beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

milkshake is in its own category, and thats because he does put flour in it, but it also means that in two weeks the beer is absolute garbage

he literally puts wheat flour in his beer, he admits it, and Milkshake isnt a NE IPA, its got straight fruit juice, lactose sugar, and wheat flour in the beer, its in its own category of weird shit

wheebz said:
milkshake is in its own category, and thats because he does put flour in it, but it also means that in two weeks the beer is absolute garbage

he literally puts wheat flour in his beer, he admits it, and Milkshake isnt a NE IPA, its got straight fruit juice, lactose sugar, and wheat flour in the beer, its in its own category of weird shit

yeah, that's a snarky beer ... kind of love that it exists. makes all of the hater talk/shows more fun ...

Here we go again!  This is the most experimental beer I have ever done to date as I have never used many of the techniques that I am employing nor have I used 5 of the 8 hop varieties I am using for this beer before.  It is kind of odd because I formulated this recipe back in May when I thought we were going to do it for June and then we took the summer off.  The only changes I made were to the timing of the hopstand and an additional hop addition to the fermentation.

Hop Delerium

Ingredients:

Grain:

• 8 lbs Maris Otter
  • 7 lbs Breiss Pale Ale 2 Row
  • 8 oz Weyermann Carafoam
  • 2 lbs Flaked Oats
  • 0.5 lb Rice Hulls

Hops:

• 1.0 oz Falconer's Flight, 1.0 Calypso - 10 min
  • 1.0 oz Azacca, 1.0 oz Jarrylo - 5 min
  • 2.0 Citra, 2.0 oz Motueka - hopstand for 30 min at 120 degrees
  • 1.0 Citra, 1.0 oz Mozaic, 1.0 oz Galaxy - Day 3 fermentation
  • 1.0 Citra, 1.0 oz Mozaic, 1.0 oz Galaxy - Dry

Yeast:

• Wyeast 1318 starter

Other:

• 3/4 cup priming sugar
  • 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient - 10 min
  • Muntons Plain Extra Light DME for yeast starter

Mash:

• 152.2 F, 4.50 gal

Sparge:

• 170 F, 6.64 gal

Ferment:

• 66 F for 7 days with hop addition on day 3
  • rack into secondary with dry hops
  • dry hop 6 days
  • bottle and ship on 30th

Rice Hulls rinsed off

Mash temp a tad high but ok

Wort collected and heating up

Hot Break Achieved

First Hop addition

Second Hop addition

Hops added for hopstand

Hopstand at 120 degrees for 30 minutes

Wort chilled, gravity clocking in at 1.064

Wort aerated and in fermentation bucket

Yeast starter looking good

Yeast starter pitched

Ready, Set, Ferment!  I started out with a blow hose because I heard this strain can be pretty violent.  See you in a few!

I just racked my NE IPA into secondary to cold crash. Krausen had dropped, and a ton of yeast had flocculated already, plus most of the dry hops had dropped as well. There was seriously a good gallon of trub. Next time I might take it easy on the wheat and oats. This one is a serious milkshake. I was looking to make something hazy, but this is ridiculous.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I just racked my NE IPA into secondary to cold crash. Krausen had dropped, and a ton of yeast had flocculated already, plus most of the dry hops had dropped as well. There was seriously a good gallon of trub. Next time I might take it easy on the wheat and oats. This one is a serious milkshake. I was looking to make something hazy, but this is ridiculous.

a single pass through a 5 micron filter may pull out most but not all if your in a hurry!

PepTalk said:
a single pass through a 5 micron filter may pull out most but not all if your in a hurry!
I'm in no hurry, but keep in mind I wanted it hazy anyway, plus it already dropped out a gallon of trub. I'm sure a filter could do some work, but this is one of the haziest beers I've seen. We'll see what happens after two to three days of cold crashing.

CaneDog said:
Great pics jbeer. The one double-fisting the hop additions is perfect for this style - has a "mad scientist" look to it pulling out all the stops on hops.

So, 152.2 was high for you?  I mashed at 153 for this one.

In my short time of brewing, with the amount of grain that I used would normally put my OG in the 70s if I mashed just below 152 with my system.  Whenever I am above it, no matter how far, for me, it must pump out more unfermentable sugars and drops my gravity.  That is why I said it was a tad high

jbeer32 said:

In my short time of brewing, with the amount of grain that I used would normally put my OG in the 70s if I mashed just below 152 with my system.  Whenever I am above it, no matter how far, for me, it must pump out more unfermentable sugars and drops my gravity.  That is why I said it was a tad high
The higher you mash the more unfermebtables you will get. Which is also why you get a thicker mouthfeel. Lower mash temp will be more fermentable and a clean finish.

Back