you're carving radishes into the shape of a chile to top yer salad, that's too much foo-foo. ;)

I'm gonna have to get in on this one. My problem is the 2 comfort foods I have always enjoyed are sides, so it make things a little easier for me. I just gotta figure out one thing to throw in as the main part.

You will see the actual rules when it starts, which will be the first Friday of November. And yes, it will have to include peppers, that is really a given though.

Bradh728 said:
then I want a cheese steak from yoou!!!!

Not a bad idea, but I have another PA dish in mind. Actually I have three ideas in mind, only one of which is from PA. I do love Philly cheesesteaks though. Never seen anyone make and post a KHB yet.

JayT said:
Not a bad idea, but I have another PA dish in mind. Actually I have three ideas in mind, only one of which is from PA. I do love Philly cheesesteaks though. Never seen anyone make and post a KHB yet.

I'm not actually a big fan of the hot brown and don't get me wrong, I was raised on it, it was offered in my dads restaurant. But sadly, when food is free, I was always picking the shrimp scampi lol....

I could do a hot pepper version of hot brown.. replace the bread with sliced peppers??? lol

I was thinking more like replacing or adding to the tomatoes with hot peppers. I think you gotta keep the bread. But that cheese sauce is also begging for some pepper sauce to be added. Man to get sick of KHBs. Wow I wish I could. Of course I only ever had them about twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back