• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Orange Thai x Goat's Weed F1

This is one of my crosses I am growing this year which I think is very promising.:) Hoping to inspire more people to develop new interesting varieties...

I can say that you are in for a real treat when it comes to the "Orange Thai x Goat's Weed" - at least that's what I think... Fruits started to mature here in late July grown on the exact same spot and in the same pot as the original Goat's Weed last year - and they first started to mature when I moved the pot inside in early October last year, that is more than two months later! ;D So, what about heat and flavour? I believe they are quite alike the original, which means very, very hot and with a nice, strong flavour that is hard to describe - maybe "tomatoey"..?

Since I like this plant so much I will grow several F2-plants next year in the hope that a nice early one will show up with loads of pubescence and black fruits...

DSCN0303b.jpg

DSCN0310b.jpg

DSCN0311b.jpg

DSCN0315b.jpg

Nice Plant Donnie..you and John are doing really well with the Orange Thai x Goat's Weed combination if you have any seeds left after trades with others id be glad to trade with you to,great pictures and information from John and yourself..keep us posted :)

Nice cross Donnie hope you make more crosses I having some this year too will see how they will develop if they going to have time to ripe outside.

talas said:
Nice Plant Donnie..you and John are doing really well with the Orange Thai x Goat's Weed combination if you have any seeds left after trades with others id be glad to trade with you to,great pictures and information from John and yourself..keep us posted :)

cmpman1974 said:
I'd be happy to grow some F1 seeds. :) I love the combination!

Chris

I have no F1-seeds left, but a few F2-seeds from isolated pods + a lot of seeds from non-isolated pods. I any of you want selfed F2-seeds send me a PM and I will put you on the list...

I love my goats weed and i think your combo is going to be great.

Is it a good winter plant like the original goats weed??

moyboy said:
Is it a good winter plant like the original goats weed??

I have no idea - but if the original Goat's Weed is, I would say chances are good that it is...;)

Send me a PM if you want to put on the list for seeds...

An update to this thread...

I grew out the F2-generation in 2009 from selfed seeds (13 plants) and got plants with different traits - different degree of pubescens (hairyness) and 2 plants (about 1 out of 4 plants like expected) had orange pods, the rest had red pods because it is dominant to orange.

I overwintered the 2 orange plants and grew them again in 2010 and got selfed seeds from both.

This year I am growing seeds from the best of the two orange plants from 2010.
Photos here...

DSCN3321.jpg

DSCN3323.jpg

DSCN3324.jpg

DSCN3325.jpg

DSCN3326.jpg

Hairy orange thai... brilliant.

Yes, main goal was to get the combination of a more cold hardy thai-type and earlier version of the Goat's Weed. This seems to be going well... Pubescens/hairyness is a difficult trait to stabilize, since it is a quantitative trait (more or less, from almost nothing and varying to a lot of it, but seldomly like the original Goat's Weed - it seems to be the same challenge when it comes to purple foliage) ) and not qualitative (red or orange for example, so much easier to get this)

very nice. me likey.

how's the heat on those babies?

It varies a bit since it is a F3-generation I am growing this year - but generally hot to very hot, which is not surprising having the two parent varieties in mind.

Great combination and pretty plants. I'd like to try it next year. I love having Thai chilies ready while I'm waiting for my others to ripen. PM on the way.

Awesome cross and you've got a really beautiful type of plant stabilizing there. I'd love to try to grow this strain.

For the ones wanting seeds - sorry, I am not giving away seeds of my crosses anymore.
You would have to make your own crosses, this thread was originally intended to inspire people to make their own crosses. Feel free to copycat this cross, but I am hoping you make up your own ideas/projects.

Best of luck!
Donnie

2011 update

A lot of F2-plants grown this year - pubescens/hairyness varies very much from almost nothing to almost as much as in the original Goat's Weed. They were all grown from seeds from the same F1-pod.

All plants, notice also the difference in size and growth habit.
DSCN1236.jpg

An example of the presence of hairyness,,,
DSCN1237.jpg

An example of almost total lack of hairyness:
DSCN1238.jpg

Back