Ozzy's All Grain on deck

I have had to hold back over the last few months, and as I pour my third pint of Hefe after my second last day of work after getting home 30 minutes ago, I have to declare.  Beer.  Is.  Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Looking tasty already Ozzy! 

So excited!! There is a real lhbs open now 10 mins from my house. The same guy has another shop about 45 mins away. He has liquid yeast and can order stuff if I give him a heads up. I was a kid in a candy store. He had whole leaf hops and a lot of equipment. Very cool.

The porter seems to be coming along. The krausen has dropped, but the bubbling continues. I put the vanilla beans and cocoa nibs in some Puerto Rican run tonight to soak for when I rack to the secondary. Gonna be tasty :)

Cool. Sounds like a good one!

I need to get my shit together and brew something soon ...

No shortage of brewed beer, though, so it's hard to prioritize it ...

Did another side by side clone comparison.
Left clone. Right Barney Flatts.

Similar, but again, no clone. It was short on the caramel malt and possibly the chocolate. I think the oats and roasted were pretty close. Both smooth. Mine was a little lighter in color too.

Funny thing is, when you drink them side by side you discover things you don't like as much about the clone. Flatts had a little too much caramel for my taste. I actually mixed the last 1/3 of each glass together and it was right where I would want it. I will definitely brew this again, raising the caramel and chocolate a little bit. Fun experiment.

Racked the Toffee Porter over to the secondary.  Racked it onto the liquid victory (nib/vanilla/rum solution).  Smells special.  It fermented real nice from 1.059 to 1.015 for an ABV of 5.78.  It may drop another point or two.  It still had little active bubbles going in it.  I'll probably let it sit for a couple of weeks before I bottle it.  I can't wait to taste it finished though.  Right now its pretty good and silky smooth.  

Have to figure out what is going to be next now.  Its between an Imperial Stout (likely), another IPA, or a wheat.  I do have all those Cascade hops to use up though, so it may be the IPA first.

Again, if anyone would like some of those hops please do not be afraid to ask.  I grabbed more than I will need/use, and I'd love to send them out.

If I explore anything soon, its going to be some mead.  As long as it needs to sit I should start some now, so it would be ready by summer.

DIPA round II is carbed and ready to go.  Yum, Yum.  I still have a couple of bottles of the last one.  I'm going to do a side by side on them as well.  Half of this batch is going to my brother-in-law.  He went in on the grain with me. So thinking out loud now, I guess I may brew up another IPA with those Cascade hops.  I may just do a SmaSh batch with it.

Yeah ... I'm probably going to brew a DIPA/Columbus as my first 10-12 gal batch, and split it down for varied dry hopping etc ...

I have a lot of stout in my house, now, and honestly ... the DIPA's are the best beers to produce fresh at home ... none of the IPA's I buy commercially have that fresh Citra nectar taste ...

Ozzy2001 said:
Racked the Toffee Porter over to the secondary.  Racked it onto the liquid victory (nib/vanilla/rum solution).  Smells special.  It fermented real nice from 1.059 to 1.015 for an ABV of 5.78.  It may drop another point or two.  It still had little active bubbles going in it.  I'll probably let it sit for a couple of weeks before I bottle it.  I can't wait to taste it finished though.  Right now its pretty good and silky smooth.  

Have to figure out what is going to be next now.  Its between an Imperial Stout (likely), another IPA, or a wheat.  I do have all those Cascade hops to use up though, so it may be the IPA first.

Again, if anyone would like some of those hops please do not be afraid to ask.  I grabbed more than I will need/use, and I'd love to send them out.

Do you have to dry those hops before using?  A recipe that I have my eye on actually calls for Cascade. 

Back