• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oddest type of meat that you enjoy eating.

I have a feeling that in many cases the "oddest type of meat," will be regionally specific.

In my case it might be gaggers, or hot weiners. They're native to RI, and quite hard (or impossible) to find outside of RI. They look similar to small hot dogs, but they are totally different. They're spiced, and they use different meats.

They're typically served "all the way." That means: Chili sauce (it's like ground beef pan fried with chili powder and other spices), diced onions, mustard and celery salt.

Not the best picture, but here's the real deal:
263425_pict0059.jpg

Omri said:
Organs are much tastier than muscles. just take a look at animals hunting. the first to arrive eats the organs

well if its so tasty, why add any spices to the mixture of haggis ?
you should be able to eat haggis just plain then. or any organ plain for that matter.
I know I can throw a steak on the grill plain & enjoy eating it. how about you eating some stomach & whatnot plain ?

as for the wild animals eating the organs 1st, I think it has more to deal with the nutrients more than flavor. remember animals lick their own ass (or eat poop & afterbirth) so I dont think flavor is high on their priority list ;):lol:

here ya go, you got a craving for some livestock afterbirth ? :lol:

when a animals body craves or needs something they're gonna go straight for that source, organs!
& organs have ALOT of nutrients that a wild animal needs. just like shed antlers/bones animals chew on those because their body craves it & needs the nutrients! & its not because of flavor!

chilehunter said:
well if its so tasty, why add any spices to the mixture of haggis ?
you should be able to eat haggis just plain then. or any organ plain for that matter.
I know I can throw a steak on the grill plain & enjoy eating it. how about you eating some stomach & whatnot plain ?

as for the wild animals eating the organs 1st, I think it has more to deal with the nutrients more than flavor. remember animals lick their own ass (or eat poop & afterbirth) so I dont think flavor is high on their priority list ;):lol:

here ya go, you got a craving for some livestock afterbirth ? :lol:

when a animals body craves or needs something they're gonna go straight for that source, organs!
& organs have ALOT of nutrients that a wild animal needs. just like shed antlers/bones animals chew on those because their body craves it & needs the nutrients! & its not because of flavor!
*I* eat organs without any spices. some do cook 'em with spices (just like some people enjoy muscles with spices), I don't. they taste a whole lot better without, just like a good steak. each organ has a different flavor to it as well. yum!

BTW animals do go first for the organs because of the flavor and fattiness. it's like chocolate for them.

Gizzards

Dude Chicken Gizzards with a cayenne or tabasco flavored sauce...I prefer Louisiana Gold..one yummy ass meal for under 5 bones:onfire:

Omri said:
BTW animals do go first for the organs because of the flavor and fattiness. it's like chocolate for them.

I guess you & me have different views when it comes to this.
heres 1 point I forgot to mention earlier, the organs are softer & easier to eat vs muscle. this is a big issue when it comes to the young & older animals or animals that dont have anymeans to chew (like birds)

correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think organs have alot of fat on or in them. muscle tissue on the other hand does!

I'll agree with you that organs have their own different flavor, just like the intestines have their own flavor when they're full ;) so I come back to "flavor" is not always on the top of their priority list.

but on the other hand organs do give off a certain flavor because of certain types of nutrients (minerals)that are inside the organ.
just like deer will dig up holes in the ground & eat the dirt that has had minerals placed at that location. so do you still say its about flavor ? how does dirt rank up there for flavor ?

chilehunter said:
I guess you & me have different views when it comes to this.
heres 1 point I forgot to mention earlier, the organs are softer & easier to eat vs muscle. this is a big issue when it comes to the young & older animals or animals that dont have anymeans to chew (like birds)

correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think organs have alot of fat on or in them. muscle tissue on the other hand does!

I'll agree with you that organs have their own different flavor, just like the intestines have their own flavor when they're full ;) so I come back to "flavor" is not always on the top of their priority list.

but on the other hand organs do give off a certain flavor because of certain types of nutrients (minerals)that are inside the organ.
just like deer will dig up holes in the ground & eat the dirt that has had minerals placed at that location. so do you still say its about flavor ? how does dirt rank up there for flavor ?
Some animals eat salt. that doesn't taste good, but they need it. I'm not talking about what animals eat, but what animals actually like.
As anyone with a pet know, animals will prefer some food over others. why is that? flavor. unless you're giving them crappy food. :lol:

BTW, have you ever seen a heart before? it's actually covered with visible fat. not just a little bit, but a lot. even if it's a healthy heart.
bentalphanerd said:
yeah most carnivores dont have a lot of taste buds. Its more about smell initially & texture more than taste.
Smell is 80%-95% of taste.

Omri said:
As anyone with a pet know, animals will prefer some food over others. why is that? flavor. unless you're giving them crappy food. :lol:

My dog Murphy goes mental over carrots and broccoli, stuff the meat.

fineexampl said:
Just your normal style back bacon, unsmoked. Streaky bacon is US style bacon, which is also good, but not considered "proper" bacon as it's said. :) Like this...
150irishbacon.jpg

I go to my buddies butcher shop and buy that all the time they call it pemeal bacon but the same thing

the heart is an extremely lean meat muscle chewing and kinda gross but lean.
offal is making a comebackon some of the traditional restuarants round the world.
I don't do lung and I'm not a fan of kidneys or liver.
A shooter friend of mine bought me some kangaroo he had shot for me to make jerky, in a plastic bag in the box was a kidney. I wasn't really paying to much attention ripped the kidney out of the bag notied a little incision in the side, I gave it a sniff.... man
it smelt like a kangaroo that had been peed on, nasty nasty smell that stayed on my hands and the back of my throat for a while.
if you ever get the chance to sniff a fresh kangaroo kidney, don't
lol

stillmanz said:
friend of mine bought me some kangaroo

A friend of mine brought back some kangaroo jerky while at the Olympics in Sydney. I thought it was great, nice and moist, good texture, wish he had more. He is going to China, hope he doesn't bring any bear paw or tiger p*nis jerky back this time. lol

stillmanz said:
the heart is an extremely lean meat muscle chewing and kinda gross but lean.
offal is making a comebackon some of the traditional restuarants round the world.
I don't do lung and I'm not a fan of kidneys or liver.
A shooter friend of mine bought me some kangaroo he had shot for me to make jerky, in a plastic bag in the box was a kidney. I wasn't really paying to much attention ripped the kidney out of the bag notied a little incision in the side, I gave it a sniff.... man
it smelt like a kangaroo that had been peed on, nasty nasty smell that stayed on my hands and the back of my throat for a while.
if you ever get the chance to sniff a fresh kangaroo kidney, don't
lol
I missed out on my one and only chance to try kangaroo. We don't get that stuff stateside, but it was on a menu at a place called Rattlesnake Ranch and i opted for the ostrich instead. The roo was a curried and i'm not a big fan of curry so the steak was a better option. :rolleyes:

Omri said:
Some animals eat salt. that doesn't taste good, but they need it. I'm not talking about what animals eat, but what animals actually like.

BTW, have you ever seen a heart before? it's actually covered with visible fat. not just a little bit, but a lot. even if it's a healthy heart.

Smell is 80%-95% of taste.

theres more minerals than just salt!

well some animals like some things others of the same species do not like, even if its not crappy food, its called being picky.

have I seen a heart ? yes I have several times, in fact I've pulled them right out of the body with all the other organs. & the ones I've seen I'd have to say they're not laced with fat, some very small ammounts of fat on the organs if any.

smell & taste are two different senses!

like I said I'll agree with you organs have a different flavor, but what kind of flavor is it ? is it because of the nutrients inside of it that a animal might crave ? or is it just because of a feeding frenzy & a lust for blood to eat the most tender parts of an animal (the organs)

I just dont think its about the flavor you're speaking of why wild animals eat organs 1st.

chilehunter said:
theres more minerals than just salt!

well some animals like some things others of the same species do not like, even if its not crappy food, its called being picky.

have I seen a heart ? yes I have several times, in fact I've pulled them right out of the body with all the other organs. & the ones I've seen I'd have to say they're not laced with fat, some very small ammounts of fat on the organs if any.

smell & taste are two different senses!

like I said I'll agree with you organs have a different flavor, but what kind of flavor is it ? is it because of the nutrients inside of it that a animal might crave ? or is it just because of a feeding frenzy & a lust for blood to eat the most tender parts of an animal (the organs)

I just dont think its about the flavor you're speaking of why wild animals eat organs 1st.
1. salt was just an example.
2. "picky"? why is that? because it looks better?
3. organs like heart are often covered with fat, don't have any fat in them (that would kill the living creature), but organs like liver have a fatty tissue, so it's all a combination of fat and other things. I eat livers at least twice a week, BTW.
4. what we define as "taste" is a combo of mainly smell and what our taste buds detect. do apples, potatoes and onions have a completely different taste? they all taste the same when you block your nose.
5. you might agree and you might not. I'm telling you I know endless people who like most organs better than a steak. do they have a blind craving for nutrients as well? I'm not trying to make you agree, just sharing what I KNOW.

Omri said:
4. what we define as "taste" is a combo of mainly smell and what our taste buds detect. do apples, potatoes and onions have a completely different taste? they all taste the same when you block your nose.

yes apples,taters,onions taste different ! let alone the texture is different for each.

I'll agree to disagree with you on the organ theory.

How can this thread exist without my favorite odd snack?

grilled chicken hearts (on sticks!), MMmmmmmm

I get the oddest looks from folks when trying to locate sources.

Back