beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

All day I have been attempting to log onto photobucket to upload my latest picture but it keeps saying page cannot be displayed.  I have used multiple computers with same result.  I am not sure if the site is down or over used due to black Friday so all I can do is write text.  That sucks green chili, hope this new one goes alright.  Final gravity was 14.  I had to let it sit a couple of more days than planned because I went out of town for a few days and the room I had my brew in dipped down to 61 so I had to warm up the room and let it sit for two more days.  It just means that my dry hop will be reduced to 4 days which should be fine anyways.  I will keep trying to log on to photobucket throughout the day to see if I can get my latest pic up.

I did a 4 ounce hop charge earlier today, since the WLP008 has been making some quick work with this batch. I'm very impressed with WLP008 over the WLP002 I used on the first batch. It was fermenting very well after only 5 hours of pitching the yeast. I'll give it a few more days, check the gravity, then rack and dry hop it with 2 ounces of Citra hop hash.

looks great

I am going to be bottling our bourbon barrel aged russian imperial stout tomorrow, so whoever gets me bottles ill ship them some back to the address they sent me them from

and im gonna send rocketman some as well, even though he doesnt drink anymore, maybe he will have a special occasion or something

Can't wait. Hopefully, mine will be all carbed up late next week and in the mail.
I need to bottle that dunkel I brewed too and get your feedback.

Wheebz you want to make another thread to post our recipes and everything so it's easier to find?

Brewing software is based on a boil-off rate that you set per kettle ...

1/2 gal/hr is common, I think ...

Folks outside with gas hit or exceed it, easily ...

Inside, in electric brewery-ville though - things don't pan out with the weak boil (that Ozzy doesn't experience) ...

Take a ruler and figure out there heights of each gallon added to your pot, because of the rounded corners/bottom, it'll be X and Y per gallon added ...

Mine's like 3/4" for the 1st gallon,  and about 1/2" for each  gallon added thereafter ... for instance ...

Boil a predetermined number of gallons, use the clock for an hour at max power, and calculate your boil-off rate ...

When you plug that into Beersmith for the vessel, your strike water scenario will pan out ...

Hint: Mine was as low as .25 gal/hr in the eBIAB rig ...

I have my spiced Belgian ready to ship. I started early on my RIS, it is sitting in secondary on espresso beans right now. I won't be able to ship my Belgian til next week though, due to the ruthless work hours I've had. It is carbed and ready to enjoy, though. Will the freezing/thawing temps diminish the quality of the brew while in transit?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I have my spiced Belgian ready to ship. I started early on my RIS, it is sitting in secondary on espresso beans right now. I won't be able to ship my Belgian til next week though, due to the ruthless work hours I've had. It is carbed and ready to enjoy, though. Will the freezing/thawing temps diminish the quality of the brew while in transit?
I would say no....beer delivery trucks operate in this weather with no heating/insulation for the beer.

wheebz said:
you want between a 4-8% boil off

ideally I try to hit 7%, and I adjust temp/steam psi to achieve that

If I am doing math right....too lazy to go plug into beersmith right now...for a 3 gallon batch I would only need 3.25 gallons pre boil.

3.25 x128 = 416 x.93 = 386 oz or 3 gallons

Look forward to testing this out.

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 2.49.51 PM.png

Here is my Spiced Witbier.  I missed my OG and my ABV targets but always interested in your comments.  

i am sure you will like the other stuff I sent a bit better.

It should be at Collusion on Tuesday via UPS.

IMG_7164.JPG

Back