beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

I came home from work to a tragedy. The airlock sucked in all the liquid from the airlock while cold crashing. I don't know if it happened today or yesterday, but the brew is definitely compromised. I got to watch $73 slowly pour down the drain. WTF!!!! Live and learn I guess, but what a huge PITA.

why the hell would you dump that!!!

dude its just an airlock, and its in an already finished beer, the chance of infection is like 1% MAYBE

plus its cold

bacteria that will infect finished beer take months to show their faces, you could have had that drank in 2 weeks

wheebz said:
why the hell would you dump that!!!

dude its just an airlock, and its in an already finished beer, the chance of infection is like 1% MAYBE

plus its cold

bacteria that will infect finished beer take months to show their faces, you could have had that drank in 2 weeks

Shit, I probably should have consulted you before taking such a drastic action. I was mainly worried about oxidation. It could have been exposed to the air for a day or two. Wouldn't that murder the flavor?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I came home from work to a tragedy. The airlock sucked in all the liquid from the airlock while cold crashing. I don't know if it happened today or yesterday, but the brew is definitely compromised. I got to watch $73 slowly pour down the drain. WTF!!!! Live and learn I guess, but what a huge PITA.

How did you have $73 in that batch? You buying grain and hops in dime bags? Lol

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Hahahaha! It was a 7 gallon batch, with 9 ounces of hops.
Ouch $$$$$, money down the drain!    Ive been there but not at that cost.  
 Weebs is right, the chance of contam was prob nil.  Didnt you say you just transferred to secondary?   so im assuming the airlock liquid was fairly clean...did you use any alcohol in it? 

PepTalk said:
Ouch $$$$$, money down the drain!    Ive been there but not at that cost.  
 Weebs is right, the chance of contam was prob nil.  Didnt you say you just transferred to secondary?   so im assuming the airlock liquid was fairly clean...did you use any alcohol in it? 
Water and 1step in the airlock. It had been exposed to air for potentially two full days, which is why I figured it was oxidized,amd dumped it.

Why did you throw it Dale, that was good beer!? Somebody give this man a warning point. Years from now we're gonna be like, "remember that time Dale threw out all that good beer" Lol... just messing witcha, you probably got 10 more batches chillin, I hope. I have no room to talk anyways, I have zero batches under my belt.

Grass Snake said:
Why did you throw it Dale, that was good beer!? Somebody give this man a warning point. Years from now we're gonna be like, "remember that time Dale threw out all that good beer" Lol... just messing witcha, you probably got 10 more batches chillin, I hope. I have no room to talk anyways, I have zero batches under my belt.
I didn't want to mess with oxidized beer. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I brewed two different batches today, so It's all good.

Back