event NWCF- campout summary, post #83

That's GREAT!  Thanks.  I'd be happy to pay you for a site for the boys if there is one avaiable, or they can share!  They came to the campout a couple years ago and had a blast, been wanting to come back again.  The 3 guys have been camping locally this summer. 

I Forgot to post a teaser!
Some of the sauces we'll be sampling.  There's more from Dee-Roo on the way and some others~
Friendly Fire is a company out of Seattle, I'm hoping they'll come out on Saturday.
IMG_4595.JPG

Current Summary of the 2015 Northwest Chilefest Campout at Kanasket-Palmert State Park, Sept 11-13.

Most campers are arriving on Friday, Sept 11th.  It's sort of a fend for yourself Friday Dinner with Organic Pepper (Aaron) offering to share some Japanese cooking.  If you want to come share some food Friday, please try to bring a little something to share.  Appetizer or dessert...???

Saturday Morning- Everyone is on their own for breakfast.  We have the picnic shelter from 8am all day.  I think Aaron will be over at the shelter early setting up.  I'll have name tags, bling, lemonade, lots of sauces to sample and I know others are bringing sauces and pods to share. 

Several of us will be there in the morning, Day-Trippers can come on down whenever they can get there.  It's a great park area with the Green River close for playing in.  Family- and Pet-friendly,  lots of stuff for the Kiddos to do, and feel free to bring a yard game or whatever~  I always feel like there's never enough time to visit, so come early and stay late! 

I think we're shooting for a 2:00 Lunch Time.  Depending on Aaron's cook time, we'll update this as it gets closer to the day. 

PaulG is coordinating a Chile Pepper Eating Contest, with a nice prize package of assorted sauces from some of the best sauce companies in the US including FatCat, Lucky Dog, High River, Texas Creek and probably SeaFire  (I'm volunteering Dave for a bottle of Sweet Spicy Girl!  :lol: )

I and others will have some goods out for sale, not sure if I'll have any Scratch-n-Dents, but I will have some refrigerated salsa, some custom goods, who knows what else?  Hoping a couple other local sauce companies will come join us.

Aaron has taken point for cooking a meat for the potluck.  Everyone else please bring an appetizer, side, salad, or dessert.  Once it gets closer to the weekend, maybe Aaron can post what's on the menu so we can bring complimentary dishes. 

I'm looking for someone to bring paper plates, napkins and cutlery for 100 in lieu of bringing a food dish.  I have some dry goods from previous years that I will bring, but we will need more for the Potluck.   

Donation- there will be a donation jar for food.  Strictly optional!  just to help out with what sounds like a ton of food for Aaron.   

Saturday evening- it's usually leftovers in the campground, hanging out, not sure if campfires will be allowed.  I think I saw something a few days ago that all campfires are prohibited in all WA state parks.  We'll have to see in September.

Sunday Breakfast- we're doing a group breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy, WAFFLES!...if someone wants to bring some fresh fruit, that would probably be refreshing.  I'm going to try and have some stuff ready by 9:00, folks can come and eat as they get up.  Some have to take off early, I'll be there through Sunday, leaving Monday for those who can hang around.  I also plan on arriving Thursday.  Sounds like this will be my vacation, so we are extending it a couple days to be able to relax and spend as much time as possible with everyone. 

Other Notes- it may be better now, but in the past, there is no WiFi at the park and limited call service.  Some carriers worked, others didn't.   We can share cell numbers if y'all think it would be beneficial. 

BYOB- adult beverages are OK at the potluck and in the campground as long as they are not blatent.  In other words, mixed drink in a Go-Cup, beer or wine in plain cups, no visible beer cans (get a tall Kozi-Kooler, no walking around with beer cans).  The rangers are usually pretty cool, we just have to be respectful and discrete.  The one thing they have called us on in the past is- Quiet Time is 10:00.  OOPS!  25 people hanging around the campfire...we weren't that quiet...:lol: 

Looking forward to seeing everyone. 
PS- If I got something mixed up, please post and clarify!  Thanks!

Thanks SL. 
Here's the current menu for the moment that I'm putting together.
Roast Pig (about 75lb to 90lbs)
Char Siu Pork
Chicken
Chow Mein
Rice
Will make 10 gals of juice for this as well for drinks for the kids and others.

Edit #1: If there are any members attending this that does not eat pork just let me know so I can make sure that there is something else for you to eat.

Edit #2: If we got an idea of the number of people to feed that would be great. That way I can cook accordingly to facilitate this.  If not no worries. I'll get us in the ball park. Thanks

Looking at adding ribs to this but will get to that once I get all the stuff off the main menu first. The 2 pm lunch time will work just fine for my side. Will set up a food line with warmers and stuff.

Camp fires.
When I was up at the sites they had a burn ban posted till after Sept. No charcoal cooking of any type.  Gas or propane cooking only.

Camp site # 8 can handle overflow for a 2 to 3 tents so anyone need space is more than welcomed. Only using the parking area for a 19' travel trailer. Site 10 &11 are a dbl site but we have a 30' 5th wheel with expansions there and a a couple of tents and the rest of the gear there as well. Site 7 is a late add on by another family friend. Not sure what type of gear they are bringing.

SL.. Will send you my Cell Number should you have or need any info for this.

Cheers all! ;)

SmokinJames, we need to start working this on FB, I think you and the person who came last year know more local people who may come on out.  Maybe we can get an idea of folks planning to day-trip.   I'll try to go back through some emails and posts for an idea of who I know is planning on joining us.

OP/Aaron, I plan on bringing 5 gallons of Lavender Lemonade for Saturday.

I will be there Thursday through Monday.  As I said, I'm not sure how cell coverage is out there now.  My cell # is 509-99-SALSA  :D  (509-997-2572).  I think some people had coverage last time, but I can't remembe which carrier.  Not ATT, that much I remember~  :lol:

We made a couple of calls out there using Sprint and it worked fine. I didn't try T mobile on my phone so not sure if they have reception or a tower out that way.

Awesome, Turbo!  Looking forward to meeting you!

organic pepper said:
There's room at my site for over flow. we have a total of 4 sites booked. 7,8,10 &11. 
Me, too.  There are three of us tent/bag camping, and I'm sure we can squeeze someone else in.
We're in #25; electric hook-up available.  We'll only have one Honda CRV.

Don't forget there will be Bloody Marys on Sunday morning, and I'll be bringing 3-4 pounds of
bacon, unless SL and Aaron think we need more.  Just let me know.  Also if there is anything
else as we get closer to the day.

Thanks for bringing the Spicy Worcestershire, Ann.

This will be epic fun.

I'll try to get a photo up of the pods for the contest when we get closer to the moment.

PaulG- 3-4 pounds should be enough.  If I can get it from you Friday, I'll precook it to make it easy on Sunday.  I'm all about prepping!  :lol:

I have about 40 who said they'd be there for the potluck.  Not sure if there will be other people from FB and I'm going to reach out to a couple more industry people as a reminder.  And that is counting 2 people per person who responded, and I think some people will be bringing more than 2.  I've posted to 3 people who previously expressed interest but I haven't heard from in a while.  Will let you know as the info comes in. 

I would love to make it to this at last. It would be a day trip, if we did come. We'd prefer to camp but can't justify spending money on a campsite at this time. They're all reserved anyway.

Sporehead, if you want to camp, there are a couple extra campsites and several people have room for extra tents.

I think we're up to about 45 confirmed for the potluck and 22 for camping.  I'm expecting people to bring more family and friends than what I've counted.

salsalady said:
Sporehead, if you want to camp, there are a couple extra campsites and several people have room for extra tents.
Echo that sentiment!  All you'd have to pay is parking fee for the extra car.

salsalady said:
I think we're up to about 45 confirmed for the potluck and 22 for camping.  I'm expecting people to bring more family and friends than what I've counted.

Awesome!  Was there much rain in that area the past two days?
We had almost an inch here.

We had about an 8th of an inch. Enough to clear the ash out of the air so we can see blue skies for the first time in over 2 weeks. :woohoo: I hope they got some rain. Hoping the burn ban will lift by then.

:( Bummer!  But you can come out Friday or Sunday to say HI. Or come out after the event...if you can still walk~~~ :lol:

salsalady said:
We had about an 8th of an inch. Enough to clear the ash out of the air so we can see blue skies for the first time in over 2 weeks. :woohoo: I hope they got some rain. Hoping the burn ban will lift by then.
The 10 day forecast for Ravensdale looks pretty good.  
Don't know about the burn ban.  Maybe some rain between
now and then would mellow things out a bit.

I'm getting pods ready for the contest.  I'm not sure how to go about it,
so would welcome suggestions.  A lot of one kind?  A variety starting
out hot and getting hotter?  How many of each should I shoot for?

I'm trying to harvest for the fresh pods for the contest, I have some
in the fridge i can use but I'll try to swap out for fresh ones.  Will have
a pic by weekend, I hope.

turbo said:
Well crap, I'm out for Sep 12th.  Forgot I signed up for a half marathon with my wife  :cry:
Boo!  Have fun!

Maybe next year!

If you have a variety, maybe 6 or 8 of each, contestants start with the milder and eat up to the hottest. Also, they can eat the first two, then take a 30 second break, eat the next 2, take a break. That will allow a bit of time for the heat to get going.
Did I already say I would bring a weigh scale? Digital grams. Try to get equal weight.

Getting close for this :dance: Been 20 yrs plus since I went camping. Going to the Cash and Carry, Restaurant Depo and the Chinese markets to start getting stuff for this. Doing a 5 and 6 day marinade on a couple of items.

Sorry to hear you cant make it out Tubro, Well. if you do get a chance that would be great.

Ann Have we figured out about plates, forks, napkins and cups? Let me know or give me a call by next week and I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Wow Paul! Those peppers are sounding awesome for the contest. That's one contest I'm sure I wont be in. At least not camping. Don't want to wake the camp grounds screaming the next morning. :mouthonfire:  Looking forward to seeing everyone there. Cheers all!

Back