beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

grantmichaels said:
i don't recall you brewing inside, but maybe in the beginning before going AG or something ...

I did the wit split batches inside too.  And yeah, I did my extract brews on the stove as well.

3 Otters

13 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.1 %
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 2 12.9 %
2.00 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 15.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 8.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 1.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -

Here's the recipe for 5 gals.  I just scaled it down for this one.

Mash at 149.  60min boil.  

Starting at 1.072 which is a little under target but makes sense being there is still a 1/3 lb of sugar to go in.

Going to ferment starting at 64F and raise it a 2 degree a day up to 70F.  I saved some of the candi sugar to add once the ferment has slowed down to make sure the yeast chews up all the complex sugars first.  After 7 days I'll cold crash it and bottle it up. :)

In the chamber

3 days later added the candi sugar.

Cold crashed for 3 days then bottled.

2 weeks later in the glass

Still could be more carbed up. Hopefully by the time Wheebz test them out it will be carbed up all the way.

tctenten said:
Looking good Ozzy!

The only one that is left to start their brew is.....
i have the time this weekend ...

i am def going to be enjoying hobby time ...

it might include brewing ... or bottling, or bbq, or bread-making, or pasta-making, or planting out, or i might just hang out naked sloth style and put a dent into that Bulleit bottle trying shit out, LOL - we'll see how it goes ...
Ozzy2001 said:
Mash at 149.  60min boil.  

Going to ferment starting at 64F and raise it a degree a day up to 70F.  I saved some of the candi sugar to add once the ferment has slowed down to make sure the yeast chews up all the complex sugars first.  After 7 days I'll cold crash it and bottle it up. :)
Sounds like a good plan, to me =)

completely turn off the temp controller after day 3 and just let it do its thing

500 works best over 70 degrees, its mostly used for dubbels and quads because of the darker fruit flavors, so should be cool in a tripel

I know using the airlock is not a good way to determine when fermentation has ended (one of my first batches ever, the airlock hardly was moving which concerned me, but after a week if was completely fermented via gravity reading;  It turned out to be a leaky bucket lid). but yesterday it was still bubbling once every 40 seconds so I let it sit one more day and racked it this morning.  Gravity read at approximately 1.008.

In secondary at 65 degrees

I plan on letting it condition for a week, then dry hop for a week, then bottle.  Cheers everyone and have a good weekend :drunk:

Crashing

B7D7DBEE-4C6E-4C34-8901-B5AA4423D2B6_zpsphgieanc.jpg

All right... Three Otters tripel is bottled.

Got a case out of the batch. 23 bottles and one liter in the fridge force carbing.

Sample taste great. Can't wait to taste it chilled and carbed. I'm super happy with how this turned out. It smells great.

So I need some help figuring the ABV. I had 3 gallons after the boil at 1.072. I added .5lb of candy sugar with a PPG of 1.032. The beer finished at 1.010, which I am thrilled about, since this style really need to ferment out clean.

Anyway, how do I figure this ABV?

Back