beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

Let's get this Kolsch thread going so we can talk smack re: Kolsch-related BS in the right place, and get to brewing sooner than later ...

I'm probably going to try to brew mine ahead of my BBQ contest, to be able to participate, which would be like Thursday ...

tctenten said:
Wheebz since we found out that beer is the meaning of life, can you write up the next brew down during the week? Memorial Day weekend is next weekend and I would like to brew one of the days, but not sure what my BBQ schedule will be.

wheebz said:

Wheebz said NO!!  to an early start for the Mem day weekend.
grantmichaels said:
Said no to what?

I was about to argue that the extra time would be needed for even having a chance at the lagering phase, but I see you've opened it up ...

Ozzy -

I skimmed the earlier pages of the thread, here, for the details ...

3 Otters

Here's the recipe for 5 gals.

13 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.1 %
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 2 12.9 %
2.00 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 15.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 8.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 1.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -

Starter, or no starter? (how many ml, if so ...)

Mash at 149.  60min boil.  

Start Ferm at 64F, raise it 1F each day ... although later it sounded like you ended up going +2F/day up to 70F after Wheebz mentioned the yeast typically being used warmer. Yes?

OG at 1.072 with 1/3 lb of sugar to go. 1/2 lb of candy sugar with a PPG of 1.032 added to goose end of ferm, and the beer finished at 1.010.

Did you use liquid or solid candi sugar? If solid, did you boil is down to get the PPG, or ? ... I've never used candi sugar ...

Thanks.

Looks like a pretty straightforward brew, that I can do without having to mash serially etc ...

I'm assuming I need to scale down the Saaz with the grains above too, right - that those are 5 gal hop addition amounts? ...

I have no idea how our water compares, either.

tctenten said:
Ozzy and GM. Look at Longtrails lineup and tell me which one you gus want to try. I have that readily available.

The one's that seem the most interesting to me, are predictably:

Culmination
Triple Bag or better yet, Barrel-Aged Triple Bag
Double Bag
Farmhouse Collection: American IPA or Stout

Back