• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oddest type of meat that you enjoy eating.

rabbit said:
I don't keep up on everything and now that you told me that. It does look like one. I was one of the gullable. It was cool thinking it was a catfish though:lol: Just imagine the fishfry one could have? LMAO!!!

Quite the party! The pic I posted was emailed to me titled as a giant piranha. They almost had me going but I've never heard of a giant piranha so I Snoped it and, lo and behold, it turned out to be a tiger fish.

stillmanz said:
did you catch the species name? ie helix aspersa? (petit gris)
Well I just got back from the market and picked up 7 more. I asked what species thay were and she showed me the bag. All it said was snail meat (Helix).

Philipperv said:
Quite the party! The pic I posted was emailed to me titled as a giant piranha. They almost had me going but I've never heard of a giant piranha so I Snoped it and, lo and behold, it turned out to be a tiger fish.

I've never used snopes, but I hear it can be handy for stuff like that. Maybe I'll check it out some time in the future.

How you going to cook the igg? I advice out of shell with mushrooms garlic splash of white wine and a dash of cream..... on a bed of mashed spuds.

stillmanz said:
How you going to cook the igg? I advice out of shell with mushrooms garlic splash of white wine and a dash of cream..... on a bed of mashed spuds.

I just did 450 degrees in the over for 10 minutes in shell. Came out great. It had garlic butter in the top of the shell which melted and made it even better...mmmm...now I want more...

rainbowberry said:
I've never had snails but I imagine they're a bit like mussels. I like mussels.

I think they kind of have there own rich and meaty taste. VERY GOOD!! You should consider trying them. Definitely worth it!;):)

stillmanz said:
Alot of people say they taste like mushrooms...earthy I guess, is a good way to describe them.

I was honestly going to say that earlier, but didn't get to it yet. I think they taste like a cross between an oyster (Actual sea ones not the mushroom.) and an earthy morel mushroom. What's funny is when my wife eats morel mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic she says they taste like escargot. They do taste pretty similar. Definitely a tasty treat. I rarely eat snails because they are expensive, but a little more than a month ago we had some for an appetizer at an Italian restaurant. GOOD STUFF!!

How about what you hate eating. I had Anchovies last night at a restaurant, oh God never again, they had little bones in them and looked like baby eels.

rainbowberry said:
How about what you hate eating. I had Anchovies last night at a restaurant, oh God never again, they had little bones in them and looked like baby eels.

I can only deal with them ground up in caesar dressing.

DevilDuck said:
Once again, I could comment..... but I'll just leave it alone.
Don't worry, I'll do it for you.

rainbowberry said:
I like mussels.

: does Arnold Schwartzenegger accent :

"Yaaaaghh! I like muscles toooha! Dat is why I am alwahs in da ghym, working out!"

: flexes :

Back